This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190XT Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190XT Brakes
    Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:49am
My new to me 190XT brakes are not the best, left/right the same.  With a slight downhill frontwards/backwards, standing on the brakes, it will still roll.  Not a full roll, they slow it down but will not hold it.  Where are they located and how easy is it to replace them?
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
Sponsored Links

Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:03pm
John...Sent you a private message...Rick
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 8:45pm
Left is the easiest. Located under seat left and right. My guess is oil on them. Pull check plugs on final drives. If they are over full, you have another problem that needs fixed before brake job.        MACK
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:23pm
My experience with them is first- remove the outer covers and blow the dust and dirt out of the mechanisums, then an adjustment  
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 10:59am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

Left is the easiest. Located under seat left and right. My guess is oil on them. Pull check plugs on final drives. If they are over full, you have another problem that needs fixed before brake job.        MACK

Can this be done with the cab on?  Tractor is 1.5 hours away at the moment so I can't run out and check. 
Final drives, is the plug on the inside, or does the tires/rims need to come off to access them?
Can't wait to get her home for a good bath and minor leaks fixed.

Thanks!

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 11:08am
They are accessible with the cab on. Might be easiest to adjust the wheels out, but you don't have to.  I got mine from Rick and they hold great.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:58pm
Old thread, same questions.  Got her home and pretty much parked her, had my hands pretty full all summer til recently where I have been addressing other problems, most fixed or being worked on.  I'm used to brake access through a cover on top in the W series, is this the same type/location for 190XTD brakes?  She has a Stoepler cab and for the life of me I can't find a way to access through the cab floor.  The only floor panel on left side is for 2 batteries, don't see an access cover or way to get to one from there.  I see what is a round access panel(?) above the final drives (bull gear) on tire side?  Do I need to go in from there to access the brakes to clean?

Thanks y'all!

Bret (OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bret (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 4:38am
Brake housings are accessed from under the platform not through it.  Follow the pedal linkage and you will find this:

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:15am
Front the front of the rear tires, look back at the axle. Follow the axle to the main housing, you will see the cover as shown in Item 2 above

Charlie

NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 9:41am
So I was guessing right, through the round panel above the gear.  I'm not a small guy and have arty-ritis so my best bet is to remove the wheel for free/clear access to the brakes through that panel.  This tractor does not have spin-out rims/hubs so off it comes.  Easily.... I hope... LOL

Thank-you.
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 10:58am
NDBirdman,  I need to fix my brakes as well and you have the same cab, so please document in detail what you end up doing and repost if you can.  I do have spinout rims and removing tires has been done recently so tires should come off easily for me to get easier access.  I have other issues to deal with so will not be tackling this for awhile.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:22am
It is easy, far easier than previous Allis designs I think!
Charlie

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:36am
With your tires all the way set in, you will be working blind with your hands above  your head, easier for a young skinny guy with long arms. It also helps if you have done one already so you know whats in there that you can't see. On tractors with year-round cabs the bracket that mounts to the axle can cause interference but if you loosen some bolts you can deal with it, not sure how the mounts are for your cab.
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 4:10pm
Just looked under there.... will be tight I think but doable.  I don't see any need to remove the wheels, cover is not at end of axle like I thought.   I hope I can get to them end of the week, hopefully.  Fingers crossed, clean out and hit with brake clean.... all finders crossed..... LOL  First job on her this week will be removing one hyd and one fuel line, *possibly starter solenoid to put in block heater.  Well, first job next couple days... bow hunting in this 20 degree daytime weather...... brrrrr

Edited by NDBirdman - 26 Oct 2020 at 4:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic