This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

05 2500 GMC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 05 2500 GMC
    Posted: 11 May 2019 at 11:45am
Got a 05 GMC 2500HD that wears the rear tires out fast. Cant see anything wrong any ideas? Less than 10,000 miles and no I am not drag racing. Truck has 125,000 miles on it now had 100,000 when I bought it. 2 sets of tires
Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 12:03pm
Alignment off, Frame Tweaked, Axle Shifted comes to mind.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 12:27pm
Broken spring or sheared center pin or spring eye bushings worn out.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 3:54pm
That should have a 14 b full floater rear jack it up pull the axles and check the rear wheel bearings. You won't find a bad one with the axle shafts until it's bad enough your needing spindles next. Spring centering pins and spring bushings should make it dog track but not increase tire wear. Wheel bearings will cause cupping like a ball joint does on the front. Or maybe your just running overloaded or under pressure. A 2500 should be running load range E tires with 60-80 PSI.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 5:22pm
Steve have someone else drive it down the highway. Follow them and see it it dog tracks. I know you are not in Iowa, but the absolute very best folks we found to figure out suspension problems with cars, trucks, vans, etc. Merrill Wheel and Axle in Des Moines Iowa. They are the people that dealers take problem vehicals to when their people cannot figure out the problems. I sent several customers to them.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 7:31pm
If it has limited slip differential make sure it’s not locked in all the time. I have seen on Ford F250s the clutch packs seize up and won’t unlock in turns wearing tires out faster
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 7:50pm
yep...all of the above
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 3:36pm
Still haven’t found anything wrong. Bearings seem to be good, no broken springs and the hangers look good, didn’t take apart but the center pins look right and doesn’t look like it has shifted. I don’t know it has limited slip differential could not find a tag but when jacked up with trans in neutral you can turn 1 wheel easy. Tires are 265/75R16 load range E and had 50 lbs air. Truck is empty 90% of the time. Drivers side is wearing even, passenger side is wearing on one side both sides are wearing too fast. I also checked for rim trueness. Thanks for all the help
OldSchoolRecovery View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 8:13pm
What brand tires?  I have a 07' GMC 2500HD and when I bought it from my cheapass brother, he had fleetfarm or walmart tires on it, whichever, was the cheapest at the time.  The truck rode hard and the tires looked like junk with uneven wear, etc.

I replace the tires with Cooper tires and they are wearing great.  They were a little squishy at first, but that was because I was comparing them to the rocks that were one the truck.  I am used to them now and like them a lot.  I run 50 in all four, unless pulling my equipment trailer or hauling something heavy in the box, then 80.

When I do get new tires on my car or truck, I have them do an alignment.  They may be able to tell you as they do all four wheels.

Also, rotate your tires.  While I'm guilty of not doing that as recommended, in your case you will extend the life of all the tires, instead of just burning one up.

My thoughts,

Carl

Edited by OldSchoolRecovery - 12 May 2019 at 8:13pm
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:12am
With it on level ground,lay a level on the wheels and see if they are standing straight up.
 Had a 76 chevy one time that the axle tube was bent.
 A 4 wheel alignment machine would be a good diagnostic tool.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:24am
Shocks, brake lines and calipers
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:34am
Gas pedal. Wink
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Gas pedal. Wink

It’s a Chevy
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:44pm
If the side that is wearing fast is the side that turned harder when you had it in the air and in neutral then it has to be a brake dragging, wheel bearing or a bad differential causing it.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 11:18am
Update on truck. I took it to a place that does 4 wheel alinement and the rear end is bent. Will have to replace to fix it over ½ inch toe end
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 11:51am
Sorry for the bad news but thanks for the update
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 3:31pm
Where are all the Ford and Dodge guys? I thought they would be in for the kill by now. Wink

Edited by chaskaduo - 06 Jun 2019 at 3:32pm
OldSchoolRecovery View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolRecovery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 5:43pm
Not great news, but now you know...

Carl

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 10:52pm
How do you bend a 3/4 ton axle hsg?
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 11:30pm
jumping terraces
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 6:28am
chas,
 We try to be easy on the Chevy guys. They have enough problems without us bothering them!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

chas,
 We try to be easy on the Chevy guys. They have enough problems without us bothering them!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
LOLLOLLOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 7:19am
To answer SteveM question the shop said it was probably overloaded or wrecked. I crawled around under it and could not see any evidence of it being wrecked and it does not have a salvage title. This happened before I bought it and is probably why previous owner got rid of it
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 9:22am
Steve, you may want to consider replacing ALL leaf spring mounting bushings as this would be the ideal time to do it. 
I picked up a 2007 2500HD 2WD cab & a half short bed with over a 100K miles for use on the farm some years back and it sat for over a year in the shop until I had a new CM bed put on it for general use including gooseneck trailering. Always bugged me that it had a slight "clunk" when leaving a light and my fear initially was a worn out rear as uni joints were tight and lubed. Called a truck suspension shop in Fort Worth, relayed the symptoms and he chuckled before telling me that if the rear end was not clunking by binding on short corners, "run it as that GM rear will likely outlast you". Advised the spring mounting bushings were likely worn in and the GM's were known for this.  Ran it by a friends shop for him to watch the rear when put into drive from park. Sure enough, you could see a small amount of play in worn bushings and he advised he had seen many do it and GM eventually changed out the material for these bushings. Had me view it while he moved it from park into drive and then asked me if I ever felt it with the stock trailer or flatbed  gooseneck or bumper pull trailers hooked up, even empty. I realized then that it was less obvious after installing the flatbed as it was heavier than the stock bed. Picked up 10 sacks of feed (500#) on the way home and sure enough, just enough weight to get the rear springs in a little bit of tension at the bushing area and no noise made at all. Same with any of the trailers as just the hitch weight takes care of it.
Have monitored/rotated the tires throughout as nearly new when I bought it and they have worn evenly and normal wear with over 50K miles now.
Only thing I have done is add a can of BG to the rear diff and clear the rubber vent tube so she can breath and she has been on a number of long trips including trailering without issue.
Best of luck on gettin your ol' gal straightened out.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic