This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$100 Oil change !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $100 Oil change !
    Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 10:46am
Bought 8 quarts of full synthetic and a good oil filter at NAPA . Right at $100 . Guess I need to start shopping around ? Wonder what the dealer charges ? Thanks
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 10:59am
Yes, you do need to shop around. I was a "die hard" NAPA man through the 1970's and into the 80's but they have changed and literally priced themselves out of the market as a parts supplier for me. Even with the so called "commercial account", they can still be more $$$ than other vendors for the same part. Brakes and Wix filters are horrendously overpriced via NAPA any longer; IMO.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 11:46am
Since I bought my Jeep Cherokee I have had the dealer do the oil changes . Most times I get a MOPAR cupo or special or look for one online and get a oil change and so called inspection for under $30 with filter included . 
 Last time they came over carrying the cabbin air filter saying it needed to be changed and suggested engine air filter also - Only $100 to replace both - Passed o tne deal and bought the filters myself for under $35 .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 12:09pm
Thanks guys, I just thought everyone had about the same price
Lesson learned
Quite a few years ago I bought a gallon jug of oil at Walmart. Got home and found it was old/used oil . When I returned it they said that had happened before.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 12:14pm
Buddy of ours bought a New GM Colorado a few years back, needed the cabin filter and the servicing shop quoted $285 JUST labor, he took it home and looked up what was required, ENTIRE DASH has to come apart to access the HVAC box, Filter is on Opposite Side of box so Coolant Drain and remove the ENTIRE HVAC structure except AC core, Seven hours later he replaced a defined due filter, angry at the world.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 3:15pm
Not sure what year Colorado was like that.  In the 2015-23 models it's right behind the glove compartment, takes 5 minutes.  
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
bemer848 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bemer848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 4:36pm
I have a 2016 GMC Canyon and it took me 10 minutes to change mine.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 5:51pm
Synthetic oil at the local wallyworld is like $26-30, last time I looked...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 6:25pm
Dumb me, I paid $10 a quart. I'll sure shop around next time. Thanks Dave
AveryD12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveryD12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 6:56pm
I changed oil in one of my tractors at the beginning of the summer- purchased oil filter at NAPA. Walked away going WOW..Changed oil again a couple weeks ago and decided to give CarQuest a try. Filter was approximately 1/2 the price of what I had paid at NAPA. Yes, same tractor.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 7:11pm
I buy my oil from Wally World and order the filters online from Rock Auto and then pay the local tire shop to change the oil and filter for me. I'm too fat and lazy to do it myself.
NAPA around here is pricey also but they know their stuff. I was on the road and had to get a battery from Auto Zoo $200, ouch! Local battery dealer would have been $89.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 9:15pm
Walmart.com is trying to compete with Amazon- Ebay , got some great deals on antifreeze last week !
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 7:01am
Thanks guys!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 7:50am
Alright, turns out I was WRONG, bud that had owned a Colorado actually bought a Titan as was tired of GM junk. Got SCAMMED as the Titan is the nightmare cabin filter change. Dealer he goes to is Nissan and Mazda, Seems the Mazda eco friendly cars are similar, Nissan Rogue and Mazda SUV are just as his Titan where is HOURS to disassemble the car around the filter retainer, another series of Import mess.

Edited by DMiller - 29 Oct 2023 at 7:51am
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 8:37am
ACinSC, 2x on the Carquest (wix~Hastings~Napa) filters. Here’s an online oil filter site that I use to cross reference my old Napa oil filter. 2x on Walmart engine oils.
https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/NAPA/1061
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 9:11am
I have a 2006 Nissan Altima. Great cart but a son of a bitch to change the cabin air filter. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 9:21am
If any of you shop at Sam’s Club, they often have good deals on Rotella, Delo and Delvac, in the case. Rotella T4 was 6 gallons for 99 bucks, and T6 synthetic was 3 gallons for 74 bucks last week. That’s about as cheap as I have seen it sold for in the last few years.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 7:09am
Good info. Thanks everyone
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 10:55am
You're all making me feel better.  Took the wife's wheels to full on repair shop, for oil change, cost just over $100. We have a local owned quicky oil change place we us to use. After hearing of others having stripped threads on the plug, and then happening to ours. Then finding a neighbor got sent out with no oil in her car. They paid for replacement engine but the time you're without a car. Enough was enough, had to get this other shop to fix the mess. A real pain to get old and not be able to crawl under and just get it done.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 11:14am
You've said it Ray, it's a PITA to get old and you can't do the things you used to.
I guess I'm lucky as the dealer I go to is almost as cheap as I can buy the oil and filter from Wally World.  My time is worth a lot more than that.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 12:25pm
Asked my wife yesterday "how old is too old to change my own oil"? Feel I'm getting close . Guess I'll do it as long as I can . Sure don't trust those "quicky" places . Thanks !
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 7:41pm
Work car gets changed at the Chrysler dealer every 3,000 miles, full synthetic with filter, $85.
Maximum use of available resources!
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 7:43am
Just done our 2022 Buick Envision at the dealer we go to was 79.80 with full synthetic, filter and rotate tires. I'm not changing oil if that what they charge me.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 8:05am
Yeah I may start using the dealership myself. I do enjoy looking at the new high dollar trucks. Thanks
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 4:42pm
FYI My 2019 Chevy gets changed at the dealership. 7 qts of full synthetic oil, Delvac, including filter, lube, fill wiper fluid and a couple other small things is $69.00.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 5:22pm
Sounds good Tom. Thanks!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 8:23am
Still doing oil changes on the fleet. But the price of the oil and filters is not cheap, Wally world seems to have the best prices. This new toy in the shop helps a lot too!

Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 8:26am
May have to buy my 2 year old granddaughter a car like that. Thanks!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic