This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190XT power director hydrauilics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190 driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190XT power director hydrauilics
    Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 12:20pm
I have a 190XT series III with a slipping power director.  I did a pressure test and both the high and low side fluctuate between 125and 175 psi.  The steering is also not the smoothest.  You can definitely tell it has low pressure.  I dead headed the steering in both directions and nothing changedas far as pressure.  Locked to the right the steering wheel pretty much stops.  Locked left the wheel will slowly keep turning.  I disconnected the line from the pump and put a pressure gauge on that.  When the tractor starts the pressure goes up to about 240 psi and then drops to almost nothing.  I'm assuming the relief on the back of the pump is bad?  I realize it's a different section of pump but the remotes have 2250 psi at about 100 rpm.  Before I start tearing into it, I'd like some input from those with more experience on these hydraulics than I have. 

Edited by 190 driver - 03 Mar 2022 at 2:57pm
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 8:31pm
Which pump do you have ?? I'm thinking the old pump. Start by removing the flow divider/priority valve spool on the rear of the pump making sure it is free to slide. Do you have a hydraulic PTO ?????This uses the same oil from the steering and Power Directer clutch.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 8:49pm
Does the pressure at PD valve change if you move linkage past where lever moves it? If it does, may have ware in linkage and bushing.              MACK
190 driver View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190 driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 9:05am
I have the older style pump.  The tag number is 248602.  I checked the valve spool.  It was a little sticky so I took some fine emery tape and polished it until it moved smoothlly.  When I started the tractor and revved it up, the high side went up to 200-220 and held but after a few seconds started fluctuating between 200 and 125 psi again.  I have the manual PTO.  I did add a shim in the relief valve of the manifold.  Sitting in the shop, it does seem to steer better.  Pressure at the power director valve is about 20 psi in nuetral.  I'm wondering if I should pull the relief out of the power director valve to make sure that's not binding and perhaps add a shim to that?  Thanks for your reply.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190 driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 9:05am
No.  The pressure stays the same. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 9:36am
Steering is better ?? Then, the spool on the hydraulic pump was the issue there sounds like. Clamp a vise-grips in the linkage cross shaft to the Power Director valve and force it to make the spool stroke farther in and out. Like Mack said, worn linkage could be your unequal pressure issues.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190 driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 10:15am
I disconnected the linkage from the power director lever and moved it a ways past where it normally stopped and it made no difference on the pressure.  The pressure stayed the same and it still pulses up and and down.

As for the steering, I tried it after I polished the spool and it was the same as before.  I then added a shim which made it seem better.  I'll know more when I get it out and drive it some. 

One thing I notice when I shut it off and restart it, it takes a while for the pump to prime.  I have a straight 190 and that has hydraulics right away.  It never loses prime.  There are no leaks on the suction side but I suppose if there's a pin hole in the rubber 90 going into the pump that it wouldn't leak as it's above the hydraulic level in the reservoir.  An air leak would cause the pressure to fluctuate like that?  But I'm still not up to where I need to be for psi on the power director.  That might straighten out if I an find why the pressure is so up and down.

Edited by 190 driver - 04 Mar 2022 at 10:17am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 10:44am
Pump section with seal problems could cause fluctuations too, as could a bad input shaft seal on the front of the pump. Well, you have a good tractor to compare to. They should be the same.  You can also try to shim the power Director to see if it even tries to raise the pressure, but you've got more than one problem I think. Hydraulic PTO ??  YES or NO.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 11:18am
He has manual PTO, fourth post.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190 driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 8:58am
Thank you for all the input. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. Sometimes the obvious is the most difficult to find. I pulled the hydraulic pump. What I found was needle bearing worn badly and the front seal was very hard. Wear plates are worn as are the gears. Even though they’re not cheap, I’ll be looking for a different pump as I’m thinking replacing all the wear parts would get expensive.
Thanks again.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 9:59pm
I spent $850 6 years ago rebuilding my 3 stage pump on my XT. Steering, hydraulics, trans work as they should now. Not cheap but it was money well spent. Pump at the time was $2,200.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 6:03am
Thank goodness the parts have been available. Always great to get one fixed after tolerating sub par performance. Makes you tend to overlook the cost.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic