This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plantar fasciitis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plantar fasciitis
    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:45pm
Who’s had it and how did you deal with it. Right now at work we’re building horse fence. We’re having to carry a lot of quick Crete and treated 6x6 long distance through very steep terrain and over lots of rocks n dead logs. Very rough country. Some is much too steep to stand or walk on. It’s getting to the point I can hardly keep going.
Had two quit last week. Now it’s just I and the young’en.
Sponsored Links

omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:58pm
My wife was diagnosed with it-we went to the Good Feet Store. Not sure where they have stores, we have one in Omaha. They sell shoe inserts that really helped! Not cheap-$1000-but she said they really worked!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:07pm
I have it. Pretty under control at the time being but it sure can be a bugger.

Shoe inserts help if they’re the right ones. Any chance you get, take your shoes off and roll your foot over a firm ball of some kind. A tennis ball is ok but a harder one like a lacrosse ball or dog toy is better. Probably what helped me the most was all the above plus leg stretches that especially stretch your calves. It’s all connected! And, sorry to say, you might wanna try to take a week or two off and rest it. Won’t probably ever go away entirely, but I can feel mine flaring and if I work on it right away can keep it tolerable. Good luck.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:47pm
Saw a podiatrist got inserts helped some, gave me stretch exercises for the Achilles and associated foot tendons as mine were drawstring Tight, that helped more than anything else.  GOOD Shoes, I wear New Balance lace up Walking sneakers with memory foam insoles and they work well, change them up every TWO Years regardless, and on recommendation of a Podiatrist.  If have Crocs, GET RID of them, if have that trusty old seven eight twelve year old pair of 'Familiar' shoes or boots wear everyday, GET THEM OUT OF THE HOUSE.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:38pm
I'll chime in with what some others have already said.  Once you've got it, I'm not sure it's a do it yourself remedy.  I have had a Podiatrist & physical therapy.  It's manageable now and I really don't notice it but it took a while.  One of the tricks physical therapist's use is freeze a bottle of water solid and then roll you foot back & forth on it for several minutes several times a day.  That and stretching your calf muscles trying to curl your feet forward and up & stretch as much as possible.  I even had a boot I slept with that kept my foot at a 90 degree angle and didn't let it relax.  I've had cortizone shots, not sure how much they helped.  Above all shoes/shoes/shoes.  Need arch supports or inserts as well as a cushion shoe.  Unfortunately, good shoes are pricey and I don't know who makes a good workshoe for that and may still require inserts.  Anyway, good luck and don't get pulled into any surgery.  Be patient but that's tough when you're working.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:48pm
I had it years ago . Went to a podiatrist . He would stretch my calf and wrap it up tight . Felt good until I had to remove it for a shower. He tried several hard inserts to " change the way I walked " . Did no good . I finally gave up and tincture of time fixed it . Good luck and hope you feel better soon
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:07pm

Hey Thad,,you prolly already read all you want to on the Plantar Fasciitis but this is a real interesting article,,,main basic suggestion is to get off of that leg for at least a week while doing their suggested therapy. Article states that MANY professional athletes suffer from that ailment, altho with proper rest and advise of a professional trainor,,they are able to recuperate.
 Have you considered using an ATV for transporting the material and you up those mountains,,?? If you want,,I be glad to loan you my new Polaris with dual racks frt and back,,and it 4X4 with BIG ta'ars,,??
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:20pm
An atv wouldn’t have a dream of going where this fence is. Much of it is a 52degree slope. We have to tie off and use repelling ropes to get material to the steep part. We’re nearly done with the hard part. Now it’s just walking on rocks every step with the concrete.
I’ve also been working weekends. I’ve had it before. Learned all the stretches and rolling a frozen bottle of water.
I wear Arriat work boots. They did the trick last time. I feel like a few weekends off and it will ease up.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:37pm
Sitting here with it right now. Doc said it comes from wearing cheap shoes. I been wearing cheap Walmart slip on shoes, sorta agree with him on this. He's got me taking Indomethacin 50 mg 3 times per day and he sent me next door to the shoe store for some new shoes with inserts. Inserts were $60.00 shoes were $69.00. No sneakers. Leather soles. Good luck with it.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 9:38pm
I've had it in both feet. Lasted for over 2 years. One foot healed and the within a month the other one got it. It sucks. If you stand for hours on end and then suddenly squat - that seemed to aggravate it for me. Had the Cortizone shot in both feet, helped for a few weeks and then wore off. Stopping what you are doing hourly and stretching helps for sure. Take a bath towel and hook across the top of your foot and pull towards you with both arms at night while sittng down helps too, google it. It sucks getting old.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 10:24pm
I had it a few years ago and my Doc told me to get shoe inserts, which helped quite a bit. It was probably brought on by those Crocs I used to wear around the farm!!   I've always been a barefoot hiker and the Doc told me to keep doing that but increase the mileage, so I did and it cleared up withing 3 or 4 months and never came back.  Keeps the feet strong and flexible.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:05pm
after fighting it and the terrible pain; i went to an acupuncturist.  one foot better after 1 visit, other took 3.  i would never allow any other type of treatment if i ever got it back!  Sorta like a sciatic nerve, nothing else fixes it permanently!  I'm talking about an acupuncturist, not a chiropractor, who does it once in awhile!
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 5:42am
Thad,
 I have had it. I hobbled around like a old man, wait I am a old man! Anyway, I went to doc and they gave me exercises to do.  Bare feet stand on edge of step with heel off step and raise and lower yourself with your front of foot. stretching your Achilles tendon. It was not a quick fix but helped a lot. You can also have your feet back away fro am wall and lean forward into the wall this can also stretch the tendons. Good shoes and inserts may help a lot too. 
If its that steep will horses even travel in those areas?? Good luck with your project. And let the young guy do more!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 6:02am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Thad,
 I have had it. I hobbled around like a old man, wait I am a old man! Anyway, I went to doc and they gave me exercises to do.  Bare feet stand on edge of step with heel off step and raise and lower yourself with your front of foot. stretching your Achilles tendon. It was not a quick fix but helped a lot. You can also have your feet back away fro am wall and lean forward into the wall this can also stretch the tendons. Good shoes and inserts may help a lot too. 
If its that steep will horses even travel in those areas?? Good luck with your project. And let the young guy do more!
Regards,
 Chris

Chris I don’t believe the horses will go anywhere near that steep holler. The guy wants the property line fenced because he doesn’t like the neighbor.
It’s a $100000 fence for three rescue horses.
I’ve been doing those exercises. I’m going to try to step it up a little.
I wear expensive work boots. I may have to change.
I bought tennis shoes a little while back. They made it worse and only lasted a couple weeks.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 6:26am
Thad,
 This work environment may not be helping. You may need some time to rest too. 
The stretching on the stairs helped me the most. But I wasnt building fence on the side of a mountain either. Take care.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 6:48am
Originally posted by tomNE tomNE wrote:

after fighting it and the terrible pain; i went to an acupuncturist.  one foot better after 1 visit, other took 3.  i would never allow any other type of treatment if i ever got it back!  Sorta like a sciatic nerve, nothing else fixes it permanently!  I'm talking about an acupuncturist, not a chiropractor, who does it once in awhile!

Acupuncture is interesting and amazing. I can't attest to it for this ailment, but can for "frozen shoulder". I'd been stretching and exercising and everything imaginable and my shoulder, down my arm, even the side of my hand was just a mess. Acupuncturist would start at the base of my head and stick needles all the way down to the side of my pinky. At times, she'd "complete a circuit" and my muscles would flop like a fish and bend her needles. Took about 8 weeks, better each time. Was weird, you'd feel so tired and relaxed when the session was over even though you didn't do anything. That was several years ago and no issues since!

Anyway, might give it a try Thad. Good luck.
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 6:48am
A few years ago I asked the same question.  One of the members on here private messaged me and recommended Pinnacle Powerstep insole inserts.   They are about $30-$40 depending on which ones you get.   I have them in most of my shoes now.  They were a big help..... I say help... as this tends to rear it's ugly head again from time to time, but these inserts did help.  The stretching exercises on the steps as mentioned by others is also a help.   Good luck.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:50am
my acupuncturist charges $69 a session and i'm well in 7days or under!   sounds to me like you guys are scared of needles!   When they fix planter fascitis, there is one tender spot on each foot that you will definitely feel the needle going in.    it's about 1/100'd of the pain of walking around with the planter fascitis, so i can see why you guys would avoid getting treatment!
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 8:16am
I've had it too.  I went to my local chiropractor.  Used the frozen water bottle trick and also rolled a golf ball under my foot.  It took awhile, but it got better.  Haven't had any problems for several years.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 8:30am
Originally posted by tomNE tomNE wrote:

my acupuncturist charges $69 a session and i'm well in 7days or under!   sounds to me like you guys are scared of needles!   When they fix planter fascitis, there is one tender spot on each foot that you will definitely feel the needle going in.    it's about 1/100'd of the pain of walking around with the planter fascitis, so i can see why you guys would avoid getting treatment!

What guys are scared of needles and who said anything about avoiding it or any other kind of treatment?
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 8:49am
Advil!!! Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. This malady is inflammation of the tendon that wraps around the heel. Anti-inflammatory drugs help a lot. I took three a day for a long time, only thing that helped. Ran out one day, heel hadn't bothered for a while so I just quit, haven't had trouble since. That was probably 12-14 years ago.

This may seem a little out there but I think a low carb diet helps too. Excess sugar causes inflammation.
Bull View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:58am
I have had it in both feet. First one was real bad and required surgery. The other I have controlled with stretching. I have found that lace up boots help.
WD45 Diesel, RC,CA,IB, B, G, 616, Early B-10, D-10, Terra Tiger, 95G spreader, SC blade
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:36pm
New Balance 990 shoes helps me.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Advil!!! Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. This malady is inflammation of the tendon that wraps around the heel. Anti-inflammatory drugs help a lot. I took three a day for a long time, only thing that helped. Ran out one day, heel hadn't bothered for a while so I just quit, haven't had trouble since. That was probably 12-14 years ago.

This may seem a little out there but I think a low carb diet helps too. Excess sugar causes inflammation.

Is there any side affects to taking Advil??
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:06am
First, the obvious, taking Advil will make it feel a little better, but does nothing to correct the problem. Reducing of the inflammation is temporary and if the primary issue is still there it will just come back.

If you take it for relief as you need to work and do the exercises, fine.

Advil constantly and long term certainly can cause some problems. Is hard on your stomach for one thing.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

First, the obvious, taking Advil will make it feel a little better, but does nothing to correct the problem. Reducing of the inflammation is temporary and if the primary issue is still there it will just come back.

If you take it for relief as you need to work and do the exercises, fine.

Advil constantly and long term certainly can cause some problems. Is hard on your stomach for one thing.

Thought so, even aspirin has side effects.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:35am
Yep, especially being hard on your stomach, and Advil and aspirin are very similar medication.

I also have reflux, and have been told by my doctor that it could be an irritant for that and try to take it easy on that type of thing.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 6:31pm
I feel for ya buddy and for all youse guys that have it.  I know, it's a real pain in the.........foot.  Just some info for all of you...

Plantar Fasciitis Treatment

Your treatments may include:

• Icing the area.
  • Night splints. You wear these to stretch your calf and foot while you sleep.
  • Physical therapy. Certain exercises can stretch your fascia and Achilles tendon and strengthen your leg muscles, which will make your ankle and heel more stable.
  • Rest. Stop doing things that make the pain worse. This might include some types of exercise, like running or jumping.
  • Supportive shoes or inserts. Shoes with thick soles and extra cushioning will make it less painful for you to stand or walk. Arch supports can distribute pressure more evenly across your feet.
  • Taking pain-relieving non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen or naproxen sodium. You shouldn’t take these for more than a month, so talk with your doctor.

Once you begin treatment, you’ll usually see improvement within 10 months. If you aren’t better then, your doctor might try treatments like shots of cortisone, a type of steroid, to ease inflammation. In rare cases, you might need surgery.

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:42pm
I've had it since I hurt my Achilles' tendon about A year and a half ago. Seen the Doctor the physical therapist and fit Doctor. Had an Mir and cortisone shot. They did put me on naproxen sodium for about a month told me if needed I could take again but not continusly I do the physical therapy exercises most of the time bought shoes inserts from the foot doctor he recommended not going to the good feet store. Go to Walmart step on the Doctor shoals machine and get the inserts it tells you to. I wear the night splint it helps as long as I use it every night. My wife bought a tens machine I try to use it nightly for 10 minutes. Nothing has completely stopped it but together it rarely bothers me much. I can't wear tennis shoes one day in tennis shoes and it takes a couple days before I walk normaly again. Most of the time I wear Herman survivors. But any half decent boot will do. Even deck shoes with Walmart supports are ok.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:54am
Advil does have some side effects, no doubt but it was the only thing that worked for me. One fishing trip to Canada years age there were three of us at the dinner table suffering from it. Doctor friend was taking ibuprofen for it, I started when I got home, don't think I had any with me. Figured Doc  had been the dean of the dental college at U of I, maybe he knows something.

Luckily for me, it has not recurred.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic