This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5
    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 8:21pm
So I finally got the HD5 picked up. Found the starter button was junk. I managed to get it started and running fairly good and even leveled a little patch for a friend. I am supper excited to have this old machine and see it back in action again. I have a small video but the quality isnt very good and I haven't had any luck with loading photos on here for some reason. But once I get it figure out I'll get them loaded.
Sponsored Links

NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 10:18pm
super

HD3
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 2:44pm

The tractor looks good. These old machines just keep going. Enjoy it and congratulations on saving another one.

Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
Dharless View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 7:35am
So some of the things I have found on the dozer that need repaired are both hydraulic rams need rebuilt or replaced, and it needs head gaskets new fuel lines and remove the hack job shade cover post. Id also like to wire the battery in correctly too. 
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:46am
Nice tractor. congratulations!
You’re in the right place for help and ideas. These forum members are the best and really care.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 10:54am
To put videos up on here, I believe you have to use a host server... like youtube or some other.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 11:02am
So if you have a starter button it means someone put a M42 starter onto the 2-71 - seems that is the best conversion and thenthe next is to replace the generator with a alternator - 
 next is using a single 12 v battery to simplify things - also getting the filters changed and in some cases updating the filters to spin on type to be easier to find . 
 Keeping things lubed - including the sleeve inside the clutch housing - and remembering not to leave machine idle with the transmission in gear as the wear on that sleeve to the input shaft is a wear point - (idle only with clutch engaged) for any length of time 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:25pm
Nice looking little dozer.  Nice save!
Dharless View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 1:45pm
All right folks. Here is a bit of an update. The dozer already has an alternator on it but not hooked up. I have been using a group 31 batter to power it. Not sure if it's a different starter or not. I know you have a push rod to start it and it pushed the starter armature out and then goes to what I call a "button" that simply makes a power connection to the starter itself. Yesterday I was running it around and the cobbled cooling system in it came apart. So currently I need a radiator (preferably for this machine) all the short metal. Previous owner got a little creative with the cutting torch to fit what ever radiator in it he could find. A new fan and hoses. Oh and I need to fix the battery boxes (lids) new seat, all new fuel lines and head gasket. And finally I need to rebuild both rams one may need replaced as the head piece is broke and cobbled up. But currently the cooling system parts are my main concern.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 4:59pm
Oh boy that’s a lot of work. Good luck.
Dharless View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 8:14pm
Yeah that's not bad. I run a mobile diesel repair business. The hardest part is finding the parts.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Dharless Dharless wrote:

All right folks. Here is a bit of an update. The dozer already has an alternator on it but not hooked up. I have been using a group 31 batter to power it. Not sure if it's a different starter or not. I know you have a push rod to start it and it pushed the starter armature out and then goes to what I call a "button" that simply makes a power connection to the starter itself. Yesterday I was running it around and the cobbled cooling system in it came apart. So currently I need a radiator (preferably for this machine) all the short metal. Previous owner got a little creative with the cutting torch to fit what ever radiator in it he could find. A new fan and hoses. Oh and I need to fix the battery boxes (lids) new seat, all new fuel lines and head gasket. And finally I need to rebuild both rams one may need replaced as the head piece is broke and cobbled up. But currently the cooling system parts are my main concern.

I have had very good luck with John @ general Gear in Idaho  
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Dharless View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 8:24pm
So I got a quote to completely build a ne radiator today and a quote for a used radiator. 1200 to build a new one. $800 for a used one with no guarantee it's even good. This seams a little high to me. What do you all think?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2019 at 9:34pm
High for the used one in comparison

HD3
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 12:19pm
High for a used one w/no grantee, but knowing what my son just paid for a rad for his Peterbuilt, and that was a stock item, not a special order like the your would be, I'd say you are in the ballpark. You might find it a little cheaper else ware, but it will never be cheap for a new one
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 1:07pm
I found one from a parts dealer ( THILL TRACK & TRACTOR ) for the full hard noze and radiator for under $200 - now that was a few years back . 
 Rebuilding on ? I used a radiator from a 47 Chev car for a bit on my HD5B but it tended to overheat when pushed hard . 
 There are parts out there it's just finding them .Head gasket I got from a Detroit Diesel supplier - cheaper than a parts house - same as rebuilt HV7 injectors . 
 Battery box covers I just had some plate steel cut to size and ran in a breal to make the 2 90 deg bends - then welded a tab on to idex into the bolt in front of case 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

I found one from a parts dealer ( THILL TRACK & TRACTOR ) for the full hard noze and radiator for under $200 - now that was a few years back . 
 Rebuilding on ? I used a radiator from a 47 Chev car for a bit on my HD5B but it tended to overheat when pushed hard . 
 There are parts out there it's just finding them .Head gasket I got from a Detroit Diesel supplier - cheaper than a parts house - same as rebuilt HV7 injectors . 
 Battery box covers I just had some plate steel cut to size and ran in a breal to make the 2 90 deg bends - then welded a tab on to idex into the bolt in front of case 

For my battery boxes, I used treated 1/2” plywood cut to fit tops. Added a piece of angle stock to lock it down. Put thick foam on it and covered with black vinyl. Arm rests!
Dharless View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:04pm
I think for the arm rest/battery box lids I will use a sheet steel lid then use a marine grade plywood as a base for the cushion and then a black vinyl. I will probably do the seat the same way. And may add some orange vinyl for trim. Give it a little dress up.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Dharless Dharless wrote:

I think for the arm rest/battery box lids I will use a sheet steel lid then use a marine grade plywood as a base for the cushion and then a black vinyl. I will probably do the seat the same way. And may add some orange vinyl for trim. Give it a little dress up.

Sweet!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 8:59am
I ended up the first time doing about a 3" rise on the battery box covers and the seat , then later just updated the seat with a bucket seat from a Chev suburban I scrapped . but raised it up about 4" higher than stock seat . 
 Now have a seat with floating hardware so cushion ride with shock and float suspension .
Way back it seems operators were smaller and not 6' or so tall - setting higher made it easier to run everything . Then on a 5G your arms are busy and seldom on the rests .  
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 11:35am
I remember a many time getting on the hd6 or the 6g in the middle of a summer day in a dirt pit starting the machine and that hot black vinyl feeling like a flame thrower to your skin. I do remember the 955 and old d6 had the nice wide seats that the girlfriend could sit net to ya.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 11:45am
the HD5 G with 2nd bucket seat 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 3:15pm
I bought a IH T340 with a blue/grey minivan seat on it.
I got rid of both.

Nice 5

HD3
Dharless View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 9:40pm
Honestly if I dont find a radiator theres really no point to fix anything else. I can have on made but I need one to get the sizes off of. I have no idea what the on that's in there is out of. I have part numbers. Does anyone have a way to cross reference them? I can grab them in the morning.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 12:51pm
that chev car radiator I used fit into the width or brackets and for length was right also - just the number of cores were not enough . 
 Stock HD5 radiator is not a pressure unit - just open overflow from tank - 
Dharless View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 3:42pm
Well it looks like I will be taking a trip to Missouri soon. I found all the parts I need to get my dozer back up and running.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:55pm
individual or salvage dealer?

HD3
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 5:55pm
Good luck.

Dharless View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:20am
Salvage yard has them.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:51pm
Not mine but just down the road....
just some eye candy

If they have any hd3 stuff holler at me

Edited by NomoreJohnDeere - 25 May 2019 at 10:54pm
HD3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic