This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 with no high range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 with no high range
    Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:56am
Does anybody have any troubleshooting tips, hydraulic schematic, or possible trouble shooting flow chart for this issue. I purchased the 185 knowing hi range didn't work, tractor just stops when you shift into high. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:49am
First I would check the pressures for high and low per the service manual. Some one may know the pressures.
Make sure the linkage is fully engaging the valve spool.

1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:05pm
I have the manual, it tells you to check the high and low in the same place under the steering column, and that just doesn't sound right to me, I would figure there is a way to test on the output side of the valve so I could se my pressures coming out of the valve, and isolate it being a valve problem vs a clutch pack problem.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:54pm
I'd figure the book knew more than me. Try it just for fun
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:09pm
I have the original shop manual, Iowa was hoping somebody would have some tricks or a better step by step process, which the book doesn’t have.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:16pm
If it didn't help find the problem, they wouldn't have printed the book, telling you where to check the pressure. JMO
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:36pm
Look, I’ve checked the pressure, there is one spot to check the pressure according to the ac manual, that one spot is supposed to check hi, low, and neutral, I don’t see how that can tell me if the pressure is actually leaving the hi side of the valve and making it to the clutch pack!! If you ain’t got nothing constructive to say stay off the post. It’s better to be perceived as moron then be proved one.
8070220 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:09pm
Ok the psi there should be 140 to 175 in high side and low side .the only other spot the check it is on side of the tractor by pd plate .but if u have no high u have a bad pd .if u put it in 4th in low side turn wheel to the right and pull hyd lever and put the bracks on all at the same time I bet it will not kill it it stop on the low side to
allisorange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:16pm
We bought a 180 with similar problem. There is like a relief valve that was
rusted up from water in the oil. Oil was milky when we got the tractor. It
was behind that panel you took off to check pressures. I will look at the
manual and see if I can be more specific.

John Carlson
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:06pm

The manual says 255-270, and that I can tee into the line off the orbital motor or the bottom plug of the clutch valve. But your saying if I have low and not high it is most likely in the director? When I get into the director will I just be looking for worn out plate or an internal leak of some sort?
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:09pm
Could I also be looking at the pump as being the root cause of the failure?
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:38pm
If it was the pump, you wouldn’t have low or high or steering or lift arms.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 9:36pm
does that tractor use sealing rings in a hub like 190's to pressure PD? If so that could do it or blown piston seal or cracked piston
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:15am
Draining a bit of oil out of the housing and looking for metal or clutch material can provide a clue. If debris has passed around in the system you could have both mechanical and hydraulic problems.

The tester they are using tests flow and pressure, a simple gauge reads only pressure.  

Using a flow meter style tester as shown - If you have flow and no pressure in High it  means there is a leak somewhere that needs to be found, probably inside. I think there are some steel tubes inside a cover that could be inspected. If you have correct pressure and correct flow there will likely be some sort of clutch disk or spline problem.
If you have pressure and low flow or no flow there may be some sort of blockage in the circuit to the hi clutch. 
If testing with a pressure gauge you may have to cap the lines that feed into the clutch. Capping the lines to the High and Low clutch and getting a very similar pressure reading in H or L means there is a leak inside somewhere. With the lines capped and pressure in Low and none in High means a valve or linkage problem.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 7:12am
Down underneath the right platform is the manifold that goes to the Power Director clutch. The brake latch mechanism is attached to it. Anyway, there are two allen head plugs on this manifold. No need for a flow rater or removing any sheet metal. They are 1/8" pipe thread. Connect a 500 psi gauge to each one to check pressures. They should be nearly exactly the same for LOW and HIGH and pretty near zero when in neutral.  You've either got a massive leak in high side or all the driving discs are broken inside.
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 6:34pm
Both pressures are checking at about 210psi, so I’m looking at going inside correct? Flow rated the pump and was flowing at 6.0gpm at 1500 psi.
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 7:23pm
Taking the lines loose and removing the plate on the right side will give you a pretty good view of the power director clutch. If the plates are broken,that should be fairly obvious. You can apply air pressure to the tubes feeding the clutch packs and watch them work and see if they leak excessively. Before you remove the plate,I would be sure to have the tractor in a position so if it needs to be split,you won't have to put it back together to move it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic