This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kidney beans havestor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kidney beans havestor
    Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 8:50am
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 8:25pm
The bean  harvester is a Bob's Model 56. I owned the next size larger a Bob's 666.
They were built in Stanley New York. Very good and gentle combine. It's all about minimizing the seed coat damage since kidney beans are cooked in the can. The second rate bean quality kidney beans end up on salad bars. I grew 500 acres of kidney beans for 20 years. 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 8:58pm
Neat how things are harvested, that’s new to me. I love kidney beans. What area are kidney beans raised without me googling it lol?

Edited by AC720Man - 03 Oct 2023 at 8:59pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 5:47am
It reminded me of a pull type peanut combine when I first saw the video.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Neat how things are harvested, that’s new to me. I love kidney beans. What area are kidney beans raised without me googling it lol?
They are common here in central Minnesota. They have a short growing season, the last thing planted and the first thing harvested.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 7:47pm
Growing areas are primarily western Ontario, the thumb of Michigan, Minnesota, and southern Manitoba. The harvesting  process is first to cut the plant off just below the ground with a knife puller. This is done with dew on the plant so the beans don't fall out of the pod. We usually started about 4am. Beans are then windrowed with 6 or more rows on a windrow. Combining starts at noon or when the pods are dry. The Sund pickup on the video is superior to the one that in normally on the combine. The rakes are used to bring the beans up to the first spike tooth cylinder. The pan under the rakes is perforated and the rakes help to shake the ground off the roots. Mud is not our friend. The first threshing cylinder can run as slow as 56 rpm. Behind the first cylinder are straw walkers about 6' long. At that point we want about 90%+ of the beans out of the pods. A second spike cylinder runs about 30% faster and threshes the remaining beans except for a very few. Several times per afternoon I would stop the combine full , partially lift the bin and crawl into on top of the walkers. I wanted to find one or two pods unthreshed  on the second  set of walkers. If they were all threshed, I slowed down the cylinders to minimize the skin damage. If too many were  unthreshed, I sped up the cylinders. The bin tips into the truck because augers cause a lot of damage. It's been 20 years this year since my last crop of Kidney beans. Combines are now a higher capacity rotory type. The harvesting process is very similar to peanut harvesting 
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2023 at 8:25pm
Cool post. Every product has a different way of harvesting. I just do "corn and soybeans". Pretty boring compared to to some of the other crops out there.
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 8:27pm
Gleaner sold units set up for edible beans that were used in kidney beans  most had spike cylinders and spring tooth doors. The spring tooth provided protection from the rocks and hard clods that sometimes accompanied these crops.  Augers were trimmed back and then 'popcorn' augers were used that had special smaller flighting to help control bean damage.  Just a falshback memory when viewing the neat video.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2023 at 8:38pm
Conventional Gleaner combines worked well in navy beans and other small seed editable beans. Regular combines in our area are only used to salvage beans in an extremely wet year when the alternative was to lose the crop . We did that in one field in 1992.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic