This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Running/Marker Light ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running/Marker Light ?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 6:21pm
Where are the "upper" marker lights supposed to be located on a P/U? I thought it was 5 lights on the leading edge of the cab, but Ford has 3 mounted on the upper grill of their "odd looking" Raptor that I've been seeing more and more of recentlyUnhappy.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 6:49pm
Should be highest facing edge of the factory built cab, Added bodies as sleepers and campers have their own.  Raptor Lamps NOT for Marker just architectural enhancements.

Figure 2 - Straight Truck Illustration for § 393.11

Edited by DMiller - 16 Oct 2020 at 6:51pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 7:13pm
Not sure if cab marker lights are mandatory on pick ups?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 7:25pm
Marker lights are required on vehicles 90" or wider. Those Frog trucks can do what ever they like. Oooooh Shiny Exclamation The factories have gone to adding glitz and gimmicks to run the price up. 50 years ago you could get a fully outfitted 3/4 to that could actually last a few years and WORK for about $4,000 or less.  Nowadays  these things are full of plastic and computer controlled crap that is bound to break down before you can pay them off.

Edited by PaulB - 18 Oct 2020 at 4:32pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:44pm
That's the problem, Ford put the yellow lights on the grill, why would they do that ?? I thought I was meeting a "tri-cycle" the other morning in the dark Wink
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:49pm
Was it a factory option, or something the owner did as a DIY?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:58pm
I've seen several Raptors (becoming more and more of them) with the same "marker lights" on the top of the grill.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:06pm
They are not "Marker Lamps"  They are Ford Dress out accessories.  Marker lamps go ON THE CAB.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:10pm
Why are they YELLOW??? To me that's a MARKER LIGHT ??!!
If they aren't "marker" lights, they should be PINK !!!!

Edited by FREEDGUY - 17 Oct 2020 at 6:12pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:56pm
Most aftermarket grills for trucks and now putting 3-4 little yellow LED lights on the top edge  below the hood.... Like DAVE said, its window dressing.. No value at all.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 7:02pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 7:06pm
It's not the "value" issue, it's legality of where/how many of them(lights) there are on this Jeep/Hummer abomination  of a "truck". I can't say for sure if they were A/M grills or not though Wink
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Is this considered "after market" ?? Yes ,that's the configuration that approached me Wink
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 7:20pm
There are a zillion of them on e-bay for sale for $200.   You can get them for ANY manufacturer of Truck... Lots of guy buy them to replace the factory CHROME grill to make a BLACK OUT..... for looks .... like the RAPTOR.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:29am
pink? someone say pink???
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:11am
any colour as long as they're not flashing red/blue..........
..though they do look silly,serve NO purpose, cept send money to China.

that being said, DRL ( Daytime running Lights) , are NOT legally required up here in Canada..somehting that was PROVEN to have saved lives...sigh...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:12am
Yes they did,, I just figured someone's slip was showing.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:31am
Nothing illegal of Amber Accessory lamps to front or Reds to Rear, Nobody cares as stated Unless Flash as Emergency Vehicle Lamps.  Can add a Hundred lamps to a machine and DOT does NOT G.A.S. unless are not working.  
~Bullboys~  With Stan Wilson and Skip Stevens. (Cattle pots)

Most of these lamps are NOT Required and yet if NOT Working can be fined for as Inoperable lighting.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:35am
No reason but bragging rights for this

This was the best truck that ever loaded out our cows
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 3:38pm
DMiller, I can appreciate ALL of the lights and "bling" on a big rig Thumbs Up, but even in your pics, there's not ONE amber light on the middle of the grill ?? They are all "high and wide" other than the under front bumper lights Embarrassed.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 3:55pm
See them In grills, around grills across grills. They mean NOTHING, just Bling.  What do you not get of that, is Just a Accessory Lamp.

ONLY required are IF NEEDED by Truck Category, two front and two rear Corner Markers and Five Cab &/or Box Markers, TWO Tail Lamps TWO Stop/TS Lamps Two Front TS Lamps and by year a Alternate THIRD Or Upper BRAKE Lamp.  PERIOD, GRILL Lamps are BS Bling.

READ:

Edited by DMiller - 18 Oct 2020 at 3:59pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 3:58pm
I have seen the light show setup as a CROSS or FACE in the center of the grill also.. Its all SHOW... SO WHAT ?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:01pm
Or like this:

Peterbilt – RoadWorks Manufacturing

Chicken lights and chrome! When you break your neck to look at this. you  know your a truckers wife | Big trucks, Peterbilt trucks, Big rig trucks
Means NADA

Edited by DMiller - 18 Oct 2020 at 4:02pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:04pm
THIS is the CFR(Code of Federal Regulations) for TRUCK Lighting, Raptors are LARGE Toys and oversize Cars.

Edited by DMiller - 18 Oct 2020 at 4:06pm
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:23pm
I had mine pretty well lite up,nothing like that but enough to where I had myself convinced it would give the OTHER 75% something to see and guide them when they tried backing in next to me.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I have seen the light show setup as a CROSS or FACE in the center of the grill also.. Its all SHOW... SO WHAT ?
Your "CROSS" or "FACE" is pretty much a solid row of lights, the 3 "individual" lights on the raptor are deceiving IMO is all Wink
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

any colour as long as they're not flashing red/blue..........
in many sates anything other than clear or amber facing forward and red or amber facing rear (except for clear lights when in reverse gear) is ILLEGAL!!! It's right there in the vehicle law book published by the states MVA.  Although for Barney Fife to do anything about is is another problemUnhappy
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic