This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190 xt pto swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190 xt pto swap
    Posted: 08 Apr 2023 at 8:15am
Hi I have a 1970 190xt series 3 with manual engaged pto that is 540 rpm. I need to convert it to 540/1000 rpm. From reading on here, it doesn’t seem too bad to do the swap. I found a 200 at a salvage yard close to my house that is 540/1000 pto, but it is hyd engage. I’ve got two questions. First, will all the associated 200 parts work with my xt, and second, can I leave the hyd pto clutch out of it and make it work with the manual pto, or do I need everything and need to convert my tractor to the hyd pto clutch? Thanks is advance for any replies.
Sponsored Links

190xt MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 12:54pm
Also, one other question. To anyone who has switched one to 1000/540 pto from 540, how much have the parts to do so cost? Thanks again for any replies.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 8:18pm
I did what you want to do so I could run a 1000 rpm right angle pump.  I have an XT with manual engage twin speed 540/1000rpm pto shaft but it's been 10 years since I put it together. I did find a 200 rear end with twin speed and used the whole assembly but kept the mechanical engage in the torque tube because that is what I had at the time.
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 9:55pm
To convert to the dual output (540/1000) shafts on the back of the tractor, it takes a complete lift arm housing which includes all the gears/bearings/dual shafts. So, what that gets you is a two-speed output, but the 1000 shaft is still only the 540 speed. You have to change the gearing inside the PTO box under the belly to 1000 RPM gears to get 1000 RPM at the rear. You can't just do the lift arm housing by itself, UNLESS you were 1000 RPM set-up (rare) to begin with.
190xt MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 6:18pm
Thanks Dr Allis and Leon B for the replies. Does anyone have a ball park figure of what the associated parts usually run? I think I’m going to buy the 200 parts from the salvage yard by my house, the owner didn’t know what the parts were worth. Is $500 for everything worth it? Or is that too much? Also, the parts 200 is a hyd engage clutch, and mine is a manual engage. Can I delete the clutch drum for the pto and just keep it manual? Of do I need the valve, linkage and all the associated lines other parts etc? Thanks
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 6:38pm
You must have ALL the lines, hydraulic valve, lever up to the console,etc,etc to make the hydraulic PTO clutch work. $500 is pretty cheap if it's all good.
190xt MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 2:12pm
If I would want to keep my xt manual engaged pto, is it possible to use the parts from that 200 but omit the hyd clutch? Or does the xt have to be converted to hyd engaged pto using that 200 as a parts donor?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 2:44pm
There was such a thing as a 190XT or 200 with 1,000 RPM only PTO. There probably was some 200's with 540/1000 PTO manual shifter/no clutch. You NEED the two gears inside the PTO clutch box area to change your initial speed to 1,000 RPM. The upper gear would be the same manual or clutch type. The lower gear is unique to clutch style or manual style. Don't forget about 180-185-190's as parts sources as that internal PTO box stuff is the same.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 5:50pm
I have a 200 with 2 speed pto, and it is mechanical engaged, so it's not too uncommon.  As much work as it would be to swap I'd use that as an excuse to just buy one with it already in it. Seems like an awful lot of work when a whole tractor could be bought for 5000-7500. I'd bet by the time you were done you'd have at least half that invested, not counting any time.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
190xt MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2023 at 6:31pm
Thanks for the info Dr Allis. Injection pump Ed, I could use another tractor anyway, so that could be a good excuse to buy another one like you said!! Thanks agian.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic