This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woods Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD8NGV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woods Question
    Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 3:01pm
Hello all,

My father and I both have woods mowers on our tractors.  I have the L306 on my C and he has the 59 on his Farmall A.  The problem on his red headed step child is that the mower must have been put after it was ordered for another tractor.  It has the wrong spindles installed.  We found this out when I routed the belt correctly and it turned the wrong way.  Instead of purchasing 3 new spindles at roughly $150 a piece, can we --safely-- route the belt to make the deck spin the correct way? 

The belt was flipped near the PTO pulley to make this work the time we acquired it.  I was not comfortable with it running the wrong way so I routed it correctly and here we are. 

Will putting on spindles work on a deck that is meant for another handed spindle?

Any insight is appreciated. 

I am working on him to get an Orange girl, but we will see what happens. :)

Thank you,

Kevin
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 3:32pm
  The decks are the same for right or left hand spindles. The only difference is the threaded hole in the bottom of the spindle, the bolt and the blade.
 I had a Woods 59 on a B and had trouble keeping a belt on it. I didn't change the spindles to run it left handed, I just bought left hand blades and used my 1//2 impact to tighten up the blades. Only had one come loose after that in 4 or 5 years of mowing. There are guys running right hand decks with Allis B's and C's but you gotta figure out how to route the belt to keep it working.
 Dick L posted a couple times about running his right hand deck and seems to get by well with it.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 16 Feb 2016 at 3:35pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
KD8NGV View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD8NGV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 7:37pm
Charlie,  I appreciate your feedback.  Is it ok to cross the belt over to make it turn the spindles correctly? 

We tried mowing with the correct blades on the incorrect spindles, albeit without the impact, and the blade flew off within the first 5 feet.
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 8:01pm
  it iis hard do what you want  ih runs the oppsite the way they are belted up- plus the safety reasons  sold them many yrs   not safe in my book bolts are also lh thread check yours .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 10:47pm
Only time I lost a blade was when I nicked a culvert. 120 lbs of air on a cheapo impact turned all the way up and hammer it for a couple seconds. there's no reason you can't reroute the belt as others have done this. I just gave up after one season of mowing cause I needed new blades anyway, and got the leftys.
KD8NGV View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD8NGV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 7:29am
Where did you acquire the spindles?

When you reroute the belts, do you flip it over near the pto Pulley or reroute it on the spindle pulleys?
farmtoybuilder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmtoybuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 7:33am
New spindles are available from Woods, Or you can just change shafts and buy correct blade bolts.
5 different TT-10's,5 TT-18's Terra Tigers,B-10,2 B-207's,B-110,2 B-112's,HB-112,B-210,B-212,HB212,2 Scamp's & Homilite T-10. Still hunting NICE HB-112 & anything Terra Tiger & Trailers for them.   
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 7:36am
 Around these parts a person can hardly give away a belly mower, even a nice one.   Consignment auction season is upon us, I would do some shopping if it were me.
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 9:57am
I beleive that   the L306 and the 59 have blades that go in opposite directions. Is it possible that the only problem is that the wrong blades are on the mower?
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 10:04am
L is for left hand which includes the bolt threads and the blade. Left hand turns counter clockwise when looking down on the mower in working position. L59 is lefty and a 59 is righty.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 10:05am
And the reason for that is so the blades self tighten.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

Around these parts a person can hardly give away a belly mower, even a nice one.   Consignment auction season is upon us, I would do some shopping if it were me.

This is amazing to me.  These mowers work so well. 
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
KD8NGV View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD8NGV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 7:14pm
I have the L 306 on my C and I love it.  As long as I do not get into too high of grass, the old girl works well.  Makes 3.5 acres much easier to manage.  I have to trim the trees or I am liable to lose a head or muffler.  :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic