This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1955 D-Patrol / Road Grader Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-Patrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1955 D-Patrol / Road Grader Problem
    Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 9:14pm
Hello Everyone,   
This is my first time to post to this site and I am not experienced at this, so please bear with me. 

Several years ago, I purchased a D Grader in need of a new engine.   After a complete overhaul and new clutch, new hydraulic hoses, fuel tank, etc, it was working great.   I've probably put about 50 hours on her in the last two years.   

Now here's the problem.   about two weeks ago, I was out back working and leveling an area in the pasture.    I overworked it and killed the engine.   Upon attempting to restart, the starter locked.   I walked home.   The next day the snowstorm hit South Dakota, followed by freezing temps.   The blade and tires froze to the ground.   The rear wheels were probably in 6 inch holes.   

This past week the weather improved and there was some thawing.   I got her started.   On my first attempt to move her, something popped in the drive-line.  

With the aid of a tractor, we managed to free her and she made it back to the farm under her own power.   However, as soon as you put the blade down, it starts knocking and the tires do not spin/move.   If you pick up the blade and release the clutch, she will usually move, however she may only move 15-20 feet and then the knocking starts again.  This happens in all four gears.   The knocking appears to be coming from the transmission/rear end.    

Would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions?   Obviously, I suspect I'm going to have to pull the engine, transmission, etc.   Parts will be required.  I don't have a good idea what's available and from who????  Thank you so much.   My phone number if 501-908-9676.   If I do not answer, please leave a message.  

Thank you!

Michael in South Dakota
Sponsored Links

dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 10:51pm
water did not get in the rear-end did it''an freeze up ' may broke something inside the pig 
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 2:09am
I was thinking a broken drive chain between the wheels or broken teeth on the sprocket but if it sounds like its coming from the trans/deferential it could be a broken ring gear tooth or spider gear.  Lots of possibilities.  Maybe jack it up and turn the wheels by hand to see if you can make it make noises. 
Oh, and welcome to the forum, I'm sure someone more knowable then me can help.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 4:59am
I think certain of these graders had a stub shaft problem.  Look to see if both input shafts to the gearboxes are are rotating...
D-Patrol View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-Patrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 12:19pm
Thank you all for your thoughts.   I spoke to a local mechanic last nite and he suggested it could be a problem with the clutch.   I'd like to tear it down asap, however we're in the process of buying a new house which is supposed to be delivered in the next 4 weeks.  

I am probably going to need parts!   

Do any of you have parts graders?   

I'm also looking for a cab for my patrol?

Thank you and I will be in touch. 

Merry Christmas and God Bless you! 

Michael from South Dakota
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 12:40pm
My guess is the crown and pinion. A couple of teeth off the crown gear. Take a mechanics magnet and slip it down the fill hole at the back of the differential and see if any pieces come out.  One or two chains wouldn't cause a problem since all four wheels are locked together. There are no differential gears. I did get some parts from a parts grader in Ontario a few years ago but I don't know what is  left. It did have a cab.
Jack of all trades, master of none
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 7:00pm
I have a nice metal cab off of our D road grader that I would sell. I could get you some pictures let me know. Thanks Jason Witzel Madison NE
D-Patrol View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-Patrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 8:52pm
Hi Jason Witzel!   

Yes, I would like to see pictures!   I'm really a JD guy but have kinda fallen for the Ole Allis!!!   She's a workhorse....!   Please send pictures of the cab with pricing to michaelkclites@hotail.com!   Thank you so much!!

mike
D-Patrol View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-Patrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 8:53pm
Hi Jason Witzel!   

Yes, I would like to see pictures!   I'm really a JD guy but have kinda fallen for the Ole Allis!!!   She's a workhorse....!   Please send pictures of the cab with pricing to michaelkclites@hotail.com!   Thank you so much!!

mike
D-Patrol View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-Patrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 8:54pm
Thank you Don!

I will try that when I get back from Christmas Vacation....!    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!    Michael
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 9:06pm
Construction machinery salvage guy I knew real well told me those d's have weak ring gears.Easy to bust em if overloaded.Figured he knew what he was talking about.
Tony.Or View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony.Or Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 5:16pm
 Mike !  If  the clutch  went  sour  let  me know..  Tony
D-Patrol View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-Patrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 2:08pm
Good Afternoon!!    

Thank you for your email.    I am very interested in your cab.   My phone number is 501-908-9676 or michaelkclites@hotmail.com.   Please let me know.   Thank you...!    Michael   
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 3:48am
Took pictures today. I will email them to you tomorrow. THanks
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 8:12am
well....maybe we wanna see that dang pics too Jason!
D-Patrol View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-Patrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 7:59pm
Hi Jason,

Don't know if you emailed me the pictures or not.   If you did, I haven't been able to find them yet.   Will Check my Junk Mail box, sometimes they go there....   If you haven't sent them yet, please do when you have a moment.   Your life is probably about as crazy as mine.   Right now it's BUSY!   Too much stuff to do....!    LOL...    

Anyway, hoping you had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year...!   Keep in touch!   Looking forward to your pictures....!   

Michael
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:13pm
sent it again to you. Thank you. and hope you had a great xmas to
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:16pm
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:17pm
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:21pm

Tried several times emailing you and it went through every time. Not sure why your not getting them. Here you go
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 7:45am
dang....that is a nice cab!
D-Patrol View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-Patrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 10:42pm
Jason,

Thank you so much for the pictures.   I received them and will call your Father.   

Will be in touch!

Michael
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic