This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sickle bar mower or substitute

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OutlawACfan86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sickle bar mower or substitute
    Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 9:05am
My father is having mobility issues and not able to really use the D19 or the WD45, and has issues getting on the 180. He has an 82S mower for the D19 that he doesn’t like. He used the sickle bar mower to trim around the pond and around the farm a little bit. However with him having issues getting and getting comfortable with the D19 he really can’t use the 82S. He recently bought a sub compact Massey for mowing the lawn, and it does have a 3 point hitch. Do any of you have a recommendation for a sickle bar mower for that sub compact tractor or another mower for around a pond and edging around in steep hills? I would also appreciate pictures if you would like to post them.
WD45 nfe, D19 gas, 180 with rops & 500 loader
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 9:40am
I recently got one of those DR fenceline mowers. It does a great job and with the head being spring loaded, it just swings away from whatever you’re mowing up against. The porblems I’ve had are the 1/2” drive belt is tooo weak, solved that problem by replacing the head drive pulley with one from the generator off of a CA, then used a 5/8” drive belt from the twine wrap drive of a Roto-Baler. I’ve. Also added a caster wheel to the front side of the arm and under the hitch to allow the unit to float on the uneven ground, without having to constantly adjust the hitch height.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:01pm
There is a place, I think it is called Haban that makes smaller 3 point hitch sickle bar mowers. I see them on Craig's list once in a while.
T.J._N.J. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J._N.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 8:20am
Ford & Massey made good 3 point sickle bar mowers, I have a Dearborn mower but it's missing the brackets that went with the To 20 when it was sold. The newer ones are easier to hook up and just pin on. You likely might have to fabricate something to make it all work.TJ
RMD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 8:13am
My understanding was that New Holland was the gold standard for 3-point hitch sickle bar mowers, but they don't come cheap. If he's using it for trimming work where the bar may not always be close to level you need to avoid mowers with and pitman drive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic