This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTO shaft stuck, won't slide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PTO shaft stuck, won't slide
    Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 5:31pm
The PTO shaft on my brush cutter is stuck (rusted). I've been trying to get PB Blaster to run down the shaft for a few days. I chained one end of the shaft to the hitch on my truck and the other end to the tractor draw bar and drug the truck around a bit. It's still stuck. Going to find a tree that won't move as easy as the truck and try again. Can I help myself any by heating it with a small propane torch, or beating it with a big hammer? Any other tricks that have worked well?
Sponsored Links

Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 9:42pm

Tie it to tree and truck. Put truck in drive. Get out of truck. Smack shaft with 2lb hammer up and down the full length of the shaft.

Of course your truck needs a automatic transmission and the shield needs to be slid out of the way, or removed from  the PTO shaft. I had a silage wagon that the shaft sat in the cradle at the perfect angle for water to fill in and rust it tight. About 3ft length rusted tight.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 9:47pm
What do you put in front of truck when shaft frees up? lol
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 10:01pm
Neiighbor had one he chained to a dump truck and put a 100+ horse tractor on the other end and dug holes in the gravel, he ended up bending the end, they cut a slitt the length of the shaft to get it apart then welded it together.
John (MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 10:20pm
So a steady pull is going to work better than a jerk? The D19 isn't weighted, I don't know but what it will spin out before the rust gives way. With the truck I could use a safety chain to catch it, if it comes loose while I beat the devil out of it. But I can put a lot more pressure on it with the tractor.
Boogerowen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogerowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 11:16pm
John, if you put enough heat on there, it WILL come loose...........I promise !!!ClapClap
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 1:48am
just rememberl...when you beat on it...it's gonna bend it, so it may not slide in and out as easy next time! i have learned thru the years...and now i have a special place in the shop for 1/2 of the shafts...sure saves alot of time and energy!
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:12am
Heat and hammering will do it; and I don't mean beating the he!! out of it!  LOL
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:53am
If you can immobilize the female end, get some one to use a big pipe wrench and maybe a "cheater" pipe on the handle to rotate the male end backwards from its normal rotation, it may beat out easier.  After time, the solid bar part of the shaft gets a bit of a twist in it.  When it gets jammed back into the hollow part, it gets really stuck.  
John (MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 3:53pm
SUCCESS! I chained one end to a big tree and the other to the tractor. Then I eased into it until the tractor spun out. I left as much tension on it as I could, got off and beat the $&@?! out of it with a 2x4. Then I backed up about 3 feet, and this time I hit her with a bit of a running start. The next thing you know it was in 2 pieces, the 2 it's suppose to be in. I wire brushed it, greased it, and learned a good lesson! I'll store it in 2 pieces from now on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic