This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7080 the good/bad/ugly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7080 the good/bad/ugly
    Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 10:37pm
just purchased a 750bu grain buggy and was thinking of using a 7080 to run it. i was wondering about the this tractor since i have never used an 7000 series before. this one hasnt been used in 5 yrs since the two brothers split up. the engine was rebuilt 1.5yrs before that. i dont know the hrs or the price but i do know its been taken care of very nicely. it has duals but i dont know if they are the snap-on type or axle type. i was told it was putting out 180+ when it was tested after the rebuild.
thanks for the info
if farming was easy everybody would be doing it
Sponsored Links

ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 10:41pm
 I am sure it was 180 plus. Most of them were 200 plus. We had one for years. Always was a horse. Just dont run the rpms up as fast as it will. We always run ours around 2200 in the field,never had any trouble with it. It would out pull our 8070 ps with ease. They dont bring much for the hp ,alot of people had engine trouble,and they had a bad reputation for that. Depends if its a maroon belly or black belly on price.
                                                   IG
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
farmer_rob View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 10:46pm
im not sure which color belly it is.. i was talking to the dealer this afternoon who did the work on the engine and also lives around the corner from these people. the brother that still has this tractor hated it so when he was on his own he never used it.. im thinking it should be around 7000-8500$ i could be wrong thou
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 12:37am
I can help on this one. I run 7080 sn 3679 on our 800bu Parker. Bobydoll has long axles with spinout dauls. The 4 rear tires all have fuild. I wouldn't want to be without it. I added 2 more remotes to give me 4 now. I cart in 1st gear high range. I do have to stop to go into 2nd. I can start up a full cart in 2nd gear high range. Run up the foot throttle to 1600 rpms and quick release it. While the tractor coasts, quick clutch and shift to 3rd. This is done with the floor buttons on the low side. If the field isn't to hilly, I can shift to 3rd gear high range and high on the floor.
I like the rear side window of the 7080 over the 8070. The 8070's window is smaller and the cab post is in the way of the grain flow while you unload. The roof overhang blocks afternoon sun and your view of the grain piles over the box sides. The foot thottle is nice to have while unloading. The 7060 can give you a PS, but BIG 1000 PTO's are rare in them. The 8070 can give you FWA, PS, and a throttle at your right hand. The 7080 lets you turn the seat to the right while running along side the combine, and to the left to unload. The 7080 gives you a far greater view of all that you want and need to see. The view is everything while unloading with an 18" auger. We have a 7080 and an 8070 PS FWA. I'll take the later 7080 on the graincart everytime over the 8070, and I love them both.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 1:53am
my 7080 was a horse too..until it finally gave up!! it was turning a little over 200 hp, i bought it used...(and it was used...HARD, and was kinda ugly) but it served me well for 7-8 years! thinkin..i paid $6000 for it on an auction. it doesn't owe me anything! and as ilgleaner says, don't run it as fast as it'll go! don't need to! i was also happy with the fuel effiency of it. i could go a very long day disking with it, alot longer than the nieghbors weed green tractors!
farmer_rob View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 3:40pm
which is transmission is better or  which one should i stay clear of

thanks rob
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 3:58pm
You don't have a choice on a 7080.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 7:43pm

I have black belly 7080 only had for two springs.  It will out pull the NH 8870 in the fleet and I have 1/10 the money in it compared to my cohorts 8870.  Very gutsy tractor.  Mine had a very rough past and had to give it alot of TLC but all in all I don't regret buying it even if I don't always know if I needed it. Like everyone else said keep the rpm's under check.

TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 5:33pm
They are a beast. Try and find one that has not been overpulled/worked. Guys around these parts worked them way too hard and they would take it because they were very well built. No need to rev past 2300, theyve already made all their torque long before that. I think you'll be happy with one on a 750 cart, my 2 cents adjusted for inflation, Trev.
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 6:06pm
I have a black belly 7080, walks away with anything put behind it. As its been said keep the rpms down. You get lots of power for a cheap price, was using mine this fall to pull a 11 shank mintil at almost full depth with singles at 4.5 mph. Then it blew a piston, had to give it complete overhaul and found out that when it was last overhauled the machanics put some of the connecting rods in backwords. Put 1500 hours on it like that. Long story short, its back runnin and will pull the front end of the ground driving empty.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 7:17pm
If it had the "slotted" rod bearing inserts on a 4-ring piston, the rods should have been installed backwards (#'s away from the camshaft) and even if they were incorrectly installed, that didn't make the piston fail.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic