This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1940 b wake up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 9:02am
Good idea to change out core plugs on unit sitting that many years as cheap to do and one more thing off the list, just watch that engine oil for a while when you start running her as if she is solid otherwise, be a shame to have a plug spring a leak and contaminate the oil.
Sponsored Links

C in Concord View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Wispitfiremike Wispitfiremike wrote:

Time for an update, we were looking for some tires and go figure but they were attached to  a couple of tractors. After they followed us home we started contemplating how we were going to scramble around the rims and tires we wanted. Question for the experienced from those who are unfamiliar with best practices for this job. Is it possible to get the rim off without removing it with the wheel weight or does it all come together? If at all possible it seems best to try to change on the tractor with out removing the rim? What kinds of fun can we expect and as always we appreciate the help. If I can figure out how I will load video of tractor now. Fun part is one of the two we picked up is a running 1938 B , and a loose mid 40s B. Already decided the 38 is staying but gotta sell probably mid 40s B,  as we are plum out of shed space.

A picture would help, always nice to have when you go to put things back together too. The rim is typically clamped to the wheel center. Two of the four bolts on the perimeter of the wheel center are cam locks. They typically have a cruciform stamped on the head. Loosen all the nuts and turn the long side of the cruciform toward center to unclamp. It's just removing parts after that.

If I'm reading you other question right, my preference for changing tires is leaving the rim on the tractor. Less bending over and I don't have to waste energy taking it off. Energy I know I'm going to need...

Assuming compatibility, swapping rims is typically easier than swapping tires, especially if the tires have been mounted for an extended period of time. Takes time and effort to break the bead manually. If tire changing is a new venture for you, rear ag tires are not the place to start. Let the pros handle it. If you know your way around a bead breaker, grab it and give 'em hell!
Leave things better than you found them.

1941 Model C (restored 2020)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic