Print Page | Close Window

7010 powershift dragging

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Farm Equipment
Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=212408
Printed Date: 04 Oct 2026 at 2:56am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: 7010 powershift dragging
Posted By: Walkertractorshop
Subject: 7010 powershift dragging
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2026 at 8:42pm
I was told to come here from the Facebook 7000 group for expert advice. I have a friend's 7010 PS in shop for it dragging in all but 4th and 6th speeds, including reverse. I've been through JD PS's and know it's fighting clutch packs. I've had the valve off and all seems well with it. Main question is am I looking at a split or is there something else to look for? My family has run AC's from WW2 up to our newest, a 220, but I don't know anything about the 7000's, though I now own a PD 7030 red belly.



Replies:
Posted By: DrAllis
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2026 at 10:37pm
There are 6 plungers in that PST valve body. One of them (or more) has to be or WAS stuck partially down, which if operated long enough by an operator that doesn't pay attention, will smoke/destroy a clutch pack. I always disassemble that part of the valve completely, inspect and do a slight chamfer of the aluminum body at the top of the plunger bore to make sure nothing drags. Anyway, when the valve is removed, you can actually see 4 of the six clutch packs thru the side of the transmission case to inspect the space between each drive disc and separator plates. The air gaps between those parts cannot be uneven. That indicates warped parts. Rotate each clutch pack and inspect every (3 ?) locations for damage. You can air check clutches too. I'd also be fully draining the oil and cleaning the suction screen at the bottom and inspect for how much schrapnel is laying on the screens bottom cover plate. This will help determine your next move. A double split to remove and repair the transmission. More frequent oil and filter changes would be recommended of the transmission.



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net