This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

110 vvvolt space heaters anyone,,,?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 110 vvvolt space heaters anyone,,,?
    Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 9:21am
 I need to buy a space heater for the back bedroom. Walmart has some 1500 watt models that might be good enough for a 12' X 12' room.
 Any thoughts on one,,??  Thinkin to go look at Harbor Freight also.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 9:25am
whichever 1500 watt with fan is the cheapest ! ALL 1500 watt units put out  the SAME amount of heat (BTUs ), you don't need them fancy 'ceramic' ones or remote controlled...

JUST a basic heater.

if possible place in a corner on a diagonal to move air better, or under the cold window
BUT KEEP AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT CAN BURN !!!!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 9:30am
My wife has a Walmart ceramic cube in the bathroom. Our bathroom is 10x16 it heats it up to o my god it's hot in notime. It's got a thermostat and variable heat settings I think it was around $25 and she's had it for probably 10 years. Annually I clean the filter and blow the dust out of it. She unplugs it when not in use. We had the same heater at work keep it under the desk and leave it run for days at a time. Our heat it centrally controlled and they don't turn it on till October 15 no matter what the temp.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 9:46am
jay and dave are both right... Dont pay $50 - 100 . for a "magic heater"..... 1500 watts is 1500 watts.. Dont matter how you do it, its still 100% efficient.... Small milk house heaters work great.. If you want a little more fancy spend $10. extra ... Most have a fan, thermostat , some are 1200- 1500 w  switchable. ... Dont get tall and skinny which can tip over.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 2:46pm
SAFETY is the first criteria for any portable heater , tip over switch , over-temp , and or any other cautionary equipped safety feature . 
 Neighbor had young daughter heating up her snuggle bear in front of heater , it was smoking good and when they threw it out it burst into flames . Close to house fire !
 Using a remote thermostat in line might also be a good idea , and leaving it on unattended NO WAY - Might look at a unit that heating element is inside so more like radiator than exposed heating element .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 7:14pm
I've a pair of the oil filled heaters, not sure of output but are 110V. They have lo & hi setting and dial from 0-9, I use lo on 3 - 4, they are warm to touch not hot. 
 1 in living room and 1 in bedroom, lets me keep thermostat lower in house. Run them when in that room. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 3:28am
it's getting harder to find them...non digital controlled heaters.  I have a small heater in my well house, I learned the hard way that if you have a digital control and the electric flickers, the heater shuts off and won't re-start on it's own, has to be manually re=started. non digital heaters will come back on by themselves. 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 7:09am
vvvolt?  Are you already cold Joe?LOLLOL
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:11am
Have a lower cost blower equipped radiant quartz heater in our breezeway, Wish I had installed a Duct option from House HVAC when built now as essentially did not consider heat or cool in there until Wife decided her Outdoor Plants needed a Safe Harbor with good daylight.  Could also have set that room up for Dogs to have access to outdoors relief while able to access heat or cool thru a pet door to that room and eliminated some mess inside house.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Howdy My Friend,,,TBone!!!  It good to hear from you,,,I figured you had prolly moved farther NORTH since Mi was not cold enough for you,,,,LOLLOL
 Chit,,it been COLD down in this desert country this year,,,cause you never know what that dude over in Blair might be doing,,,,and him just a giggling all the time,,,,??
 Yeah, the overnights been getting down to some serious temps for us country boys that are some thin skinned peoples,,,,LOL
  I'm looking at the Atomic clock on the wall and it is 12° and that right there is COLD,,I want you to know,!!!   CHIT,,!!  Wait a minute,,,Guys!!  That is the "MONTH" indicator,,hell, it ain't near that cold,,,guess I'll have to go outside without my Northern Full Length Fur Parka,,,Huh???LOLLOL,,,,CHEERS,,,,Clap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:57am
wussey!
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:58am
I have a tall skinny Lasko my wife picked up for me from wally world close to 10 years ago for the bathroom in my shop. It's a small room and that heater will warm it up fast. It is digital and has a remote. Fits behind the door. Only gets used when occupying. lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 9:31am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Howdy My Friend,,,TBone!!!  It good to hear from you,,,I figured you had prolly moved farther NORTH since Mi was not cold enough for you,,,,LOLLOL
 Chit,,it been COLD down in this desert country this year,,,cause you never know what that dude over in Blair might be doing,,,,and him just a giggling all the time,,,,??
 Yeah, the overnights been getting down to some serious temps for us country boys that are some thin skinned peoples,,,,LOL
  I'm looking at the Atomic clock on the wall and it is 12° and that right there is COLD,,I want you to know,!!!   CHIT,,!!  Wait a minute,,,Guys!!  That is the "MONTH" indicator,,hell, it ain't near that cold,,,guess I'll have to go outside without my Northern Full Length Fur Parka,,,Huh???LOLLOL,,,,CHEERS,,,,Clap

Cheers buddy, you stay warm and have a great Christmas.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 5:24am
Joe we have 2 of those oil filled radiators.
Don’t know the rating I n them. I bought them several years for emergency heat if electric went out I could run them with my generator.
When we remodeled we installed a whole new Lp furnace. I had them add a power cord I can run to the generator. I don’t even have to crawl under the house to hook it up.
Now the radiators sit in my shop hoping one day they’ll get used to keep the chill off while I run my milking machine.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 5:51am
oil filled ones do NOT out out more heat, just a 'look' thing.
the ceramic ones just have the element buried inside them, again a 'neat' look.
the quartz tubes are ,well, quartz tubes...

the MOST you can get out of a regular wall plug is 1500 watts.
I think by code all the 'box style' units have to have 'tip over' safety switches

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 6:31am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

oil filled ones do NOT out out more heat, just a 'look' thing.
the ceramic ones just have the element buried inside them, again a 'neat' look.
the quartz tubes are ,well, quartz tubes...

the MOST you can get out of a regular wall plug is 1500 watts.
I think by code all the 'box style' units have to have 'tip over' safety switches
Don't think anyone ever said the oil ones put out more heat, no need to shout.

Then nice thing about the oil filled ones is the oil is a buffer.  There's not such a harsh hot dry feel to them.  We have a large one that heats the office at work, works great.  NOT HOTTER OR MORE, just works nice.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 7:41am
I have a 1/2 dozen of the milkhouse heaters and they work well. All have face thermostats. The older ones do not have safety switches, but the newer ones do. They are used to keep pipes from freezing, or maintaining a space warm in the shop as I don't heat the entire building any longer.

I have a pair of 10kw hanging unit heaters in the shop. When I'm using at least one of a few machines requiring 3ph power in the winter, (plasma, band saw, hot tank, tumble blast cabinet, dust reclaimer, solvent distiller) I use the generator to power them also to keep the space warm. If going to burn the fuel, might as well use as much capacity as you can is my thought and I only have 1ph power to the shop. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 7:57am
hmmmm..

"NOT HOTTER OR MORE "

ouch, my ears hurt....Wink

I just wanted to inform that the oil filled won't produce more heat, contrary to the advertisement hype that infers they do....

a $20, 1500 watt  heater will produce the same amount of heat a $350 1500 watt one does....

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 8:02am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

wussey!

Can't ya'll tell ,,,,,,,he likes me,,,,??   Hahahaha,,,,,,,,He's just upset cause ole Les bought me this Fur lined Alaska Grade PaRKA WITH THE OPTIONAL hOODDIE,,,,,,AND,,,,AND,,,MATCHING FUR LINED GLOVES WITH PURE ORIGINAL 6 MONTH OLD CALF SKIN,,,,,,,,,,WinkLOLLOL
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 8:05am
Consumer space heaters are ni-chrome resistive wire elements however it's stated and consume 1500W, (maximum, within tolerance) of power from the common wall receptacle.  
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 8:23am

wELL, gUYS,,MANY tHANKS FOR ALL THAT GREAT INFO,,,!! Because of all the hype and ads you see on them heaters you would think one is much better than the others because of the big difference in pricing,,,!!  Good to know. Just so happened that Walmart was advertising their electric heaters on sale on walmart.com, so I picked out  one that is 1500 or 1200 watts plus tip over switch and a thermostat for under $30 ,,,,wsa right next to one of same specs ON SALE for $109,,,,so ya'll saved me some good dollars,,,,best go fish out some more Black Label out of the barn,,,,,,,LOLLOL

Hey Thad,,,I noticed the reference to your new Milking machine and might be feeling some jealous cause I ain't got one of them,,,, but,,Chit,,I ain't got no more room in my shop,,,but maaybe I can add a Lean-to over there,,(pointing with finger),,,Chit I'd just have to buy some cows then,,,guess I'll think on that some more,,,LOLLOL (pssst,,,my spell check don't ever work either,,,,)Clap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 8:31am
yup, save $80 on the heater and but more beer !!!Big smile
I'm an OV man myself.....Wink

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 8:41am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

yup, save $80 on the heater and but more beer !!!Big smile
I'm an OV man myself.....Wink
Huh!  How about that.  When all the crew in college went nuts over Labatt's Blue (which is good), I kept trying different things, and I liked OV too!  We got something in common, how's that feel!?WinkLOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 3:42pm
old......Cry
good thing bout it is NOBODY else likes it, so it's ALL mine

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 5:51pm
 well,,if it wasn't for the distributor sometimes dropping off his "Month old pick-ups" I wouldn't keep that chit on my property,,,,!!!WinkWink
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 3:07pm
Looked at my oil filled heaters; the 2 settings offer 3 power use levels. 
low, switch #1 is 600 watt. Where I run mine. 
Med, switch #2 is 900 watt. 
High, both switches is 1500 watt. 
That they stay warm while in use lessens that warm then cold feel as the heat element cycles. 
 No idea on energy efficiency but sure it's less than turning my thermostat up 3 - 5* for the whole house. 

AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 3:17pm
electric heaters are 100% efficient... 100% of the electrons get turned into heat...
it's the cost per BTU that determines cost to run....

Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2022 at 12:53pm
I have a Titan milkhouse heater has a couple heat settings and fan speeds very handy little heater
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic