This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traction boostr learning curve, WD45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traction boostr learning curve, WD45
    Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 7:22pm
Had opportunity this fall to spend a few hours on the 45's. Trying to learn the subtleties of the TB system. Got things working pretty good while plowing. Then while running the narrow front with the sub-soiler I noticed that the 'plow' setting would lift the soiler up. Had to run almost all the way down on the quadrant, not quite but close. Not as many square inchs I guess. Went as far as taking the working gauge off the CA and putting it on the 45 so I could study whats happening.

Last plow day I attended I didn't even have to 'engage' the traction booster! Leave the lever all the way down and it would still transfer weight, at least according to the gauge. This kind of blew my mind.  
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 7:45pm
There are shims to remove on the coil spring retainer to tighten it up a little. This will force you to move the lever up from the bottom a little to turn on the TBoost system. You wouldn't think after 70 years the spring wouldn't have flattened out, but it does.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 8:01pm
Best experience I ever had with TB is my 8030 a previous owner bypassed it.  Worst idea ever on a Allis product. 
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 8:07pm
The Traction Booster system has to be adjusted properly to work properly. Too bad that wasn't the case on your tractor. They do work well when set-up correctly by the selling/servicing Dealer.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 10:57pm
TB's are the cat meow when done right. The 220 was not as good as the 45 but did improve as HP was increased.That sudden clay patch would snuff it before the booster could get it lifted. Haven't had a reason to use it on the 8070. As Doc says you need to tighten up the Big spring. Shouldn't really be able to activate it with lever down.After I put 4-16's behind the 45 it wouldn't stay in the ground until I removed 2 shims per side.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 1:09am
I don't have a gauge on my WD but I found that lifting the lever about 1/8 makes it engage. I seem to recall seeing an old promotional video that this was the mechanism to engage it, anyway?
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 1:41am
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Best experience I ever had with TB is my 8030 a previous owner bypassed it.  Worst idea ever on a Allis product. 

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

LOL!!!!!!!!!. Yeah, who knows what those silly engineers must have been thinking to come up with this silly draft control system that allowed tractors like the WD45 to keep up with or even outwork other machines that weighed significantly more and/or also were running much larger CID engines and also do so more economically at the same time. Geez, thank goodness that all the other manufacturers didn't line up and chomp at the bit so to speak to copy this idea of load sensing hydraulics ASAP and carry it right up into present day machines. What a nightmare that would have been!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 5:17am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

TB's are the cat meow when done right. The 220 was not as good as the 45 but did improve as HP was increased.That sudden clay patch would snuff it before the booster could get it lifted. Haven't had a reason to use it on the 8070. As Doc says you need to tighten up the Big spring. Shouldn't really be able to activate it with lever down.After I put 4-16's behind the 45 it wouldn't stay in the ground until I removed 2 shims per side.

Steve/Doc, I'll have a look at this. I have an NOS bell/latch I want to install on this tractor someday.
That day is the only time I've had the booster engage with the lever down. That dirt was TOUGH! Front wheels were in the air a lot.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 5:59am
When the going is that tough, front end weights are needed so the Traction Booster can work effectively. You can't have the front end come up when the plows weight is to be transferred to the rear wheels.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:21am
Uncles One Seventy had this working good when plowing - best idea Ac had over the compition, worked real slick
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:36am
I bet the TB sold a whole bunch of WD-45s!
Imagine when the dealer came out to the farm with a properly set up TB and started demonstrating how that WD-45 could out plow all those bigger tractors.
The look on those farmers' faces must have been priceless!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:56am
Hey -- I think I found a video of the traction booster setting in an old promo video!

[TUBE]HzxLw3SIcLw[/TUBE]

The discussion on using the plow weight to gain traction starts at 5:10 in the video...
He sets the hydraulic lever to a "thumb" up from the bottom at 5:39 in the video to "engage" it...

Here's some video of me plowing using the TB on my '53 WD. It pulled me thru some tough spots, especially that last run at the end of the video. Set it about a "thumb" up on the lever and away we go.

[TUBE]7UWWKaa9rng[/TUBE]

As far as I can tell, it is a great feature. Just took me awhile to get the hang of it, especially since I don't have a gauge.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

When the going is that tough, front end weights are needed so the Traction Booster can work effectively. You can't have the front end come up when the plows weight is to be transferred to the rear wheels.

It has four stack weights on it now!!

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:35pm
But, with some shims removed to put more tension on the coil spring you won't have that trouble. Sounds like the TBoost was turned on too much causing you the trouble.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by LionelinKY LionelinKY wrote:

Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

LOL!!!!!!!!!. Yeah, who knows what those silly engineers must have been thinking to come up with this silly draft control system that allowed tractors like the WD45 to keep up with or even outwork other machines that weighed significantly more and/or also were running much larger CID engines and also do so more economically at the same time. Geez, thank goodness that all the other manufacturers didn't line up and chomp at the bit so to speak to copy this idea of load sensing hydraulics ASAP and carry it right up into present day machines. What a nightmare that would have been!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silly me for thinking it would be nice to have full range of my lift arms with the use of only one lever.  What a crazy idea to have an implement stay at the depth I want it at until I make a adjustment.   Crazy idea to expect the person behind the wheel to be competent enough to raise or lower the implement.  You know I’m out with the disc or soil saver or finisher and tractor lugs or slows down hmmm what do I do ohh that’s right raise it up a touch then once that tough spots passes then lower it. Crazy concepts. Ohh I love the days of planting beans with a 2 point hitch ground driven planter with no monitor behind the 7000 and once the beans come up and see a skip hmm why the cussed TB felt the need to raise the arms grrrrrr
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:51pm
8000 series had an adjustable stop on the 3-point lever for depth and leave the TBoost lever SHUT OFF !!   Same goes for the 7000 tractor.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:59pm
Garden_guy, at the 3:35 mark in that video I learned what that slot was really for on the back step.  I'd heard many different things but never seen one used.
Maximum use of available resources!
old school allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old school allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:08pm
100 hundred series and d17 series 4 were the same to i think. were you set max depth, traction booster, and there is one lever that raises and lowers the three point 
1957 d14,1963 d17 series 3,1963 d15 series 2,ca,c, 2 b 10's,and a big ten
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

Garden_guy, at the 3:35 mark in that video I learned what that slot was really for on the back step.  I'd heard many different things but never seen one used.

Indeed. I don't know that I've ever seen that hook in person.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 3:14pm
Today I had a look at the situation. There were six shims in there. Not sure how many they came with. Anyway, shims are 1/16" apiece. Took out two. Now I just need a chance to get the plow in the ground and see how things work.

Thanks for all the help, Mike.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

That "slot" was there to hook a PTO guard up to. It just came in handy when someone decided it could be used for something else.Wink
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by garden_guy garden_guy wrote:

I don't have a gauge on my WD but I found that lifting the lever about 1/8 makes it engage. I seem to recall seeing an old promotional video that this was the mechanism to engage it, anyway?

The WD's and early CA's never had a gauge. TB works fine without it if it's set right.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:39am
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Originally posted by garden_guy garden_guy wrote:

The WD's and early CA's never had a gauge. TB works fine without it if it's set right.

The gauge is interesting to watch in the field. It did help me dial in the No. 4 sub-soiler. Took the working one off my CA where all it ever showed was up or down.
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 2:19am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

It has four stack weights on it now!!

The 3-16 SC plow that Dad had for this made her work. I only plowed up his garden spot once the first time at his new house in town. She seemed to hold her own pretty good when plowing though I did feel the front get a little light at the end of the furrow when I first hit the lever to raise the plow up. The XT was the main plow tractor by the time I was old enough to do so thus I never got any field experience plowing with the WD45 myself. Dad did though with this and the WD which I also still have. He always said that the 45 was nicer to plow with obviously because of her extra power allowing her to run a gear faster even if it meant the front getting a little light whenever she hit a good patch of clay. That being said, he also always gave kudos to the old narrow front WD which would pull that same plow, albeit a gear lower, but he never had as many issues with her front end coming up. The WD has no front stack weights at all but does have a pair of front wheel weights the same as is shown here on the 45.

"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 11:05pm
You know, it's interesting that JD didn't steal this idea too.  They stole so many others.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 6:32am
They eventually did, as did IH and all the others. As soon as patent rights ran out, everyone had some form of a weight transfer system, be it hydraulic or like in IH's early try, a mechanical hitch that lifted the plow the harder it pulled.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:14am
Resurrecting this old thread now that I've had a chance to do some plowing.

As stated in a previous post, I removed two shims. This seems to have cured the problem. Depending on conditions the 'setting' varies a bit. Watching the gauge lets you really dial the setting in.

I always plow in second gear as that's about the right speed. Tried third yesterday, pulled it fine but just don't need to go that fast! With the 16.9X28's she moves right along in second anyway.

The ground I've been in this fall seems a little easier than last year. Maybe due to timely rain? I have been using the 73 slat bottom vs the 63 model I used last year. Really like the 73 but is HEAVY for the 45. Thinking I may remove the stack weights and try 5 or 6 hundred pound suitcase weights!

There is another plow-day next Saturday, actually three I think. The one is close enough I'm going to drive the 756 with semi-mount Oliver to that one. That's if it is dry enough. We'll see how the 'Draft control' on the Red machine compares to the 'Traction Booster'. Should probably try to limber it up a bit as I havn't used it yet and this poor old girl sat outside with a stuck engine for years before I bought it.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:53am
I always thought the TB on the 45’s are one of its best features. I may be wrong here, but also thought it worked a little better than on the D series. Seemed like on the 19, it was never fast enough when hitting a wet spot.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 10:33am
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

I always thought the TB on the 45’s are one of its best features. I may be wrong here, but also thought it worked a little better than on the D series. Seemed like on the 19, it was never fast enough when hitting a wet spot.

That may well be. WD45 is the only one I have experience with. Sold my D-17 so I can't try that out. If I ever get the belly mower off the CA I hope to try it with a 62 plow I have in the waiting.

Edit; I could try that Oliver plow on the 185, just need more plow-days!

Edited by IBWD MIke - 24 Oct 2021 at 10:35am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 11:31am
I've only ran one D-17 pre-series 4 using the Traction Booster system, while pulling a fully mounted 4 x 14's 73 series plow. The D-17 series 3 was by far superior to any WD45 I've run. For one thing, with the TBoost lever pre-set, every time you made a turn on the headland and dropped the plow in the ground, there was no fiddling around getting it set to work. It was ready to go to work as soon as the load hit it. The ability to control the drop rate while using the TBoost is also a huge plus in performance over the WD-45.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic