This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 questions
    Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 11:21am
pulling the 185 at the Ashland co. fair next Friday. wondering what it weighs with loaded rears and a y/r cab? at least a close guesstimate.......
Sponsored Links

XT in pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XT in pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 11:42am
8500 just a guess 
190XT,D17and 7045
studer automotive View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 7:51pm
wonderful, I'm pulling in the 10,500 lb class. I better start throwin the weights at it....... some more h.p. too.LOL
cottonpatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 11:43pm
I would guess you are pretty close to 9000 pounds with that cab.  Our 185 with loaded 18.4x30 tires and a canopy was just around 8900 when we pulled it years ago. 
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 6:03am
i'm gonna attempt to weigh it Friday if if can. son has tractor on display at the wayne.co fair for FFA. when I pick it up I go right bye a scale. if I only need to throw 1,000-ish lbs at it I can probably deal with that.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 10:19pm
weighed in at 8160 with me on it. that puts me in a dilemma, the classes go from 8,000 to 10,500 I really don't feel like putting 2000 lbs of weights on it. I need to lose 200 lbs.......
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 10:44pm
depends on what the scale reads, and some figure 100 pounds for safety equipment so you read 100 pounds lighter than usual
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:49am
that would be nice although with my luck it'd be a 100 lbs heavier.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 6:35am
It obviously doesn't have any fluid in the rear tires.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:26am
My 185 with 18.4x30 (empty tires) and no cab weighed about 6500 with no cab or canopy.

My experience is you are going to be heavy on the front end. Pay a lot of attention to getting your drawbar as high as possible and get any weight you can off the front end.
2wise4agm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wise4agm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:06am
How much fuel is in it? Take out one battery?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:08am
One battery, two cab doors, side windows, rear window.....done deal.   3rd gear (low 2nd).
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:15pm
You might also have to take your wallet out of your pocket (unless it's as empty as mine....)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:05pm
yeah, dr allis and gm I was thinkin about takin out 1 battery, and the side doors is a great idea. burn a few gallons of fuel out of it batt& a door or 2 that should do the trick. the stock drawbar is almost 18" but I either have to fab a new drawbar with a larger hole or just use a clevis.they said I could use a clevis, but Ashland co. is still in the stone ages most other pulls won't allow a clevis. I'm gettin pumped for this. right on about 2nd low as 2 h I think will be to fast. is nutted bolt on the cab side of the pump the fuel screw? clock wise more fuel? thanks for all the input, right now she's at dale James ford bolivar boy is gonna see to it that's the ol girl will be ready for battle.
XT in pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XT in pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:49pm
Fuel screw is inside of pump. The one you see is the torque screw and I don't know if it changes much or not.
190XT,D17and 7045
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:27pm
stone age? around here EVERYONE uses a clevis, that way they dont have to make a custom drawbar for em
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:23am
around here everyone has a fabricated drawbar with a enormous hole for the large hook. no one uses clevis around here anymore. so the inj. pump is like an old ford 6.9/7.3 where there is a screw inside the pump accessed where the little plate is on side of the pump?
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:24am
The problem with a clevis is that (unless you can bolt it solid) it tips and you start right off losing drawbar height. I use a piece of 1" steel plate that I torched a 4" hole. You can drill a couple holes that will bolt to your existing drawbar and use washers to get the plate to maximum height. Our antique club allows a plate of 1/2" and I have never seen one break (yet).

You should also push the drawbar in as far as possible. The closer (and higher) you can hook, the more it pulls down on the rear wheels of the tractor and pulls up on the front of the sled. Also, if the front wheels do come up, you lose less drawbar height by being hooked closer.

Some moveable weight would be nice, but you probably aren't going to have that luxury because of the starting weight of the tractor.

For an "out of the field" tractor, without major mods like changing tires and increasing power, drawbar and weight placement are the two most important variables on how it pulls. If your club is like most, an out of the field, stock tractor doesn't stand much chance of winning.

Good luck!!!!!!!!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:33am
Also, if you are bone stock and it is a hard,clay track with a lot of bite, you might run out of power in third gear (2nd low). If you open the pump, you should be fine.

If you weight up to the 10,500 class, you definitely want second (1st high) gear.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:12am
That 301 is not gonna like the 10500 lb class without a turbo and more fuel your best bet is watch the track good and hope your tires hook up good
2wise4agm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2wise4agm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 8:22am
Tire pressure is a big thing on my 190. You would be surprised how much it helps to get both sides exactly the same. The lower you can run the pressure the more lugs will be on the ground also. Just don't go so low that you damage the tire.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 8:29am
thanks guys!! a lot of great advice from you all. i'm gonna make a "hook plate" i'm not gonna mess with the fuel til turbo is added, which will be next year.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 9:45am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

The problem with a clevis is that (unless you can bolt it solid) it tips and you start right off losing drawbar height. I use a piece of 1" steel plate that I torched a 4" hole. You can drill a couple holes that will bolt to your existing drawbar and use washers to get the plate to maximum height. Our antique club allows a plate of 1/2" and I have never seen one break (yet).

You should also push the drawbar in as far as possible. The closer (and higher) you can hook, the more it pulls down on the rear wheels of the tractor and pulls up on the front of the sled. Also, if the front wheels do come up, you lose less drawbar height by being hooked closer.

Some moveable weight would be nice, but you probably aren't going to have that luxury because of the starting weight of the tractor.

For an "out of the field" tractor, without major mods like changing tires and increasing power, drawbar and weight placement are the two most important variables on how it pulls. If your club is like most, an out of the field, stock tractor doesn't stand much chance of winning.

Good luck!!!!!!!!
yes, its required that the clevis is bolted solid in our association, that way it keeps from bending the pin to
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 2:18pm
 Remove the drawbar and swing slide from the tractor. Make your "hook plate" bolt to the cross piece with all the holes drilled in it where the drawbar swings back and forth on. Unbolt the cross piece and mount it on backwards so your pull point is even shorter and shim your hitch point up to 20 inches with rear tires aired up to proper PSI. As long as you start you pull smoothly (tight chain) with no jerking, you'll never damage anything. Bolts all tight, of course.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Remove the drawbar and swing slide from the tractor. Make your "hook plate" bolt to the cross piece with all the holes drilled in it where the drawbar swings back and forth on. Unbolt the cross piece and mount it on backwards so your pull point is even shorter and shim your hitch point up to 20 inches with rear tires aired up to proper PSI. As long as you start you pull smoothly (tight chain) with no jerking, you'll never damage anything. Bolts all tight, of course.

I bought a piece of 1" x 3" bar and had holes drilled in it to the same size as the pin that held the drawbar. I had 3 holes drilled in it so I could push it back a little for a soft track for more weight transfer. The straight bar came right over the top of the "swing bar". I had a heavy duty turnbuckle that anchored in the (3 point hitch)top link to adjust height.

I agree with DrAllis that you would not hurt it by hooking right to the swing bar. Most weight transfer sleds start quite easily, unlike the old dead weight boats I started pulling on back in 1973.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I bought a piece of 1" x 3" bar and had holes drilled in it to the same size as the pin that held the drawbar. I had 3 holes drilled in it so I could push it back a little for a soft track for more weight transfer. The straight bar came right over the top of the "swing bar". I had a heavy duty turnbuckle that anchored in the (3 point hitch)top link to adjust height.

I agree with DrAllis that you would not hurt it by hooking right to the swing bar. Most weight transfer sleds start quite easily, unlike the old dead weight boats I started pulling on back in 1973.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studer automotive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 5:55am
wf,anyway you could get a picture of that pulling hitch set up set up? it sounds like a great set up!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic