This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harbor Freight jackstands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harbor Freight jackstands
    Posted: 27 May 2020 at 5:40pm
I traded in the 2 I had, today.  Didn't have any others in stock, but I'm in no hurry, I'll pick 'em up when I see 'em...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 1:55pm
Well, here is a picture of my "modified" 6 ton stands to get an extra 5 inches of height.. Probably had these 15 years or more. They appear to be the same ones he bought "NEW" in the movie.. Plenty of teeth engagement... No longer have stickers so i dont know the PN.

I wonder if they are built in TWO different factories ?  the RED factory and the GREY factory ? ............ anybody have a BAD RED one ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 May 2020 at 2:02pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:38pm
Thanks for sharing this !
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:30pm
Technically, you should also bend the tab, on the side of the bottom half of the JS, to eliminate side play, between the 2 halves...Wink
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 4:46pm
Thanks Chas............ i assumed the arm had to be FULLY EXTENDED and then wobble in the hole...... Never thought that the TEETH on the arm could all be under size or no quality control from the factory... Sure was OBVIOUS when you looked at one disassembled... Now i need to check all of mine !! .......... but they are 20 years old or more.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:31am
Here's a video of the problem and a look at the old 6  ton jack pawls etc and the new ones.
 New ones are $50

[TUBE]Gn7FPbT2fxQ[/TUBE]

Edited by chaskaduo - 26 May 2020 at 11:38am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 1:50pm
I read some where and didn't mark it, (Duhh moment) that the machines that were being used to make them were falling apart and they couldn't keep a tolerance going. I couldn't verify if that was true or not, but for as long as they were made 3 tonners first then the 6 tonners came along, probably on the same machines (more wear, tear, and abuse) it makes sense to me.

Gordy, you could check with them on the #'s to make sure, but I suspect they are OK.
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:21am
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Are they from HF Gordy?

Yes I am sure they are maybe older than the recalled ones but look the same grey color both 3 and 6 ton the numbers on them are 69596 and 69597
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 7:50pm
Took them back today. First walked in and found a manager type guy as the checkout was backed up 3 deep. He said "bring 'em in and go to the checkout (while observing they were 3 deep waiting) and you will get a gift card". 

Went out and got them and grabbed some other stuff I needed and got up to the checkout and told the lady I had a set of recalled jack stands. She then asked for the recept. I told her I had no receipt but had the paper with the recall notice and part numbers. She asked for my phone number and tried to find the recept that way. Can't find it. As this was happening another worker finally comes up to open the other cash register (now with 6 people waiting) and explained to my cashier what she needs to do. She was going to set them on the floor but decided to put them in a cart "in case they get more".

No prominent signs/notices anywheres in the store about the recall that I could see, plus they should have a record of my purchase tied to my email that they should have sent a notice instead of me finding out on this forum.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:05am
Are they from HF Gordy?
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:53am

I have some that look like the recalled ones but they different numbers than the list.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:08pm
Went and checked mine after work, yep, I have the recalled ones.

I agree with the other opinions, I don't know how they could fail but obviously they do in some situations so I will return them and maybe go to my local Sears Hometown Store and get some that match what I already have which I bought from the "real" Sears store before they closed.

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:01pm
My guess is operator error. Pretty soon companies are going to have to send a babysitter out with every product they sell. darrel
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:23pm
Have to check mine, but last weekend, I had the new mower up on the old front end jack, to check/adjust track tension, forgot to chock the front wheels, lowered the mower, slowly onto the JS's, machine moved forward offa the FE jack, and slid onto the JS's, no damage to me, machine of the JS's.  sh!t happens, be careful...Wink
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 7:41pm
Harbor Fright = The best Chinese crap money can buy Smile
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:50pm
I wound up with a pair of unnamed Chinlees I'm afraid of just by looking at them but like the guy said they work for atv's.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 11:10am
I've bought some of them used Menards Railway Ties they always sell every year. Cut them up in various sizes for cribbing. They can be heavy though, but the price is right, and stumps aren't squared.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:41am
Have my D 15 jacked up now . I used my 3 ton Powerbuilt jack/jackstand under the PTO housing . Have a short piece of 4x4 on top of the jack under the sway bar bracket . Jacked up a little off center so the left side's up . Also have it cribbed up with some lam beam . Thanks !!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:04am
I suppose a video could be made that would provide a lot of practical tips, safety precautions, considerations. . . . seems it would be difficult to provide specific help due to all of the different tractors and what exact task you're jacking it up for. Jacking up a B and a 7080 are 2 different ballgames!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:20am
I normally put the floor jack off center and jack up ONE SIDE at a time to work on. You can normally find a spot to jack ( drawbar) and a place to put the STAND ( axle housing or drawbar anchor point) ........... very seldom would i have both sides off at the same time.

i also have a dozen 6 x 6 wood blocks about 15 inches long.  I can stack 2 x 2 x 2 like lincoln logs to build up a base if you need to go over 18 inches high .

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 May 2020 at 9:23am
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:01am
Maybe I should start a new thread but this is related-
Anyone know of a good instructional video about jacking up a tractor and placing the jack stands? Many times the best place to lift from is also where you want to place the jack stands.

Evaluate what I did the last time I jacked up My Ford 3000 to swap rims-wheel hubs in order change the tread width:
I used the large floor jack at the rear draw bar hanger right  on center line of tractor. Got the entire rear axle jacked up so both tires were about 3" off the floor. This is a side-side tipsy condition, 4" wide floor jack pad, front axle on a pivot pin...but with wheels still on it could only fall 3". Never do this and then take off the wheels without jack stands also!!

Then I placed the 12 ton HF floor jacks on each side, under axle. The stands are dished in as if made to nestle to a round truck rear diff. axle  But the Ford axle casting is square and too large to nestle in the stand.  It looked like a slippery situation. So I added  plywood shims to the stands. Lowered the floor jack.

Looking good. But then I realized the base of the HF 12ton jack stands were too close to the tire sidewall, and since i was narrowing up the tread, they would interfere. Raised the tractor again, moved the jack stands inboard and all was good.  Removed wheels, broke down, reassembled to desired tread, re-mounted wheels.

Comments please.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 8:34am
Mine are probably 15 years old so bought WAY BEFORE the 2013 date... but they like real similar to the photos.... I bought the 6 ton units and added a 6 inch base to the bottom to get EXTRA height for working on the 4 x 4 trucks... anything you could purchase back then was way to short on the height.

but, maybe thats the problem... jacks are not tall enough and they have the arm extended all the way UP so there is not much engagement with the stand ?  When the arm is fully UP, it does get a little wobbly ... Kind of like taking a 20 ft extension ladder and extending it to 21 ft ??

Edited by steve(ill) - 21 May 2020 at 8:37am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 7:56am
I suspect a lot of it is operator error, like not checking that the pawl is all the way into the catch cog and not just on the tip lip of the cog. And who in their right mind would work under a movable tippy jacked up anything. I have the 3 and 6 ton ones and use em all the time. I still use extra jacks and blocks in case. I seen a Shortbed Chevy come crashing down off of a garage lift once when the guy had most of the weight basically hanging off the front of the rack. Talk about loud, and thank God the control valve was 10 feet away and nobody standing there gawking.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 1:21am
Evidently the virus wasn't fast and thorough enough to suit em. Now they've added killer jack stands. 

Edited by Walker - 21 May 2020 at 1:23am
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:56pm
Yeah I got a set too...just used them and I dont get it either...they say paw doesn't engage ratchet deep enough

When I took the utv off them this afternoon I fiddled and jiggled and banged ....I could not make them fall.....I dont know...mine are the 3 ton ones....I use these little guys all the time....I really like the size..I have several sets but these are great for ATV stuff

Guess I will take them back and see what they have to say...I dang sure dont want my money back....I want jack stands...that's why I got them

Ocharry

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:31pm
 there is a potential, while under load and with a shift in weight, for the pawl to disengage from the extension lifting post, allowing the stand to drop suddenly. 

Dont see how the "pawl" is going to disengage. Weight of the truck is DOWN and locking into position.. You have to raise the foot up an inch to get the pawl out of the lock... UNLESS you dont have it engaged  properly to start with ? .... or old and rusted up ?
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 2:15pm
Are they older than the recall dates or even the same model #'s ?
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:46pm
Mine are HF but not made anything like the pictured ones.----HHHHHMMMMMMMM! ---oh well!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:40pm
At this point using bats as pay may be covered in their morals clause and forbidden. Or not.

Edited by Walker - 20 May 2020 at 1:44pm
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:31pm
Walker, or sick Bats.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic