This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6060 power steering problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefiam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6060 power steering problem
    Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:38pm
6060 power steering.
replaced the hand pump. but still does the same thing when i try to turn i have to keep on turning the steering wheel to make a easy turn. stumped! all help would be appreciated.

thanks, chef
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 6:20am
In 45 plus years, I have never changed out a steering orbitrol on any AC tractor. Rebuild your steering cylinder.

Edited by DrAllis - 11 Jun 2021 at 6:21am
chefiam1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefiam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 6:30am
thanks i will look into  cylinder rebuild
                 chef
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:45am
Yep, cylinder is leaking past the piston. On my little utility tractor, I noticed if you drove very far in a straight line, you had to keep turning the steering wheel to the left to keep going straight. Put a kit in the steering cylinder and all is well.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 9:58am
That may be true on some tractors and not true on others. In the case of a 170-175-180-185-190-200-7000 etc, etc   one end of the steering cylinder has more volume than the other, so when constantly turning the steering wheel back and forth (field use) the steering wheel usually gains to the clockwise. Nothing wrong. Just the way it is. Some tractors have a balanced system where the steer wheel might stay the same most of the time. Again, nothing to worry about as long as it drives well and turns well.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

That may be true on some tractors and not true on others. In the case of a 170-175-180-185-190-200-7000 etc, etc   one end of the steering cylinder has more volume than the other, so when constantly turning the steering wheel back and forth (field use) the steering wheel usually gains to the clockwise. Nothing wrong. Just the way it is. Some tractors have a balanced system where the steer wheel might stay the same most of the time. Again, nothing to worry about as long as it drives well and turns well.

I used to work for a guy that had a 170 diesel. if you drove straight down a road for a mile, you had to turn the wheel to the left nearly a full turn. I believe that was the same problem, oil leaking by the piston.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 10:56pm
had weird stuff going on with 6080 like that. Had steering cylinder seals done and fixed it
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 5:59am
Normal. Unequal displacement between each end of the cylinder.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic