This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.? Eco motors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.? Eco motors
    Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 1:02pm
Looking at new vehicles, our car is 20 years old. Looking at small SUVs most of them have small motors with a little turbo. They say the best thing for them is to idle a minute before you turn them off. Some of them have the feature where they shut the motor off at a stoplight. Wouldn't it be better for the motor if that was deactivated or deleted if you want to get long life out of these motors. And also why wouldn't they add the feature where the motor would idle before turning off just like your lights stay on for a minute after you get out of the vehicle.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 1:30pm
Dan you're asking for common sense ,NO such thing in the auto industry !!!!!!!!
All turbos should be idled for awhile,so I've been told...
The auto stop/start can be defeated, just google your  'make/model' info....

BTW ,since all new cars don't have physical keys, spend $20 and an hour to PREVENT your new ride  from being driven away by thieves.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 5:04pm
just a couple things to add Dan...  Normally driving stop light to stop light, the turbo is not going to be that hot. Some turbos dont do anything until you get over 1500 RPM... another is that MOST of the cars/ trucks you can TURN THAT OFF... After startup, push a button and it is NON FUNCTIONAL..... I think that might help your starter motor also..

Im sure the car companies have looked into this and not a big deal.. but the ONLY do this to raise the CAFE Gas mileage numbers.. it does NOTHING to help the truck..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 5:33pm
Hay, I just heard HERTZ has a great deal on low mileage TESLAS ! They're selling off 20,000 of them..going back to GAS powered cars !!!

AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 6:04pm
We have a 2024 Equinox with a 1.5 liter turbo that my wife drives most of the time. This is the second one we have owned. Just traded in a 2019 on it which had the same engine. The '19 got good gas mileage and was trouble free, just traded to upgrade. The stop-start can be turned off but after a while you just kind of don't care and just let it do it's thing. I don't even notice it any more. I don't let it idle to cool down, just shut it off. 
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

We have a 2024 Equinox with a 1.5 liter turbo that my wife drives most of the time. This is the second one we have owned. Just traded in a 2019 on it which had the same engine. The '19 got good gas mileage and was trouble free, just traded to upgrade. The stop-start can be turned off but after a while you just kind of don't care and just let it do it's thing. I don't even notice it any more. I don't let it idle to cool down, just shut it off. 
You may not notice the start/stop feature when everything works as it should, however after a bunch of miles and a given number of years, at some point the light will turn green and nothing will happen when you step on the gas.
 Back when I was trucking as an OO I never had any starter trouble. Then I started hauling fuel, regulations required the truck to be shut off whenever loading or unloading (as I didn't have a pump truck). Every 6 months I needed to replace the contacts in the solenoid.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 7:31pm
The car the wife has now is a 2003 Pontiac 3.4 v6 with 155,000 miles. Just had head gaskets done this summer. Would like to get the next vehicle to last that many years and miles.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 1:01pm
JayB What would I be spending $20 and an hour on to prevent thieves?
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 4:03pm
I guess they have the turbo thing perfected-they're everywhere on everything. You probably can't buy a domestic non-turbo small crossover.  Ford makes the Escape and has for years and now, you guess it, they are being discontinued.  Not sure if they are all eco/turbo now but there are a lot of them out there with a lot of miles.  Maybe pre-owned with a good warranty is an option.  Good Luck in your search.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 4:20pm
OK, here's the 'dirty little secret' and I'll bet all my 'orange' that NO thief can drive away your ride.
You add a switch or relay contact in series with the power feed to the fuelpump.
It's that SIMPLE. NO computer that ANY thief has can hack into it.
yes, they get in, start the car, it'll run until gas is used up in the fuel rails..maybe 5 minutes. After that, it'll turn over but well no gas ,no free car.

I've seen wireless relays for less than $12 and you need some connecting wire to $20.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 10:08pm
What percentage of new cars are turbocharged?

By 2022, it's estimated that at least 50% of vehicles sold in the U.S. will have one or more turbochargers under the hood. Turbochargers are not a new technology. During the 1980s and 1990s, many automakers used turbochargers on gasoline engines for limited applications for performance.
-------------------------
U.S. auto sales reached an estimated 15.5 million units in 2023, an 11.6% jump from 13.9 million vehicles sold in 2022, Cox said.Jan 4, 2024

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Jan 2024 at 10:10pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 6:21am
curious....
is a 100HP turbo charged engine truly better in fuel economy than a 100HP 'normal' EFI engine ?

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 8:40am
Jay... it takes maybe 70 HP to push a pickup truck down the road at 60 MPH... I have a F150 with a 200 cubic inch DUAL turbo charged V6.... At 60 MPH the engine is running 1400 RPM and gets 20 MPG ... probably putting out 100 HP.... Stomp on the throttle and the TURBOS kick in right after 1400 RPM and get to full power before 2000 RPM... Power goes straight up to 380 HP and the fuel meter drops to 5 MPG during that 10 seconds of time....

If that engine had NO TURBO and i continue to run at 60 MPH, probably no difference.. The DIFFERENCE is you stomp on the throttle with no turbo, and it would SLOWLY WALK up in ground speed... because you have NO HP as a backup.

Edited by steve(ill) - 14 Jan 2024 at 5:18pm
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 9:13am
I always shut the automatic shut off off because in my opinion all it does is wears the starter out fast and what does it cost to replaced them starters?

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 9:38am
My 15 Jeep Cherokee  with 3.2 has the stop start feature and found if one has stopped at light , if you let off on brakes - then step on it again it bypasses the system . 
 Now after a year or so the system quit working and I get a warning stop start is not working and no problem with it operating on it's own - warning comes up after 15 or 20 minutes of driving .
 Asked about the fix at dealer and they came up with some ridiculous price , evidently the system is tied into battery voltage / charging system to activate it . So a few times A warning message has come up, voltage low - stop start not available .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 9:44am
On the Jeep Cherokee - last year for the 3.2 was 2022 , now they offered only 4 cylinder engine for 2023 and also dropped the small Cherokee line completely in late 23/24 years.
 My 15 has TOW package and rated at 4,000 capacity with the 3.2 , for 2023 the smaller 4 cylinder with a turbo says it will tow 4,000 , regular 4 cylinder with a few more cubes is rated at 1,500 towing  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

curious....
is a 100HP turbo charged engine truly better in fuel economy than a 100HP 'normal' EFI engine ?

It has the potential to give better fuel economy Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic