This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AGCO Star out working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AGCO Star out working
    Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:41am
Cought this out today in my travels. Working about a 200 acre field.

Lots of field work going on here yet. He was not the only ones out, did see some green in the fields too! Best part of my job is getting out of the office and seeing the country side
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
Sponsored Links

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 2:34pm
Thanks Larry, great picture.Thumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
KY poorboy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KY poorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 3:25pm
Yes it is, thanks for posting!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 5:44pm
Very nice thanks
charlesbendal View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesbendal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:06pm
We have and 8360 its been a pretty good horse so far
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 3:42pm
Is anybody making those anymore? I know they aren't under the AGCO brand but is AGCO making them under another brand or is someone else badging it or building it? I always thought they should have been orange but I am biased.Big smile
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 3:44pm
Nice pic. We have one good cheap HP.
    IG
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 5:50am
Tractordata says Agcostar 8630 built 1995-2001. It was offered in 3 colors, has cummins 360hp 855, & Eaton Fuller 18speed Trans. Here's a weblink to their info
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/3/7/6375-agco-8360.html
The Agcostar 8425 offered a Detroit 425hp 12.7L 1995-1998, then a Cummins 425hp N14 from 1999-2001. Hers it's info weblink:
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/3/7/6376-agco-8425.html
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 5:56am
There were a very few around here and I never saw anything but silver ones. It seems a local elevator here had 1 or 2 to pull anhydrous applicators. I'd like to see an orange one if anybody has a pic. 
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 11:21am
so what is this tractor? were was it biult? how big is it ? what engines , drivetrain ? what years?   tried finding it on tractor data but could not.
grinder220 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 12:34pm
Silver is the only color I've ever seen, red and orange were the other options.
Jim in MO View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 12:44pm
they was in kc,mo back of the combine in april 1995. didn,take picture of it. was ask not to jim.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 4:30pm
I included web-links in my earlier post, but I did not attach them correctly (just copied them into my text), so you could not click on them.  Below are the clickable web-links again for the tractor data site.  It has pictures & specific info. Just give the orange lettering a click.

This ones for the 8425.
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 4:37pm
They were the McConnell tractor. Who also built the Massey 4wd 5200. Agco bought then and rebadged them. You could get Cummins or Detroit . 8360 or 8425. 360hp and 425hp.
     IG
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 5:41pm
Trying to find out who engineered, and where it was built is giving me
the tractor shell game headache.
I think the history is- Massey Ferguson built them in Brantford Ontario (Canada). MF wanted to shut down the Brantford plant, McConnel bought it and moved production to Kinston NC. Sold it back to MF as the
5200. Then AGCO bought out McConnel and moved production to the Coldwater OH. Would that be the White tractor plant?
Typical tractor manufacturing horse hockey. So how many factory workers saw the rise and fall of this tractor? Funny, if I got it right, started in the MF family and left, then came back.

Must be easy to build a large tractor. Purchase a few thousand parts, weld up a frame and maybe a cab, bend some hydraulic pips, and boom, giant tractor!

It would be nice if someone would really lay this out for us.

My other mystery I would like solved is what was built in Coldwater OH?
Could it be Whites, Olivers, Minneapolis Molines, Massey-Fergusons, AgcoStars? Some or all of that? What the heck was going on in Coldwater? Are those Buckeyes that talented, they can get a tractor spit out at a moments notice, for the new boss of the day?
How many tractor they making now, oh wait, AGCO shut it down.
So now where it the stuff being made... sheese.

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 6:12pm
amazing you found that much out
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 6:18pm
must have skipped over that post looks like all generic componats should be pretty reliable
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 6:38pm
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 10:01pm
Coldwater was the old New Idea plant
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 10:16pm
I don't know if tractors were ever built at Coldwater.  I know they built manure spreaders and hay equipment there when Allied owned NI.  Anyone know if the plant is still there and if so what is made in it?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 10:19pm
The old New Idea plant is still there in Coldwater. I don't know if anything is being built there or what is being done with it. But the building is still there.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 11:18pm
The Agco Allis and Agco whites came out of that plant also. Where the white planters made there to ? I was thinking they were.
           IG
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 7:49am
Article about the Coldwater, OH plant
www.seedquest.com/News/releases/usa/misc/n2292.htm

The Agcostar production seems to have ended in 2001, according to Tractordata.com.
So is that the end of it? Maybe not, what is the history of the Challenger
articulated tractors, MT900B (MT945B example) series. They seem to come out in 2007.
Is that a re-worked Agcostar design or a Cat design? I think AGCO aquired Challenger
in 2001. They also took up AG-Chem (sprayers). The  Ag-Chem deal took them to Jackson MN, where the big Agco factory is now. They make the MT975 articulated tractors there.
So maybe there was a 6 year dead time in articulated tractor making. I can't find
any proof that Challenger had an articulated design and were building it in the
Dekalb Il. factory. Delalb is where the Challengers were built when owned by Caterpillar.
Agco eventually moved Challenger production to Jackson. I don't know the date of
first Challenger tracked machine comes out of Jackson.

So the big question, are the Challenger articulated tractors sons of the Agcostar?

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 8:27am
here is some 4wd history.  i dont know how correct it is
according to this  Agcostar 8425= Massey 5200 

Welcome to Big Tractor Power .com

AGCO 4wd Tractor Heritage
77 Years of 4 Wheel Power

With roots that are firmly established in the North American farm equipment industry, AGCO Corporation has a heritage that reaches as far back as the mid-1800s through many of its brands.

Its direct lineage is from the Allis-Chalmers brand name. AGCO got its start in 1990 with the purchase of Deutz Allis Corporation from German-based Kloeckner-Humboldt-Deutz AG. KHD, in turn, had purchased the Allis-Chalmers agricultural equipment business five years earlier. Since that time, AGCO, the industry consolidators, has become a worldwide farm machinery company through market growth and strategic acquisitions. Today, with sales of approximately $3 billion.   AGCO brand products are sold in more than 140 countries by over 8,000 dealerships and markets 22 brands with over a millennium of combined heritage. 

4wd tractors have a 76 year heritage in the AGCO Corporation.  AGCO traces its tractor roots back to the Hart-Parr Oil-Pull tractors.  Hart-Parr became part of the Oliver company in the 1920's. Also in the 1920's  Massey-Harris purchased Wallis tractors makers of the first 4wd.  In the 1950's Massey-Harris joined with Henry Ferguson to form Massey-Ferguson.  In the 1960's Oliver became part of the White Motor Company which later acquired Minneapolis-Moline and Cockshutt.  Oliver Green, Minneapolis-Moline Yellow and Cockshutt Red were merged in 1975 under White Silver.  During the 1980's White joined forces with the well known implement company New Idea under Allied-Products.  In 1986 the long time orange brand Allis-Chalmers was purchased by Deutz-Fhar and became Deutz-Allis.  In 1990 Deutz-Allis was purchased by the newly formed Allis-Gleaner Company (AGCO).  AGCO began selling AGCO-Allis tractors and Gleaner Combines.  In 1993 AGCO purchased the White-New Idea brand.  In 1994 AGCO acquired the Massey-Ferguson brand along with McConnel-Marc 4wds.  In 2002 AGCO purchased the Caterpillar Challenger tracked tractor line.  Today AGCO offers the industries largest horse power tractors under the Challenger name. 

CATSER.jpg

AGCO's Challenger line continues to advance as the new articulated MT965 4wd prepares for its debut.  This big 4wd returns AGCO to the wheeled 4wd tractor market as the big artics race to the 600 hp mark. 

Caterpillar Prototype History

In 2002, AGCO acquired Caterpillar Inc.'s agricultural equipment business, primarily the design, assembly and marketing of their Challenger track tractors.  Since 1987, when Caterpillar introduced the world’s first farm tractor equipped with rubber tracks, the Challenger name has stood for awesome power, cutting-edge technology and amazing versatility. Today, Caterpillar dealers continue their dedication to the farming community with a full line of agricultural products, many of which are specifically designed and built by AGCO to carry the Challenger logo.  Challengers largest tractor the MT865 lead the industry at 500 hp in 2002.  In 2005 Challenger increased its horse power lead with the new MT875B rated at 575hp.

In 1994, AGCO purchased McConnell tractors leading to the development of the AGCOSTAR articulated tractor line. AGCO purchased the worldwide holdings of Massey Ferguson in the same year. AGCO-Star 4wds were produced from 1995-2002. The 360 hp 8360 and 425 hp 8425 AGCO-Star 4wds were available with both Cummins and Detroit-Diesel engines through 1998. From 1999-2002 only Cummins engines were available.  The Challenger MT800 tracked tractors took over high horse power in the AGCO line in 2002.  The AGCO-Star was sold in the White brands silver and the Massey-Ferguson brands red. 

The McConnell Manufacturing Company Inc. formed in 1961. McConnell in the early 1960's produced potato equipment. During the next two decades McConnell produced, the Ontario Grain Drill, the Hesston Potato Harvester line, Chisholm Ryder Company (makers of combines, bean harvesters and grape harvesters). McConnell purchased and then resold the Marshall Tractor Company (formerly Leyland Tractor )  In 1988, McConnell acquired the rights to the Massey-Ferguson 4000 Series 4WD Tractors. With upgraded power and options, these tractors became the Massey-Ferguson 5000 Series.  In 1993 the 360 hp 900 and 425 hp 1000 McConnell - Marc 4WD Tractors replaced the MF name. 

In 1953 Massey-Harris and Harry Ferguson merged to form Massey-Harris-Ferguson Limited. Later this was changed to "Massey-Ferguson". In 1958 the company acquired F. Perkins Ltd of England who was the leading diesel engine producer at that time. This gave the MF company a ready source for diesel engines. In 1970 Massey-Ferguson entered the articulated 4wd market with the MF 1200 4wd.  MF introduced its big 4000 4wds in 1980 and remained in the 4wd market through 1992.  The last MF 4wd, the 5200  was the first 4wd in the 1990's to reach 425 hp. 

Massey Ferguson 4wd History

In 1901, the "Allis-Chalmers" company was formed by merging the Edward P. Allis Co., Fraser and Chalmers Company. By 1979 they had grown into a $2 billion corporation and were one of the important machinery manufacturers in the United States.  Allis-Chalmers entered the articulated 4wd market in 1973 with 4wds built by Steiger.  In 1976 Allis-Chalmers released its own 4wds known as the Super Beasts.  Allis-Chalmers offered a second generation of 4wds in 1982 and ended production in 1986 under the Deutz-Allis brand.  

In 1974 White Motor Company the parent company of Oliver, Minneapolis-Moline and Cockshutt merged the brands under the name WHITE and the color silver.  The White 4-150 introduced the Field Boss tractor line and was sold along with Oliver and Minneapolis-Moline 2wd tractors in 1974.  In 1975 White introduced its new White Farm Equipment brand across the tractor and implement lines.  White 4wds were offered by WFE through 1987.

White 4wd History

The Oliver Farm Equipment Corporation was formed in 1929 after the merger of the Oliver Chilled Plow Company, the Hart-Parr Company, Nichols & Shepard Company and the American Seeding Machine Company. It was later known as the Oliver Corporation. Oliver entered the 4wd market in 1971 with the 2455 and 2655 4wds. The Oliver 4wds were identical to the Minneapolis A4T-1400 and A4T-1600 4wds.  Like the Minneapolis-Moline and White Plainsman the Oliver 4wd became one under the new  White Farm Equipment brand in 1974.

Oliver 4wd History

The Minneapolis-Moline company was formed in 1929 after a merger between the Moline Implement Company, the Minneapolis Threshing Machine Company and the Minneapolis Steel & Machinery Company. Minneapolis-Moline was acquired by the White Motor Company in 1963.  The first Minneapolis-Moline 4wd the A4T-1400 was introduced in 1969 .  Minneapolis-Moline 4wds departed from the M-M gold paint scheme to a red.  The only yellow M-M 4wds produced were made for a select few dealers in Minnesota.  M-M 4wds were produced through 1972.  From 1974 the A4T-1600 4wd was offered as the White Plains man. In 1974 the red A4T was replaced by the White 4-150. 

Minneapolis-Moline 4wd History

The Massey-Harris company was formed in 1891. It was the combination of Massey Manufacturing Company of Toronto and A. Harris Son & Company Ltd., both of Ontario, Canada. Both of these companies had on their own been industry leaders in the production of implements. Massey Harris General Purpose Four Wheel Drive debuted in the late 1920's after the purchase of the Wallis tractor line.   The MH General Purpose was a rigid frame tractor with 4 drive wheels. This style tractor would latter inspire today's articulated 4wd tractors.

Photographs from AGCO, White, Allis-Chalmers, Massey-Ferguson Sales Literature for Identification Purposes, from Dan Adamson, Richard Keesey, Jason Hasert and John Schomberg. These pictures may not be copied from Big Tractor Power.com 

Hit Counter

Home 

Pictures found on BigTractorPower.com are free for all to enjoy on this website. Pictures found on BTP.com may not be copied or reposted on farmphoto.com or any other website. This site is free to use and there is no reason to re-post these pictures. If you have questions please e-mailWebmaster@toytractorshow.com

Published 01/01/2001 © All Rights Reserved 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004. 

This Website created and maintained by: TTS 

Edited by CAL(KS) - 03 Dec 2015 at 8:30am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
btred1466 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btred1466 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 8:50am
Larry,

I thought I saw a Tractor like that sitting around the Wayne County Fairgrounds before. Actually just West up on a hill by a shed above the Fairgrounds.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 5:43pm
I think the design of the Challenger articulated is not from the Agcostar.
The front of the Challenger looks just like their tracked tractors.

The Massey Ferguson4800/5200-McConnell 1000-Agcostar was sequentially built by 3 different builders in 3 different locations.  All the locations are now shutdown. All the brands that produced the tractor are now owned by AGCO. So you would assume Agco really really wanted that tractor. Then they dump it and go with design that has more roots to CAT then their own Massey Ferguson. Amazing.

bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 6:33pm
The Challenger articulated 4wd, has its roots with cat, and is the only Challenger product, still available through Cat heavy equipments dealers. The tractor, was designed as a way for Cat, to compete against Deere's 4wd/scraper combination.
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

I think the design of the Challenger articulated is not from the Agcostar.
The front of the Challenger looks just like their tracked tractors.

The Massey Ferguson4800/5200-McConnell 1000-Agcostar was sequentially built by 3 different builders in 3 different locations.  All the locations are now shutdown. All the brands that produced the tractor are now owned by AGCO. So you would assume Agco really really wanted that tractor. Then they dump it and go with design that has more roots to CAT then their own Massey Ferguson. Amazing.

There stupid moves never cease to amaze me either !!!!!!
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 5:27am
Originally posted by btred1466 btred1466 wrote:

Larry,

I thought I saw a Tractor like that sitting around the Wayne County Fairgrounds before. Actually just West up on a hill by a shed above the Fairgrounds.

Thats the one. He owns all that bottom ground around the fair grounds, plus several thousand more around the area west of town. They bought it new. They store it in the "big shed" now which is too bad. This one has a Cummins in it
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic