This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120V photocell ques (update)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 120V photocell ques (update)
    Posted: 09 May 2022 at 8:28am
I am struggling with my limited "juicetician as Joe calls it" knowledge.

So if i take the photocell out and set it in the daylight and test continuity across the black and red wire what should the meter indicate.  Mine shows continuity.

I was using an ohm meter.  Anyhow all is well now.  What led me on the goose chase:

Circuit started not working and tripping circuit breaker.  Eye of the cell looked like someone had a torch in there.  Went to the barn and installed my last new spare.  Right out of the box it did not solve my problem and the continuity puzzle came up.  New ones arrived two days ago.  Right out of the box the new one showed continuity like the last one.  Oh wellll, hooked it up and now all is well with my dusk to dawn front yard lights.  winner winner, DaveKamp gets the chicken dinner.  Wink 

Edited by Dave H - 13 May 2022 at 7:44am
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 9:01am
I think you are right Dave... It is basically a SWITCH and it is CLOSED when you put it in the DARK, and it is OPEN when you put it in the sun light.

Yours seems to NOT do that.. I would assume your light is on ALL THE TIME ?  Some also have a sensitivity switch on the side you can vary the light needed to turn off.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 11:42am
yep, thanks Steve.  I am going to throw a new one at it.  New ones are on the way.  Confused
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 6:58am
" So if i take the photocell out and set it in the daylight and test continuity across the black and red wire what should the meter indicate.  Mine shows continuity."

Well, in a simple theory sense, the photocell SHOULD conduct in the dark, and be non-conductive in the light...  But there's about two dozen different ways companies have made photocell controllers, and putting a continuity tester on 'em might NOT reveal what you'd expect.  Many 'old' controllers use a mechanical relay who's coil is powered by a control circuit, and the relay contact works 'opposite', and the CDS sensor USES a little 120v power to both sense the light AND energize the relay, which could give a meter an indication you wouldn't expect.

So the short answer, is that they frequently fool the BEST 'jucetricians'... they act totally different under the several volts of a tester, than when applied to line voltage.

Best move is to just stick another one in, because they're subjected to some pretty harsh electrical circumstances, they just don't last forever... and they're inexpensive.  The most expensive part, is gettin' up there to replace the darned things.

Edited by DaveKamp - 10 May 2022 at 7:00am
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 7:21am
Dave, thanks for the insight.  My problem is gonna be getting "down" there to throw a new one at it.  Much safer than the ones up on the side of the barn.  Confused

My new ones from Amazon are due in today.

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 7:08am
I hear 'ya.  I don't run photocells on any of my outdoor lights, instead, I have a contactor box on each pole, and in each building, that controls power to my outdoor lighting, and on that box is a switch for 'local/remote'.  In the local position, the light is on.  In the remote position, the contactor controls the light. The contactors are activated by a control unit in the basement of the house, its a whole lot more reliable than a photocell, and much more flexible.  I can control the lighting zones with remote controls in each of my vehicles, the tractors, forklifts, and from inside the house.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 7:46am
re: the photocell SHOULD conduct in the dark, and be non-conductive in the light...

hmm, this should be the other way round, CDS have HIGH resistance when dark, LOW when light shines on them.  Usually the sensor 'feeds' an opamp or microcomputer that then controls a relay or SSR to control the load (light bulb), typically the 'red' wire...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 10:30pm
The CDS, yes, but the SYSTEM is the opposite.  He's not dissecting the entire device and reverse-engineering the CIRCUIT... and I'm pretty certain he's not checking it with an ohmmeter or a scope, probably just a continuity probe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic