This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats a 920 Diesel worth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats a 920 Diesel worth?
    Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 7:37pm
I have a chance to buy a 920 diesel lawn tractor.  It has a deck, but no other attachments.  Supposedly runs, but sounds like the starter is probably out of it.  Thats all I know.  It looks pretty decent, tires dont look bad, sheet metal is straight.  What is a fair price?
Thanks
Sponsored Links

Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 7:50pm
I saw one on for sale for $3200 a while ago.  I don't know if it ever sold. Only attachment was the mower deck. Better check on the price of that starter before you make a offer.  That brand of engine powered the first Concord air seed carts. Last price on those starters was $1700. Only available from Italy. I don't know if the Lawn mower is that bad also.
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 8:05pm
I bought mine last year for 1500 its the best looking one I ever seen. All it has is a mower deck.    Parts are hard and $$$$$  I need a voltage regulator and they are 3 to 500  depends where your looking.  But in that shape try a few hunderd and see if they like the offer.  kip
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 8:27pm
Adam, If it's the one on craigslist, he's advertised it in AR, OK, and MO.  $1100 looks high to me. If it were near, and $500, I'd own it, but withhim advertising it that far apart, who knows where it is????
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 8:36pm
Jim - Thats it. 
The story is a bit sketchy to me, or I might have to do something about it.  When I factor in what Nathan said about the starter price, that probably blows me out of the water as well.  Thanks guys!
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 8:47pm
You can get the starters rebuilt fairly reasonable.  I bought one about 12 years ago and had a local electric motor guy rebuild it for something like $50.  But, If you can't hear it run it's a little sketchy.  I ran mine for awhile on one cylinder.  They are loud and tend to smoke quite a bit but that may just be my engine.  I'm not sure if you can get parts or not but the engine's are lombardini's. 

They used to have a website www.lombardiniusa.com  Now when you type that it it directs you to Kohler.  I'm not sure what is up with that?  Perhaps Kohler bought them out?   I see Kohler now offers both liquid and air cooled diesels so maybe the air ones are the lombardinis?
mnman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 5:33pm
I live in Minnesota and have an Allis Chalmers 920 Diesel for sale. The only attachment it has is a 48 inch mower deck. It runs but needs some work. I can pictures if you contact me.
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by kip in cny kip in cny wrote:

I bought mine last year for 1500 its the best looking one I ever seen. All it has is a mower deck.    Parts are hard and $$$$$  I need a voltage regulator and they are 3 to 500  depends where your looking.  But in that shape try a few hunderd and see if they like the offer.  kip

Wiggle the connector on the voltage regulator.  Mine didn't charge when I got it, but when I checked to see if it was on tight, it started charging.  Every once in a while, I have to push it back on, when I notice its not charging.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Nathan (SD) Nathan (SD) wrote:

I saw one on for sale for $3200 a while ago.  I don't know if it ever sold. Only attachment was the mower deck. Better check on the price of that starter before you make a offer.  That brand of engine powered the first Concord air seed carts. Last price on those starters was $1700. Only available from Italy. I don't know if the Lawn mower is that bad also.

Is that the one that was in SE Minnesota??  I saw that on Craigslist (and was near me), but I wasn't even interested in looking at it for that price.

I bought mine (Simplicity 7790) several years ago for $300 but it was burning oil and smoking bad.  An engine tear-down revealed plugged up cooling fins and oil control rings that were smooth as a baby's butt from being run hot.  New rings ($200) and a burnish of the cylinders and I was back in business.  I have also spent $200 on having the injectors checked and one rebuilt.

A good clean gas 917 is maybe worth $600-$900.  A 920 in good condition would be worth another $200-$500.  The trick is finding one that doesn't need work--------parts are very expensive.
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by mnman mnman wrote:

I live in Minnesota and have an Allis Chalmers 920 Diesel for sale. The only attachment it has is a 48 inch mower deck. It runs but needs some work. I can pictures if you contact me.

What kind of work???
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Byron WC in SW Wi Byron WC in SW Wi wrote:

You can get the starters rebuilt fairly reasonable.  I bought one about 12 years ago and had a local electric motor guy rebuild it for something like $50.  But, If you can't hear it run it's a little sketchy.  I ran mine for awhile on one cylinder.  They are loud and tend to smoke quite a bit but that may just be my engine.  I'm not sure if you can get parts or not but the engine's are lombardini's. 

They used to have a website www.lombardiniusa.com  Now when you type that it it directs you to Kohler.  I'm not sure what is up with that?  Perhaps Kohler bought them out?   I see Kohler now offers both liquid and air cooled diesels so maybe the air ones are the lombardinis?

Yes, Kohler either bought them or the distribution rights for North America.
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

mnman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 6:10pm
It burns some oil and I believe it needs new head gaskets because it looks like it leaks oil out of them.
Matt Tallant View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Tallant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 7:22pm
People used them to mow with and never cleaned the cooling fins on the engine which caused them to overheat.Very common for them.Garden tractor market is soft right now.There are plenty of them left I wouldnt jump on the first one I see.JMO
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 3:49am
paid $2500. for mine ona farm sale, only had the mower deck on it, it runs awsum...and Pruitt In Omaha,ne has and can get any parts for them (engine parts in mean) it's a lambardini diesel!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 7:37am
Some of our older arrow boards at work (highway maintenance) had lambardini diesel engines (that ran a generator to charge the batteries). There may be some engines/parts available on some of these since arrowboards have (mostly) been replaced by solar powered variable message boards.
frochevy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frochevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 9:27pm
Hello
I hate to hijack this post but it's a few years old. .. anyhow I'm looking at a 920 on craigslist. The owner removed the diesel and re-powered it with an 18hp kohler gas engine. The mower comes with mower deck, snow blower, and rear tiller as well as the "worn out" original diesel engine and he's asking $650. Is this mower worth that?

Thanks
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 10:07pm
The attachments are likely worth $500 by themselves.  If the hydro and installed engine are OK, it's a good deal.

Be sure to include the "worn out" diesel.  The parts on that may be worth the asking price.  Better it, it may just need rings.  Mine was smoking really bad and using oil when I bought it cheap.  A set of rings was all it needed.

Edited by 427435 - 14 Sep 2015 at 10:09pm
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

frochevy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frochevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 9:39pm
Thank you for the info. Going to try and go look at it tomorrow evening.
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 10:24pm

Did you buy it?
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 11:33pm
sorry I miss spelled the name of the engine, its: lombardini.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic