This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What size plow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tractor305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What size plow
    Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 9:08pm
We have an Allis Chalmers 200. Our soils in western Pennsylvania range from sandy to heavy and fields can be hilly . what size moldboard plow would anybody out there recommend? thanks the new allis guys
Sponsored Links

Shawn PA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 9:11pm
Hi there. Where at in western PA ? I'm from the same area and with my XT it will handle a 4/16 semi mount in most ground.   Shawn
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 11:08pm
 Well as a guide Allis said 8-10 hp per bottom for the early style plows and 10-20 hp per bottom on the newer style plows.
 The following is a list of what tractors we use with each plow.
"CA" #62-#53 mounted
"WD" #53 mounted
"WD-45" #64 mounted
"D-17" series IV #65 semi-mounted
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 6:25am
4 x 16 or 4 x 18 should work in nearly all conditions and I wouldn't bother with those hard pulling Deere plows.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 6:40am
It all depends if you want to really plow(8-10") or just turn over the sod. I pulled monoframe 2000 4x16 with my 200 for years and it did fine but there was no way it would want more. The plow did have a Midwest buster bar harrow on it which I'm sure made it a little harder to pull. But then you see on this site where a lot of people swear a D-17 will pull 4 bottoms---so there you are--go figure 
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Ky.Allis Ky.Allis wrote:

But then you see on this site where a lot of people swear a D-17 will pull 4 bottoms---so there you are--go figure 
There's no swearing about it, it's a fact and I've proven it and not by plowing sand. I plowed heavy soil with blue and yellow clay. Pulled in 2nd gear, low range. Hard and very dry with alfalfa sod. No one at the show could plow that year with their pull type plows unless they hooked a JD 720 or Oliver 880 to a 2 bottom. I pulled a fully mounted #74 AC 4x14 at 9" and got a lot of compliments from some and the diehard IH and Deere men just turned and walked away. My brother has me on film doing the same thing the very next year but the conditions weren't as tough as the year before, oat stubble. You can believe it or not but I really had fun that day!
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 6:58am
I'd believe it from a D17, especially with a fully mounted 4 bottom. That would add a lot of weight when the traction booster kicks in.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 7:09am
True and I had two rear wheel weights on each rear wheel and a set of front wheel weights plus five 90# suitcase weights on the front end and about eight 65# suitcase weights on the foot platforms.

The year before I had brought only the D17 just to show and some old feller was running down the D17 and told me a good D17 could barely handle a 3 bottom plow. I made it my #1 goal to prove him wrong the next year so I looked around for a good 4 bottom and the rest is history.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 7:26am
In our area a 200 will handle a 5/16 without much problem, but we have mainly silt loam, or silt loam clay soils with a little clay in some spots. A 4/16 wouldn't be over kill and you could maintain a steady speed when you do hit heavy soil.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 7:35am
Full fluid in rear tires and at least 500 lbs of front weights.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 7:53am
Originally posted by Ky.Allis Ky.Allis wrote:

It all depends if you want to really plow(8-10") or just turn over the sod.  But then you see on this site where a lot of people swear a D-17 will pull 4 bottoms---so there you are--go figure 

Load your 200 on a trailer and hook on a plow outside of your back yard and your opinion will change as I learned when hauling our Model A to working shows all over the midwest.  In stubble on my farm a D-17 will pull 4 bottoms 10" deep in the high side of 2nd gear and your 200 will pull anybody's 5x16 plow  10" deep in 6th gear and 6 bottoms in 5th, been done.  Up in Michigan there are sandy soils where you can pull two more in same gears.  Just up the road near Marion Ohio there is ground you might want 3-18 to hold 10"  with 100HP on tap.   Take same tractors to same place and plow alfalfa sod in dry weather and be prepared for chin to hit steering wheel when you drop the plow. Bottom line is the answer to these questions always is,, it depends.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 8:37am
It definitely depends on the tractor set up and the soil type and soil conditions. After I bought my gas 4020 I bought an AC 2000 4x18 plow at an auction. Beat out the iron man who did buy a JD 4x16 plow. When I went to pick up the AC plow I saw the sl*g on the ground where the green plow had been cut up with a torch.

On my farm with a mix of Nicolette, Webster, Clarion, and Okoboji soil types, I plowed in 3rd gear at 3.5 mph. The AC hitch wasn't as low as it could have been and I didn't have any front weights on the 4020. In the sticky Okoboji soils I had troubles keeping the front wheels on the ground. One pass when they rose 6 feet I pushed in the clutch and lifted the plow out of the ground and drove back to the shed. I added some front wheel weighs that I had, and took off the front bottom. The AC hitch was adjustable enough to move the plow to the right 18 inches and I lowered the hitch pins. Then I went back to plowing and plowed in 5th gear at about 5.5 mph. Some years later I quit plowing going notill but the plow is still sitting as 3x18. 3/4 the plow width and 5/3 the ground speed I got more ground plowed per hour with the 3x18 and the front wheels stayed on the ground. 392 bottoms. At 5.5 mph the moldboard tosses the dirt over so hard that every where but damp Okoboji soil it crumbles and nearly self levels reducing the need for further disking for field leveling.

Gerald J.
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 2:25pm
Get a 4-16 ...If it pulls in just fine, go up a gear
JakeWI View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JakeWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 3:12pm
My uncle ran a monoframe 4-18 with his 200 seemed to be a good match.  Full weight rack and fluid filled tires.
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 9:14pm
     Good post guys. We pull 4/14 with the WD 45 at 7". Never thought about going deeper until now. Going to have to do it now .   Duane
Dad always said," If you have one boy, you have a man. If you have two boys, you have two boys". "ALLIS EXPRESS"
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 11:12am
 Something just don't sound right to me. We plow with a 5-14's behind a "D-17" which is a 55hp tractor. I would think that a 100hp tractor would be able to pull between 6-7 bottoms.
 Ted Buisker pulled a 4-14 pull behind a "WD-45" in gumbo. It's so hard to plow he had to disconnect the traction booster as it was lifting the whole plow out of the ground.
 For those of you that have not had the grand experience of gumbo, it is far tougher then any clay. The plow share can't cut though it at all it just rips it apart and the furrow looks like you took a piece of rubber and ripped it apart.

Below is a list of the recommended tractor and plow size from Allis-Chalmers.
Please note that the plows listed are the 9000 series plows which were made for deep high speed plowing. Plowing depth of 10" + and a plowing speed of 5mph or more.

D-21   7-16
190XT  5-16
200  5-16
 If earlier series plows are used ( 50, 60, 70 or 80 ) add 2 bottoms. The earlier series plows were made to plow shallower and slower.  Plowing depth is half the moldboard width, so a 14" bottom would have a cutting depth of 7".  The plowing speed would be around 3.5 mph.
 I think the only real way to find out what size plow you can pull with your 200 on your ground is to invite everyone with a 200 to bring there tractor and plow to a plow day.

Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 12:11pm
Butch said it best....
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 12:22pm
My plow came from an auction with a 200. 5-16s 9000 series. Round here the 200 will handle it but I prefer the 7040 plus on it. There was a post on here years ago with a 175 pulling 6 or 7-16s and moving with it.

Edited by Dans 7080 - 04 Mar 2017 at 12:25pm
When someone tells you Nothings Impossible, Tell them to slam a revolving door
Craig/insoh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig/insoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 1:53pm
Our 190XT came with a 5x14 9000 series plow! Tires loaded on rear only a starter weight on front! In yellow orange clay it would get light in the front end but never ever run out of power! Have 6x18 548 spring reset White pull behind 7050 it don't even know the plow is back there! Dad has one field that has large rocks in it I have seen 3 bottoms broke back at one time and never changed RPM!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 2:04pm
This is a very interesting thread. My plowing experience is just about "0". No one around here has done any plowing for years. I sure would like to do some "recreational plowing some time." I have a few plows. Guess I'll just have to make some time to go play with them some time. Darrel
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 2:08pm
We pulled 6-18s for years with our 7060...We still moldboard every other year...We have a White 7-18s and a White 8-18s we pull with Versatile 850s...We retires the 7060 from hard duty
Tractor305 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tractor305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:19pm
Hi Shawn
We are the Wampum pa area, I think we will get a 4x16 or 4x 18 plow
Jeff
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tractor305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:27pm
Thanks Everyone 
We probably get 4 bottom and if goes well try a 5 bottom next year. I did see a Jd 5x14 might try that one
Jeff the new AC guy
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:38pm
4-18s will pull as hard if not harder than 5-16s...I always like a 16 inch plow in the spring and 18s for clearance in the fall
Bob J Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob J Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 11:45am
Here is a picture of our 200 with an AC 80 series??
3-18's plow. No fluid in tires and if I set it to low
it will stop the 200 in its tracks. I would not go any
larger that 4-18's in heavy soil. Our soil is a heavy
clay loam
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tractor305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 5:54pm
Thanks for the pic 4x16 sounds good to me.
Jeff  
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 6:36pm
My buddy pulls an Oliver 545 5-14 with his 200 here in ILL. gumbo and gets along fine with it.----Don't know what gear he runs in,---didn't ask! thanks; ac fleet
wheatbreeder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheatbreeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 6:43pm
Bob if the 200 had tire or weight you would know a big difference I have a 8050 rear tires not load or weights it  doesn't pull the same as it was with the tires loaded 
I took the fluid out of the tires because I am only using 15 ft cultivator and disc   
Farm stuff 8050,6690,175,F2,5050,WD
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 7:47am
Originally posted by DennisA (IL) DennisA (IL) wrote:

Something just don't sound right to me. We plow with a 5-14's behind a "D-17" which is a 55hp tractor. I would think that a 100hp tractor would be able to pull between 6-7 bottoms.
 Ted Buisker pulled a 4-14 pull behind a "WD-45" in gumbo. It's so hard to plow he had to disconnect the traction booster as it was lifting the whole plow out of the ground.
 For those of you that have not had the grand experience of gumbo, it is far tougher then any clay. The plow share can't cut though it at all it just rips it apart and the furrow looks like you took a piece of rubber and ripped it apart.

Below is a list of the recommended tractor and plow size from Allis-Chalmers.
Please note that the plows listed are the 9000 series plows which were made for deep high speed plowing. Plowing depth of 10" + and a plowing speed of 5mph or more.

D-21   7-16
190XT  5-16
200  5-16
 If earlier series plows are used ( 50, 60, 70 or 80 ) add 2 bottoms. The earlier series plows were made to plow shallower and slower.  Plowing depth is half the moldboard width, so a 14" bottom would have a cutting depth of 7".  The plowing speed would be around 3.5 mph.
 I think the only real way to find out what size plow you can pull with your 200 on your ground is to invite everyone with a 200 to bring there tractor and plow to a plow day.

I hear you! Soon as you start doing ratios and logic with horsepower and plow size, seems you always get into a land of confusion.

These guys talking about plowing 10+ inches with a 14" bottom.....how in the heck can you do that?! Any plow I've used when set much over 1/2 width as depth will just sideways and not roll the dirt over, especially any sod at all, it will flip it up on "side" but not turn over.

Used to pull 4-16's semi mounted all day long with ~70 hp tractor. Got a AC 7045 so I bought 6 bottoms. It's all I can do to plow with it when things perfect. One thing for sure, a plow ain't a plow and soil ain't soil.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:10am
Anyone that wants to brag on their tractor's ability to pull a bunch of plows I have a couple
Piedmont Red Clay fields I'll turn them a loose in and watch the spinning begin....if they got enough power to turn over the wheels(LOL).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic