This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1950 WD Sitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKarpel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1950 WD Sitting
    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 4:26pm
We have a 1950 WD that has been sitting in a barn. My Grandpa passed away in 2009 and I only remember it running a handful of times in the last 20 years. It has a alternator and a 80's orange paint job. I turn the engine over with the hand crank a few times each year to keep it free. I think when he parked it the gas was turned off and ran till it died. Should I pull the carburetor off and clean it or just try my luck? Add battery,fresh gas and check points.

Edited by BKarpel - 06 Mar 2020 at 4:27pm
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 6:57pm
It can't hurt to try it like it is.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:02pm
I agree. You can't hurt anything by trying. I would probably squirt some gas through the carb before I tried it. I use a 20 cc syringe that works great for that. I would probably push it outside before trying it. I've had a few brushes with fire from trying to start a gas tractor.

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:25pm
My late FIL had a Super M under those same conditions. We just added gas and it ran real well. Even on crappy gas drained from other cars that had been sitting just as long.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:33pm
I would throw a battery in it, fresh gas and give it a spin.  Thats what I did with my 47 B when we got it back from the guy that bought it with the farm.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 8:48am
I would at least 'shine' the points up, matchbook cover or similar. They can get a little fuzzy sitting and won't fire.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:22am
File the points before anything else, add gas and batt., hit starter and go!-- The best way is to pull start them!--- saves the starter and turns the motor faster.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 11:38am
What gear would you pull start a WD with?

Edited by wide - 07 Mar 2020 at 11:39am
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 11:42am
Originally posted by wide wide wrote:

What gear would you pull start a WD with?

I use 3rd gear, 1st will prolly just slide the wheels...2nd may do the same...
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 4:54pm

Don't worry about 'no oil in the base, no 'water in the rad', and that thick 'nest in the air filter' stack.

Gary
Jk chalmers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jk chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 5:08pm
Lol good point. All those things and it’ll fire quick I’m sure of it..!! It’s an ac tractor. I had d15 Hadn’t ran in 20 years we had it running in 30 minutes they’re tough little tractors!!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 6:17pm
I would change the oil first....at least drain it and check for water in the oil then replace it
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 6:56pm
Oil is cheap, drop the line from the sediment bowl, better yet the carb and let it run. You'll know real quick how bad it is if the gas won't even run from the line.
Let it drain completely so you are not adding gunk to the carb regardless.
Touch up the points and would not hurt to check the air cleaner; remove bowl and change oil, ensure clean up to mushroom cap, look up in torque tube if possible for nest at clutch.
Pull her in 3rd, or 4th if two Experienced people on both.
If she don't "pop", phase two . . . . .
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 6:48pm
The WD I purchased last year had not been run since 2004. The date was scribed into the oil filter the day it was changed. Oil looked brand new. It had also received new rear tires. Thankfully the fuel tank and carb had been drained. That was around the time the owner passed away. His wife put many hours on it according to her as she raked a lot of the hay. I put new plugs in, plug wires,points and condenser. Cleaned the carb which was pretty clean. Ended up doing a full carb rebuild due to wear in the butterfly shaft. Runs very well, changed the oil after a few days of test drives. Has run well for over a year now.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 6:49pm
Oh, and a new 6v battery.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic