This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1942 AC ‘C’

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane1304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1942 AC ‘C’
    Posted: 23 May 2023 at 8:45pm
Recently purchased a 1942 AC C at an auction which had a stuck motor. I tore the top end of the motor down, cleaned it, lapped the valves and got the motor unstuck. I have two questions I’ve come across during this process. The first is, the number 2 piston was the main culprit being stuck in the bore. While freeing the piston it raised the sleeve out of the block about 3 inches. I was able to reseat the sleeve but should I now be concerned about coolant/oil contamination leaking from the coolant passages into the bottom end? The second question is, when I replace the the head with the new gasket is it recommended to use any type of sealer/RTV, gasket maker, to help secure the head and gasket?
Sponsored Links

Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:12pm
Yep, be concerned about coolant leakage, some rusty crud could be lodged in there now and it may leak. The upside is, the head is off, simply drain your oil and move that pan aside, fill your block with water and see if it leaks. I bet it seals back up though.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 3:04am
Personally, at the very least, I would remove the sleeve, clean both the outside of the sleeve and the block seating areas (the top of the block and the area where the O rings go). 
When you have the piston/sleeve out, check to make sure the rings are not stuck in the piston grooves.
Install new O rings on the outside of the sleeve and put it back together.
I would definitely use some sealant on the head gasket. I use Hylomar. Some use other products. If you use nothing, expect leaks.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 8:11pm
To me expecting that particular cylinder not to leak would be a miracle. Usually, once a sleeve comes up, it's time to pull it out and clean it up like Curt mentioned. Once you disturbed everything down below, it's a sure thing it'll leak. The engine is somewhat apart, fix it right and the Gremlins won't come out.....

Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Shane1304 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane1304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 11:48am
Thank you for everyone’s response. I shifted focus on to the pedestal while I made an informed decision on the sleeves. I decided you are all correct that it is likely inevitable that cylinder will leak. I’ll remove the sleeve either this week or weekend.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 12:15pm
shane, the cylinder is a tube with an o-ring grove or two at the bottom. You should replace the o-rings and wire brush the bore and the liner OD. There is a lip at the top that you saw when the liner came up. Wire brush around that and the seat in the block. The liner should stickup a few thousandths when installed so the head gasket will be compressed.. To check the liner, you normally drop it in the bock without the o-rings.. see that it sets to right depth and that you can rotate it in the lower fit... If all is well, remove and install the o-rings and reinstall... Use dish soap or vasaline, or what ever your preferred lube is.

When you pull that liner out and see all the CRUD buildup inside the bock and on the liner... you might change your mind and pull all 4 of them to clean out..  Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Shane1304 Shane1304 wrote:

Thank you for everyone’s response. I shifted focus on to the pedestal while I made an informed decision on the sleeves. I decided you are all correct that it is likely inevitable that cylinder will leak. I’ll remove the sleeve either this week or weekend.

I think, long term, you will be much happier. If you had enough water exposure to stick the engine, chances are very good that the rings are rusted to the piston. If they are the engine will be low on compression in that cylinder and probably use oil and have excessive smoke.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic