This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non stick skillet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non stick skillet
    Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 5:13pm
Is there really such a thing?  Tried the latest copper job and it is always sticking now after a few weeks.  what's next.  Confused
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 5:22pm
Properly seasoned cast iron and no soap.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 5:30pm
Agreed. Cept my accountant won't use em. Have resorted to cooking spray
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 5:31pm
dittos!  Also properly seasoned carbon steel fry pans   I use both,  but resort to the lighter carbon steel.  If you buy one get a good one,  
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 9:03am
I have and use cast iron all the time but the wife uses T-fal and quite honestly I'm ok with that.  I even buy them for her so she won't use my good stuff, the problem is, an 8" skillet will cost $39 just like the 14".  My wife has ruined a bunch of teflon coated pans with metal spoons!
Maximum use of available resources!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 9:47am
Cast iron properly seasoned and properly cared for. Do NOT use any soap for cleaning. It will last for many generations. I use frying pans that belonged to my Grandmother and they will got to my daughter or granddaughter when I can no longer use them. Cleaning up a waffle iron now that will soon be back in service. Get the USA made cast iron not cheap import stuff.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 10:35am
I do and will continue to prefer Cast, wife wanted SS so we bought her a set, instructions were Cold pan, bring to temp to cook, add oil and cover bottom of pan then cook as expect.  No real sticking when do that HOWEVER if does stick requires scrubbing.  Cast I use has a Deep Hard BLACK Carbon layer, and similarly by a Old Chinese Cook on TV, "Pan is Hot Oil is Not Food No Stick" .  I always use Cast when can, will use the stainless stuff if have to and DO NOT WILL NOT trust any man made non-stick compounds not getting in food from a heated pan.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 3:24pm
Cast iron here!! --- I dont trust any non-stick coating on anything---there is no such thing as "non-stick" as far as I know. We do have a few heavy stainless steel pans/skillets and yes they do stick.
Seasoned and proper cared for cast will out do everything else on the market.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 6:32pm
My wife bought a couple of fry pans that look like the old fashioned enameled cooking pots and pans.  Put a little oil in it and it is non stick.  I was talking with one of my docs and somehow got around to cooking.  I said I used the spray on stuff and she was really glad to hear that.  Apparently it's the healthiest thing to use.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 7:29pm
Spray is generally Canola based.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 7:47pm
This thread reminds me of the bear asking the rabbit, does sh!t stick to yer fur?...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:39am
Well shoot, I should have asked that cast iron being taken out of the equation.

IT has my vote also, but sadly we just "can't have one of those black ugly things setting around in the kitchen".  Wink

Guess I will have to stick (get it) with my purchase of Pam at Sam's club.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:15am
Sorry bub, it happens!!Confused
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 10:19am
I use cast iron but I also have an ogreenic as seen on TV. It works great you do have to bake it with oil to season it like you would a cast iron pan. As long as you just wipe it out when hot you won't have a sticking problem I still us a lite spritz of Pam in it. When the green finally dis colors was with hot water and reseaon it'll be fine again until your wife decides it must go it the dishwasher then all bets are off. The surface holds up much better than any othernotstick I've tryed. But blue diamond worked as well till it was left on a fire hotenought to warp the pan with nothing in it. The coating stayed on but the bottom is now rounded like a wok.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:35pm
i also use cast iron when i can, but i do have an SS pot with glass lid i use when i just do simmering (like my beans). put/use it on the grill, i use canola/olive oil in it. it wipes clean everytime with paper towels after each use. i do wash it with water later before putting it away.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:36pm
oh...i bought one of them non stick...as seen on TV once. 2nd or 3rd instruction on it was use any cooking oil so food wouldn't stick! LOL
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 11:13am
I have one of the ceramic flat top electric cook surfaces.   Do any of you have one that use cast iron on?   I was always told not to use cast iron on them, not sure why other than possibly the bottoms arent as flat, and possibly that it could scratch?   Any thoughts?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:29pm
i have a flat cast iron cooktop that we take camping, can be used on the campsite grill, or the gas grill we take with. we very seldom even use our house stove anymore, most all the cooking is done outside or in the cook shack. we might heat some water for fake hot apple cider now and then. 
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 5:20am
When we remodeled the kitchen I bought Jenny a new gas stove with a cast iron griddle in the middle. It works awesome now that it’s seasoned.
She just recently bought a couple new sauce pans from pampered chef. We’ll see how those do. They sure are heavy.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 6:46am
Hired a professional cook once for my daughter's wedding.......he brought his own pans with him. Non stick skillets. He got them at Sam's club, commercial kitchen section. I've been doing the same and they are as good as any, and not all that expensive.

There must be something in their genetics.....women insist on using metal to damage non-stick pans. If that were reversed and that was me dragging a fork across a non-stick, I'd get hit with the pan. But reversed.......oh shut up......it doesn't matter.

I also have two cast iron skillets that get used for special projects......I allow her to use em, but not clean em. I do that. I got both of them from my grandmother.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:31am
Cast iron, yes I know you stated to have it taken out but hey... but according to the history of stainless steel kitchen ware, the public's instant infatuation with "clean" looking, even "rich-looking" silver-like lightweight cookware QUICKLY evaporated when it came time to CLEAN so-called "stainless" steel. Rapid developments in non-stick formulae, cross-applications of other technologies (teflon, et al) began in earnest to keep the public in love with stainless. Alas, the only "cure" even today is to return to our first love lol! 
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 12:55pm
Greg,  I was told do not use any pot or pan that has a ridge on the bottom on them new fangled creamic stove tops because the ridge holds the heat under the pan so much that the top of the stove will be damaged.  Sounds good,  I guess.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 3:08pm
any 'nonstick' skillet will work fine IF you do NOT use metal utensils in it !!!! 'PLASTIC' only has to be used....

arrgh.... i could easily have bought 2 more D-14s with the money WASTED buying yet more 'nonstick' skillets....sigh

I still like my cast iron one though, my late friend Rudy 'seasoned' it 40 years ago, still GREAT today, well, when, er, IF, it gets used....
oh well....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic