Print Page | Close Window

82S sickle bar

Printed From: Unofficial Allis
Category: Allis Chalmers
Forum Name: Farm Equipment
Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=211471
Printed Date: 08 Oct 2026 at 5:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: 82S sickle bar
Posted By: Don Jr NY
Subject: 82S sickle bar
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2026 at 5:08am
We have an 82S mower mounted on a D-17 we use to mow under pasture fences. My dad was using it yesterday and it snapped the bar by the last two rivets where it connects to the head. Does anyone know if a new complete bar is available anywhere? I know this isn't the classifieds, but posts seem to get less spa here. Any info appreciated.  Don Jr. 



Replies:
Posted By: PaulB
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2026 at 5:40am
I think "Sickle Service" used to have new complete 7' knives available. Check them.

-------------
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY


Posted By: im4racin
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2026 at 6:00am
What head?  I don’t think anyone has a complete sickle for sale anymore 


Posted By: Gary Burnett
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2026 at 6:42am
Webb's sickle Service supplies the AC complete sickle assemblies with a lot better head on them than original.For just a head I have a pile of old sickle assemblies lying around.But you'd be way ahead buyng a new complete assembly


Posted By: DanielW
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2026 at 7:28am
Just to clarify, did you snap the knife (some places call this the 'sickle assembly' or just 'sickle'), or snap the 'bar'? The knife is what moves back and forth with all the sections rivetted to it. The bar is the heavy piece the  knife slides in that has all the guards bolted to it. The knife back (the flat bar with the rivet holes on it that's part of the knife) sounds like what snapped. Not uncommon, and certainly not impossible to weld. They generally break at a rivet hole. Ideally you have a donor bar or make a new knife back from a piece of good flat bar the right size and drill the rivet holes accordingly, such that you can make the weld between rivet holes.

That being said if Webb still offers new knife assemblies, I'd just get a complete new one. A new knife works wonders - especially when paired with new ledgers on the guards.

If you snapped the bar, that's a bigger problem Only think you could do there is have a new one made. Years ago on one of our All-Crop combines I had a new bar made. I drew it up in CAD and had it cut out of AR450 (abrasion-resistant, ultra-high-yield) plate at work. I made the guard holes and hold-down spacing to match the IH rather than Allis profiles, such that I could convert the whole thing to the more common IH-style bar/knife.


Posted By: Gary Burnett
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2026 at 7:39am
The AC rivet spacings are the same as the ones on the Ford and pretty sure the same as the old Gleaner combines so no problem finding them.webb also supplies a little heavier bar too but regardless play in the Twin Wheel Drive is what cause most sickles to break with AC mowers.


Posted By: Ray54
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2026 at 10:52am
They can be welded. I have done several all lasted good. I am not a professional welder, but 7018 rod helped.

My uncle came up with the idea of putting the broken piece out on the outer end of the knife. So it is easier to have another old knife to take apiece off of. Driving only 3 or 4 sections takes much less power than driving the whole thing. So a bit more work moving the head to a new place.



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net