This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Girls are headed for a working vacation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Girls are headed for a working vacation
    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 7:24pm
This is the first time in 25 years there hasn't been a live beehive in the front yard. The girls are headed for the almond Groves in Southern California. Dropped a truck load of them off this afternoon. Combining them with several other guys on the semi truck.
This will be the second or third this guy has taken out this fall.   They are on a semi gonna leave at 1st light tomorrow. Wound up with 50 hives on the truck. Don't know how many #2 son added to the load. Maybe another 20 or so.
Sponsored Links

allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 7:23pm
Wow! who will take care of them in California? Good luck!
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:19pm
The guy transportating them has 5000 hives. He needed more hives to finish out his last load. He has a broker that leases them to the almond growers. He and his wife will head out right after Christmas and sorta look after them. He gets a lot of money for leasing them to the growers. That money pays for all transportation costs + allows a little for the hive owners.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 8:52pm
Thanks Tom. I wish you good luck. I know Adam Ebert has shipped some to California.
Mike Townsley
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:49pm
neat, just bee careful.....
gotta ask NO bees in California ? Did the greenies ban them too ??
crazy you have to import bees....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

neat, just bee careful.....
gotta ask NO bees in California ? Did the greenies ban them too ??
crazy you have to import bees....
Wink California Land of Fruits and Nuts LOLLOLLOL You need bees to pollinate most fruits and nuts. Almonds being one crop all pollination is by bees. They have just released some new varieties that "self" pollinate but are not proven yet. Almonds are usually the first of the tree crops to start blooming and one that needs bees the most.

Over a million acres of almonds in Calif. Two hives per acre minimum to pollinate almonds. If you can afford it more bees is better. I have seen almonds start to bloom in early Jan all the way to March. Sometime in Feb is considered normal. The bloom lasts about 2 weeks. If we get a cold and or rainy spell in that bloom you are far better with more bees. Wink A bee has visited each bloom to make each one of those nuts you munch. LOL

As large as the state is the almond growing area is 3 to 400 miles north to south and some bees can be used in the south and again in the north. But if the whole years profit depends on a bee, you sleep much better if the hive is sitting in the orchard awaiting the bloom than seeing buds develop and no bees yet.

Not being in the business I don't know the current price but I think it could be getting close to $300 per hive to rent bees for the almond pollination.  But the almond grower wants heathy active bees. So a good bee keeper does the best to make sure the bees are taken care of. Almond acres are still growing as well. I have seen a number but not remembering it,  but a very large % of all bees in the USA end up in Calif for the almond pollinating.

Edited by Ray54 - 22 Nov 2020 at 1:58pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:02pm
I didn't know Adam and Phil shipped bees. It make sense though. Last I knew they had between 900 and 1500 hives. With no state fair this year, I havn't spoken to either of them for a year. We do get all our plastic bears/bottles from them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic