This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Hand Clutch Restore - Final Update 4/23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Hand Clutch Restore - Final Update 4/23
    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 1:55pm
Final update! See post dated 4/23 on p2.

I've mentioned in an earlier post that the hand clutch on my CA won't release. I had rehabbed it 10+ years ago, and, though it worked fine at first, I then had problems with it slipping. I tried adjusting the release actuator - that didn't help at all. The most recent issue is that it won't release.

Today I tackled removal of the hand clutch to investigate. As I reported in my "CA Brake Mystery" thread, the drive shaft, clutch/brake unit and pinion shaft all separated from each other with no effort at all! I should be and am grateful!! Big smile

I will replace the brake drum part of the brake/clutch unit with a used one that has been sitting on the shelf for years, waiting for this moment to arrive.

Here are some pictures of the unit:

And here is a shot of the actuator. You'll see that there's no set screw locking the adjusting hub......

And here's what fell out of the housing when I tipped it:

The missing set screw! Not having this bolt installed probably contributed to my issues!

Next step is to review - again - all the information on here about restoring the clutch and actuator. In the meantime, any comments based on the pictures would be really welcome.

Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 24 Apr 2019 at 8:22am
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Sponsored Links

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 2:10pm
Okay. I have read the CA Hand Clutch rebuild thread in the Knowledge section - very helpful. I am questioning the actuator gap quoted in photo #7 - the manuals I have state 0.005" (IT manual) or 0.055" (AC reprint) compared to the 0.50" in the caption for #7!

Next step is to disassemble the unit and clean up the parts. I'll report back when this is done.

Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 08 Mar 2019 at 4:29pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 4:38pm
I have disassembled the clutch pack. Both of the primary, secondary pressure plates were rusted to the clutch plate. Clutch plate will need to have the material removed and new riveted on. Both pressure plates are pitted to some degree. I'll try to post some pictures later.

I'm still trying to dope out the actuator/clutch pack separation. The post in the Knowledge forum says 0.5" which clearly can't be right. The IT manual specifies 0.005" while the AC service manual says 0.055". I'm strongly wanting to believe the AC service manual, of course, but it'd be nice to have some corroboration!

Thanks,  all.
Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 7:48pm
The clutch pack innards were pretty well welded together by rust. Here are pictures of the clutch plate and the two pressure plates after I separated them and cleaned up the pressure plates:

Clutch:

Primary pressure plate:

Secondary pressure plate:

Clearly the clutch needs to be rebuilt. What do you all think of the pressure plates? Can they be resurfaced, or would it be better to replace them? Parts sources?

Thanks much.
Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 9:03am
The actuator clearance stated in the knowledge base is a "Phat Phinger" error. It should be 0.050". These clutches, and parts, are hard to come by. You can try to resurface the plates; however, you will have to adjust the gap setting by grinding material off the ears.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 12:26pm
Thanks, Greg. There's a machine shop near me that might be able to do this work. Per the Knowledge Base, the clutch wants a gap of 0.020" when compressed. Do you know if the gap is measured between the primary pressure plate and the clutch disc or secondary pressure plate and the clutch disc?

Thanks
Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 1:18pm
Compress the assembled clutch in a shop press, vise, C-Clamp or ?? and measure the gap between the friction surfaces. I would suspect that you will see 1/8 to 1/4" gap initially. Measure the actual gap and subtract 0.020" to get the amount you will need to remove from the ears to reach the final 0.020" gap. Note the 0.020" gap is nominal, the clutch will function fine with less of a gap. Measure your springs; they should all be the same height, if not consider replacing them. I also apply a little never seize (sparingly) to the ball seats before final assembly.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 1:37pm
The plates and ball seats are no longer available. You can still get the springs, liners w/rivets, disc assembly & rollers from AGCO. McMaster Carr should have the rollers as well for less money. I don’t know of any 3rd party suppliers. I currently have parts being machined. I plan on putting together a “CA” hand clutch rebuild video.
I would recommend replacing the springs as they do lose tension over time.

Edited by DennisA (IL) - 09 Mar 2019 at 2:39pm
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 3:07pm
Greg and Dennis - thanks very much for all that info - big help. I'll check the springs and balls.  I'll update this once I resurface the clutch, get the pressure plates cleaned up, etc. Looking forward to seeing the video, Dennis.

Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 09 Mar 2019 at 3:08pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 3:55pm
If the roller seats are worn you may be able to remove them and rotate them 90 degrees. I’ve never done that so it may work or just open a can of worms. If you do rotate them make sure you do it before you machine the ears/ tabs down. That way your clearance is right.

Edited by DennisA (IL) - 09 Mar 2019 at 3:59pm
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 5:53pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 9:23pm
Dennis, the ball seats look uniform - thankfully. But this would be a good thing to make right before reassembling.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 9:53pm
Be certain to look on the Knowledge section of this forum.  You will find a section on the rebuild of the CA hand clutch there.  It has been most helpful to some.
As to grinding the ears when we were selling and servicing them we ground 1/8" off the ears.  Seemed to work well.
As to parts, Sandy Lake - one of the advertisers on this forum - does outstanding work on parts and supplies for Allis Chalmers.  They are most helpful.  Give them a call
Looks like you have a difficult job ahead.  When we got into them we replaced the springs and dishes but that was "back in the day"
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 7:51am
Hi Bill - thanks for all that! I think it'll go well once I line up some parts and a machine shop. I'll be back with updates.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 3:55pm
So the pressure plates are at a machine shop to have the pitting removed. And some parts are ordered: clutch plate kit, springs and balls.

Meanwhile, I ran across a fellow who claims to have a trailer full of NOS parts and MIGHT have unused replacements for some of the clutch parts. He was a little vague about whether the stash is AC parts or parts for various brands. Gonna go look tomorrow morning.

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 11 Mar 2019 at 3:56pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 3:18pm
I got my clutch plates back today. They had to remove about .060" from each plate. Just waiting for springs and disc assy from AGCO.

I got the springs and disc assy in today.

Edited by DennisA (IL) - 15 Mar 2019 at 12:03pm
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 4:53pm
Those plates look great all cleaned up, Dennis. It'll be interesting to see how much you have to remove from the "ears". 

I'm also waiting for a kit to resurface the clutch plate and springs as well. And waiting to have the pressure plates resurfaced.

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 14 Mar 2019 at 7:36pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 7:58am
Parts came yesterday! Included new disc balls. They look larger than the ones that came out of mine. I haven't taken the actuator apart yet to compare them to the release balls. 

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 16 Mar 2019 at 4:11pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 4:19pm
Parts to rehab the clutch surfaces arrived yesterday. The old surfaces were totally destroyed by the rust.

Here's my riveting machine - sorry for the clutter in the background. It's foot-pedal actuated and sets up a rivet like a dream. This belonged to my local AC buddy who passed away in 2010. It's been sitting in his shop since then. Knowing that I needed to install rivets for this project, I stopped by when his son was there and asked if I could borrow it. He GAVE it to me.

And here's the clutch plate with new friction surfaces:

The pressure plates are at the machine shop. Unfortunately they won't be touched for a week. But I'm looking forward to posting some shots like Dennis's soon.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:58pm
The CA disc balls are much smaller than say...the brake disc balls for the 100 series tractor...there's a very big difference. Hopefully, they didn't send you the wrong ones, but can be returned, I'm sure.   Rick
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 8:44pm
Thanks, Rick. I was able to compare the balls shipped to me to the disc balls that came out of the clutch pack - they're the same size. So, all good.
Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 12:04pm
Machine shop called to say that the pressure plates were ready! They took off 0.045 total in addition to whatever I removed with the belt sanding machine - so maybe a total of 0.055". They look a LOT better - see my 3/8 post for the "before" pictures. Here are the refreshed plates:

I'll be able to reassemble the clutch pack later today and measure the gap, then back to the machine shop to trim the ears. PROGRESS!!

BTW, note the three holes in each plate. There were corresponding holes in the clutch plate - clearly this clutch had been thru-bolted at one point.

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 19 Mar 2019 at 12:07pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 12:20pm
Looking good!
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 4:43pm
I assembled the clutch pack today. New springs, new disc balls. Put the pack in my shop press and applied pressure. Here are the pictures of the compressed pack - the white arrow indicates where the gap opened up in the pack. The second picture shows the compressed pack with 0.072" of feeler gauge inserted. So my gap is 0.052" over the recommended width.

So two questions:

1. The pack is compressed in a 20 ton press. Does this compress the pack more than the clutch handle? Said differently, how far should I compress the pack in the shop press to match what will happen in the tractor?

2. The disc balls are slightly loose when the clutch pack is uncompressed. Is this okay?

Thanks very much guys!
Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 9:03pm
With a little nudge from GregLawler, I think I'm clear on my first question. The 0.020" is a nominal measurement in the shop press that translates into a smaller gap - but enough - when in use in the tractor. It'd help if I would read what he wrote in his post 10 days ago!

WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 3:53pm
I have double-checked the disc balls. They and the ones I removed from the clutch pack are 0.75" diameter. So it's likely that these are the right balls.

Spent some time thinking about what these balls do. When the clutch is opened to stop the tractor,  the clutch disc and the primary pressure plate move toward the right wheel inside the clutch pack - away from the secondary pressure plate which doesn't move as the secondary pressure plate is bolted to the brake drum which is keyed to the final drive shaft. The resulting gap interrupts power to the right wheel. The purpose of the disc balls is to support the clutch and primary pressure plates against the force of the springs when the clutch is opened.

So here's the punch line: If the disc balls were immovable with the clutch closed (power to right wheel), there'd be no space for the clutch to open into. That is, the balls have to be loose with the clutch closed in order for it to be able to open.

I hope this is making sense to you who read it.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

The purpose of the disc balls is to support the clutch and primary pressure plates against the force of the springs when the clutch is opened.

If the disc balls were immovable with the clutch closed (power to right wheel), there'd be no space for the clutch to open into. That is, the balls have to be loose with the clutch closed in order for it to be able to open.

NO, the purpose of the clutch balls is to ramp the clutch OPEN, when you pull the actuator, which compresses the springs. The ball set in a recess on either side  and you "mis-align" those recesses when you actuate the clutch.
I hope this is making sense to you who read it. Wink
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 9:13pm
CTucker, there are two sets of balls involved. You are absolutely correct about the release balls. They sit behind the release actuator and translate the force on the hand lever into force on the actuator. On the other hand, the disc balls sit between the primary pressure plate and the brake drum inner surface - they're at the other end of the whole assembly and have nothing to do with opening the clutch. It's the disc balls that I've been concerned about. I'll try to figure out how to copy the parts diagram - that'll help with understanding all this.

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 9:47pm
HUH? LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 10:42pm
Here's the hand clutch diagram:

CTucker's post describes how the release balls function to move the release actuator.

I've been thinking about the disc balls which sit at the other end of the entire hand clutch assembly between the primary pressure plate and the inside of the brake drum. The function of the disc balls is to support the primary pressure plate when the clutch is fully open.

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 21 Mar 2019 at 6:01am
WC, CA, D14, WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic