![]() |
This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity. | |||||
| The Forum | Parts and Services | Unofficial Allis Store | Tractor Shows | Serial Numbers | History | |
B underhood muffler |
Post Reply
|
| Author | |
john2189
Silver Level
Joined: 11 Sep 2009 Location: Minerva,Ohio Points: 440 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Topic: B underhood mufflerPosted: 24 May 2026 at 1:52pm |
|
Would it hurt anything if I were to add a 20” piece of pipe to the exhaust to keep the fumes out of my face?
|
|
|
'41 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub |
|
![]() |
|
| Sponsored Links | |
![]() |
|
steve(ill)
Orange Level Access
Joined: 11 Sep 2009 Location: illinois Points: 93227 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 24 May 2026 at 1:55pm |
|
no... extension would be OK...
|
|
|
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
|
|
![]() |
|
Cal
Bronze Level
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 Location: East Woodstock Points: 177 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 24 May 2026 at 9:42pm |
|
It is very difficult to add an above pipe extension to an under hood muffle, because of the odd shape and angle of the pipe, If you want an above hood pipe why not get an above hood muffler and get the heat above the under hood area. The reason for the under hood muffler is to clear trees and branches, like when using a cutter bar. Cal in Ct
|
|
![]() |
|
wjohn
Orange Level
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 Location: KS Points: 2609 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 24 May 2026 at 10:30pm |
So I have actually been wondering about this. The CA manuals/parts books show the under-hood muffler as part of the low compression, low octane intake/exhaust equipment, with the high compression gasoline equipment having the above-hood muffler. Did keeping the muffler under the hood help warm the distillate/low octane fuel in the intake more than an above-hood muffler would? Otherwise, I can't figure out why it was tied only to the low-compression option. I haven't looked back at the B parts catalog yet to see if it had a similar relation. I know the OP was asking in another thread about converting his carburetor to gasoline parts. If you want to do that, and assuming you are only running on gasoline these days, that might also be another reason to change to an above-hood muffler.
|
|
|
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
|
|
![]() |
|
wjohn
Orange Level
Joined: 19 Jan 2010 Location: KS Points: 2609 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 24 May 2026 at 10:32pm |
|
Whoops - mixing up my Johns! I can't edit my post above due to the 404 error I get in the text editor. Sorry, not the same guy that was asking about B carb parts!
Either way, I'm curious about the reason for the underhood muffler with the low octane equipment group.
|
|
|
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
|
|
![]() |
|
john2189
Silver Level
Joined: 11 Sep 2009 Location: Minerva,Ohio Points: 440 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 25 May 2026 at 6:00am |
It had the underhood when I bought the tractor. Wasn’t hard, I smashed the pipe to fit the muffler. I read somewhere that the underhood was to keep water out of the manifold. Since the muffler goes in side the manifold, rain water would get into the manifold. |
|
|
'41 Allis B
'49 Farmall Cub |
|
![]() |
|
Les Kerf
Orange Level
Joined: 08 May 2020 Location: Idaho Points: 1920 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 25 May 2026 at 8:21am |
That is an interesting question, I installed an underhood muffler on a Model C 30+ years ago and it most definitely added a significant amount of heat. I was happy to get rid of it
![]() |
|
![]() |
|
PaulB
Orange Level
Joined: 12 Sep 2009 Location: Rocky Ridge Md Points: 5452 |
Post Options
Thanks(0)
Quote Reply
Posted: 25 May 2026 at 9:12am |
|
It is easy enough to round out the underhood muffler to allow an extension to slip on. That is what I have done on my RC.
Just use a large punch to start swelling it round again and follow with larger pieces of round stock. |
|
|
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits. If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY |
|
![]() |
|
Post Reply
|
|
|
Tweet
|
| Forum Jump | Forum Permissions ![]() You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum |