This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 45 grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 45 grader
    Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 2:50pm
I had this one until it was stolen from me a few years ago!

It was either a 59 or 60 model original paint as seen in photo, and a very low hour machine owned by a small twp. until I got it from them!---came with one big mommy of a vee plow on the front!---the 45's were hoggin machines!  this one had the 516 engine with GM supercharger on the side driven with 3 vee belts, also had optional hyd moldboard slider from factory!
Made in Springfield , ILL. and sold new by Dunmire equipment in El Paso ILL>! thanks; ac fleet

Sponsored Links

James Coons View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Coons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 6:52pm
nice lookin unit.  do you still have the v-plow? 
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 6:59pm
How does somebody steal a GRADER??? Can't be easy to stick it in your pocket, and loading it on a trailer behind a one-ton takes a bit of finesse, not something easy to do in the dark or by yourself. Somebody had help!!
   David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 7:56pm
I sold the vee plow several years ago.
The grader was taken from a storage shed in remote location and was loaded on a roll-back semi-trailer!----have good idea as to the who and how but could never prove it! Herd later it went straight to the junkyard!---sickos out there have ben hitting sheds around here right and left! thanks; ac fleet
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 10:55pm

ac fleet

Small correction - I think you'll find the blower was Schweitzer.  At least  that's the tag on ours.

Incidently ours is Australian production, and the slats in the radiator grille are full length vertical. 

It was an interesting project working out about what we have, as the serial starts with 524 - ***. Was quite a project to flea parts book and service manual to narrow it down to US type numbers by "we've got that so it's above that number" and "we haven't got that so it is below".  I reckon I'm within about 200 now.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 11:06am
The blower was the same one that was used on a Detroit 6-71diesel engine and had no tags on it!---I have the factory parts manual and the owners manual for the machine still!
Dont remember my serial #---may be written on the manual !  will check later! thanks; ac fleet
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 4:29am
Here's my chance to ask a question that has been hanging - did Schweitzer build the blowers for the Detroits?

But I thought the Detroits had alloy cases - our Forty Five is not alloy, and note the weight reference in

The service manual gives specs but no mention of maker of the blower.

Going by the books I'll guess that your engine was something like 98863 if early or 45-**** if later.,

and the grader frame will be something like 1151.  So the problem with matching our 524 - *** type frame numbers to the now available books (not helped by no tag on the engine either). 

I actually have an Australian part book - but for the 45's (10000 series engine) which doesn't necessarily help.  Does show we got a different hydraulic system though.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 4:44am
Detroit Diesel actually built their own blowers, Schweitzer here in the US built superchargers for Cummins and other manufacturers for the four stroke engines the old Super 190 Cummins and 275 H series had a Schweitzer on it as I remember. At some time they also began manufacture on turbochargers, made many lines for different companies including IHC for trucks and tractors.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 1:19am
DMiller

Just consulted the googler to check - Schweitzer is now Borg Warner turbo.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 7:31am
Hi Ian, I hadn't had to buy a turbo for a long time, last one was for a Cat from Cat, previous to that was a Cummins that had a Garrett Air Research unit on it. Had no idea they had been absorbed by Borg Warner. At least the line is still manufactured. My own 7.3 IHC/Ford has a Garrett on it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic