This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IB wiring harness -opinion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IB wiring harness -opinion
    Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 3:47pm
Who makes the best quality cloth wrapped wiring harness?  I'd like it look as original as possible.   No Chinese.   Thanks y'all. 
Sponsored Links

55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 5:12pm
Djs tractor has them.
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 6:32pm
If you absolutely want an exact duplicate of original there's only on place I would go: www.brillman.com ; John puts all the original colors of trace wrapping on new top quality wire with a cloth braded outer wrap.  A number of years ago when I redid my CA that had a wiring harness that I'm 100%sure had never been molested in any way, I took the old harness to him to copy. I have also taken any NOS wiring harnesses I've ever had to him to make a pattern from. 
  There is nowhere else I would go to for anything and everything electrical. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 10:24am
The problem with cloth braided outer wrap is if and when it gets wet, it hold moisture in like a sponge. After a while the wrapping starts to come apart and the harness looks shoddy. If you want the original look, than that's the way to go, but the longevity isn't there. That's why when I build my wiring systems, I use a cotton woven asphalt loom which repels water and moisture. I also use a Polyethelene crosslinked Marine wire that is superiior to whaever Mother Nature throws at it. The Polyethelene jacket is thicker than the XL type Automotive wire and the crosslinked copper wire inside is "tinned" for corrosion resistance. My systems also have shrink tube terminal ends to keep all joints weathertite. Your call there. If interested, I offer a nice wiring system as well. Give me a call .... Our website is temporarily down due to a domain change and the site is getting moved over.
Steve@B&B
(973) 632-5596
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 11:09am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

If you absolutely want an exact duplicate of original there's only on place I would go: www.brillman.com ; John puts all the original colors of trace wrapping on new top quality wire with a cloth braded outer wrap.  A number of years ago when I redid my CA that had a wiring harness that I'm 100%sure had never been molested in any way, I took the old harness to him to copy. I have also taken any NOS wiring harnesses I've ever had to him to make a pattern from. 
  There is nowhere else I would go to for anything and everything electrical. 

I 2nd Brillman,can't be beat.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 12:53pm
The original poster asked for a "CLOTH WRAPPED WIRING HARNESS AS ORIGINAL AS POSSIBLE"  John Brillman does just that to the highest quality and authentic standards that far surpasses anything else I've ever seen, not what someone thinks in their opinion is what you should buy because this is what I sell. That is the mindset of a partspimp.
  All of Brillman's wiring harnesses are made with top quality wire with soldered and heat shrunk weatherproof ends. If someone would prefer a weatherproof jacket  that could be done easily for a "work" tractor. Or if someone would want any special options, that is also available. 
 99% of these tractors that get restored to exact original condition never see inclement weather and may only ever be outside when at a show, many are even hauled to and fro in an enclosed trailer.  

Edited by PaulB - 03 Oct 2023 at 3:32pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 5:45pm
Hey Paul, I never said John didn't use top quality stuff. I simply stated that cloth wrapped harnesses take on moisture when they get wet. Fact. If you read a little more carefully, you would see I also said  if you want the original look than that would be the way you want to go  Obviously, you don't read well. Must be a lot of show Tractors in MD. A lot of my customer's use their Tractors darn near everyday to farm with, so you're enclosed trailer excuse only applies to certain folks with a show Tractor that don't want to get them dirty. That's fine. I also don't appreciate being referred to as a parts pimp. I've been building wiring systems for all kinds of vehicles for over 50 years. Have you?  Think NOT. You always seem to have a wise-guy attitude on here when you answer questions. You should lighten up a bit bucko......
Steve@B&B  
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic