This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Started one more WD45 diesel engine overhaul

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Started one more WD45 diesel engine overhaul
    Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:01am
Here's the starting of one more engine rebuild. It will be fun again. This job will be a lot more than just the engine refit, it's refitting most of the hole tractor, front to back top to bottom. Here's a shot or two of the start with more to come.

3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:06am
Don,
Nice clean block. What are the bolts and washers for? Will be following your work on this build. Looks like it was line bored?
Happy Thanksgiving!
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:28am
Will you paint the block with primer inside and out?
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:46am
Bolts and washers are to keep sleeves from fallin out
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:47am
Don just be carefull of those front and rear main seals cuz they can be tricky if you don't do it right. Stern Smile I can tell you all the wrong ways myself. Big smile
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 12:07pm
Those bolts and washers are also so he can accurately measure sleeve protrusion.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 2:56pm
Don that block looks pretty much trashed, I would be happy to pay the freight to take it off your hands???  LOL  I talented guy like you needs to start with something in much better shape!!!  Wink
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:34pm
Thanks for the function of the bolts, makes good sense.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:34pm
Chris, the guys are right, I bolt the sleeves down tight so I can get a true reading on sleeve protrusion.  The block is primed and painted now. Stan I'm working on a Diesel not the 201/226 gasers. lol Anthony, This block has been welded,line bored, decked and counter bores cut and some-more little goody's done to it, yes it might have been cheaper to replace it, so I'll bet the owner might not like me letting it go now. lol
 I set the crankshaft in today and installed the pistons to get a number to mill the pistons off so they will be back to spec again after all the mill work it's had done to it.
I will post some more shots next time I get back in the shop. 
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:55pm
(Sssshhhh... Don's cheating- He bought the factory and is making new blocks on the sly....)
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 10:32pm
Hey Don, I see you have the oil fill tube out. What do you use to re set them?
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Brian Jasper co. Ia Brian Jasper co. Ia wrote:

Hey Don, I see you have the oil fill tube out. What do you use to re set them?

I use a exhaust pipe ex-pander and red lock-tight, let it set for two or three hours and it will not move.

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

(Sssshhhh... Don's cheating- He bought the factory and is making new blocks on the sly....)

I wish I had a truck load of new blocks in the back room. lol

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 1:44pm
I loaded some more shots of work as it's been done. If you look at the dial the piston is a little to high so I will cut the pistons down to the right height before installing the head. I check all six pistons and cut them to the same installed height.

Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 2:00pm
Don, that is neat to see. I can't wait to see my D19D getting the top notch treatment!
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 2:27pm
Don what causes the pistons to be too tall?  Is it because the block has been resurfaced and is lower now?  Love the pictures!
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 3:44pm
Those pistons are short compared to what was in my D17D before I overhauled it. They were all about .060 proud. The used head gasket measured about .045...
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

Don what causes the pistons to be too tall?  Is it because the block has been resurfaced and is lower now?  Love the pictures!

It's a little hard to tell all that makes up the need to have the pistons come up above the block, the shortest way to say it is to get the compression up to the 15+ to 1 needed to fire the fuel off they needed pistons coming right up close to the head and with the fact this block design started life out as a gas engine to get the compression  right and keep the stroke the same in the block pistons will be up and out of the blocks. If you look at a 230 head sometime you will see the big chamber in the head that will take away compression. Well that's clear as mud. lol

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 7:47am

Those pistons are short compared to what was in my D17D before I overhauled it. They were all about .060 proud. The used head gasket measured about .045...

Brian call me sometime and we can go over what I'm doing. lol

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 11:02am
Thanks Don for the lesson.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 6:39pm

This might shed some light on piston spec for WD45 Diesel.
They are diff from the D17/D19 Diesels.

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

Thanks Don for the lesson.

I don't think I can be much of a teacher, but I hope it made some cents. lol

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

Brian call me sometime and we can go over what I'm doing. lol
Yeah I found I had piston to head clearance issues when I pulled the head way back then. All of them were hitting the head. All of my wrist pin bushings had a nice groove worn in them too so I can only guess what it was to start with. I'll have to see if I can still find my notes, but I want to say with the replacement block I ended up with .018 above the deck. It always seemed to have more diesel knock than any others I had seen, but with the pistons hitting the head, that came as no surprise.
It's even better now that I had the pump and injectors done. I didn't realize just how bad it had been getting. Idles smooth as glass now with less smoke too.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 1:24pm
I wish I had the tooling to measure the deck height of that original block. My guess is it was surfaced multiple times.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 3:26pm
Brian, I can't imagine you could even turn it over if it was hitting that bad.
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 5:02pm
The wrist pin bushings all had a groove worn on the side closest to the crank and the rod bearings were peeling on the upper halves. I don't know much of the history on this tractor, but it looked like a fresh overhaul that sat for a long time afterwards. The guy I got it from said he got it at a consignment sale. It was supposed to run, but sold as not running. Somebody was supposedly going to restore it but lost interest and they thought it had set in a barn 15 years without being run was what was said at the sale. I have the shifter assy off the trans right now and the trans gears on top have rust on them. Trying to decide if I should work a deal with Rick Corder for the trans he has...
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 2:13pm
I had some time to work on this tractor so here's some new shots, inj pump is on and timed, pistons and crank are in, oil filter units are in and plumed, rear engine mounting plate is on. I started working the oil pan over so it's strait again, I changed to oil pump out will a good used from stock. The head will still need so more work before I install it, as the oil pan. "O" the fun if rebuilding a 230.lol 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 9:14pm
Don, that sure is looking mighty fine. I may just have to go back and look at Tom Foss' rebuild of his 45 Diesel. Make sure to take a ton of pics when you do the D19!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 6:32pm
Don,
 Looks fantastic! Someday I need to do a Allis engine. You sure do make it look easy!
Thanks for posting the nice clear pictures of your work as you progress.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Dec 2015 at 8:04pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 12:38pm
Looking good Don. Was someone using an electric lift pump on that engine?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic