This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC B project- valve cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC B project- valve cover
    Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 9:17pm
Trying to rescue an Allis B tractor (1940 s/n 38660) with Woods L306 belly mower that’s been sitting in neighbors front yard for several years.  Couldn’t stand to see it rot away  Engine is froze tight. I’m trying to take the valve cover off. Took off the four nuts on top.  Won’t move. What else am I missing?  Operators and service manuals just say “remove the valve cover”.  I can get a screw driver underneath it in the corners but something is holding it tight. Any ideas?

PS I took out the spark plugs and drain plug. Engine was completely full of water, took out 3-4 gallons from the cylinders, exhaust manifold, and oil pan. 
Guessing it came in through exhaust manifold.  Am I wasting my time on this motor?
Sponsored Links

KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 9:24pm
If you have winter freezes, that engine block is cracked.

So yes, time to look for another engine.
Duane R View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 9:32pm
Afraid your right. I’ll start looking. I hate when neglect destroys something so simple and cool like the B. ☹️. Thanks.
Duane R View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 9:36pm
Also, found your forum a month ago when I first thought about buying the tractor. I am impressed with all the knowledge you all share. Truly aces..
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 9:52pm
Welcome to the forum. Try to find yourself an older original dealers parts book. Sometimes part numbers get changed over the years. Then figure out how to use the agco parts book’s website for the modern numbers. FYI the old allis chalmers numbers will most likely be six digits. Then in the mid 80s Deutz allis bought them they added 70 to beginning of part number and now agco. 
Then post on here there’s lots of us that have nos parts. 
Another fyi if you say wtb there’s a lot of computer generated scammers that will try to get you to email a friend that has what your looking for
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 4:56am
There are 4 rubber packings under the washer that are tight 
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 5:49am
Nothing but friction is holding the valve cover down.  I wouldn't call the block junk till you've completely torn it down.  If you want to spend the money, the block itself may be good.  Just needs a complete overhaul. 
AaronSEIA
Duane R View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 6:14am
Bought operators, parts, and service manuals that are reprints of originals so that got me started since I’m a rookie at this. Good to know how the parts number changed over the years. No surprise since it struck me the tractor is 83 years old now!

So some careful pressure and lots of WD-40 should hopefully convince that valve cover to release.

Thanks!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 6:22am
use a sharp putty knife and go all way round the valve cover/head joint. last guy may have used a 'gasket sealer' in there. I did that on the forklift..never leaked after that !
I suspect the motor is now a 'treasure trove of parts' and I'd get another engine(heck whole tractor...) especially upgrade to one with starter.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 6:35am
 Spray some penetrating oil on the bolts.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 7:01am
If it's like my 45,the rubber seals under the nuts are squished in tight in the threads. If you can get it to unscrew from the stud it will get loose enough to remove.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 8:34am
take a screw driver or packing knife and get the rubber washers off FIRST... then pry the cover off.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 11:31am
I'm wit' Jay on the sealer. Someone might have used RTV all the way around it to use the old gasket again. Those rubber washers really bite into the threads on those studs, so that might be your problem also. The engine in my B was full of water as well, but it was savable. I wouldn't condemn it till you got it apart and see what you have.... As long as there isn't a giant crack in the block, I would think its usable. Good luck, hope the engine is still good yet......
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Duane R View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 9:51pm
Spot on. Soaked with WD-40. I used a jackknife to peel under the rubber packing that I couldn’t even see as it was crushed into the cover. Unscrewed the packing and the valve cover pops off. Hindsight showed me I didn’t look at the parts book close enough as it shows the washer and the packing.  Need to learn the terminality better. 
Good news is the top of the head, springs, push rods, etc are clean with no rust. On to the next step……
Thanks for the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic