This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers Self propelled combine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers Self propelled combine?
    Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 11:09am
I knew about the 100 and Super 100, but this?

German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Sponsored Links

AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 11:11am
looks almost like a 40 with a G mounted on top?

German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 11:24am
That's just what it is and there is a G engine to power the combine down on the right where you can't see. I believe there were 5 built to government specs during WWII. There are at least 2 known to exist, possibly 3.  John Mrotek owned one and I thought I read one was in England.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
junkman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 11:24am
What ever it is, I could put it to good use.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 11:40am
Thats cool, did allis make them or did some other company build them?
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 12:32pm
Allis Chalmers built them.
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Allis Chalmers built them.

I believe Allis Chalmers only supplied the parts. These were built by universitys if I remember correctly. The combine is ran by a Briggs or maybe Wisconsin ? The G just runs the drive wheels.
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 8:33pm
I thought I saw a picture of one with a G hood down on the combine drive, musta been in my head. Here is John Mrotek's old combine from the other side and it appears to have a Wis engine. 
One the Aumann action page it mentions John purchased this combine from the University of Tn.  I never heard anything about these combines being built buy Universities before. I would like to hear some other input on this.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 14 Jun 2011 at 8:53pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 8:47pm
Well the picture link takes you to the picture page. Go to the fifth to the last picture and you can see the engine on the side.
Here is a story about who built them and where.

Stan Wolf's Allis-Chalmers SP-40 self-propelled combine was born in 1940 of a perceived wartime necessity to decrease the country's reliance on foreign markets for strategic grains. In this particular case, the War Department was interested in developing varieties of Rape (Brassica napus), an annual plant in the cabbage family, for its seed oil, which is a key ingredient in synthetic rubber.

As part of that effort, the Army Corps of Engineers was handed the task of developing a self-propelled test-plot combine, and they chose to work with Allis-Chalmers on the project. Essentially, the Model SP-40 consists of a Model 40 pull-type combine mounted on a small truck chassis. The wheels and tires are standard military issue, complete with brake drums (but no brake shoes). An Allis-Chalmers Model G rear-engine tractor is mounted above the combine and powers the drive wheels and hydraulic system. A separate, air-cooled Wisconsin engine was mounted low and on the side of the unit to power the harvesting and threshing components. The operator's station was high above the cutter, which offered excellent crop visibility, but with its narrow 40-inch width, the machine can be easily upset.

Stan's Model SP-40 is one of five built, and one of three known to survive. This particular unit was assembled at the Letterkenny Army Base near Chambersburg, Pa. 'I obtained it about 20 years ago after it had been stored at the base for over 40 years,' Stan says. 'It was painted army khaki, but I chose Allis orange when I restored it.' One of the other two SP-40s is in a museum in Oxford, U.K. The other is in the hands of a private collector

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 14 Jun 2011 at 8:51pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 8:49pm
Maybe that combine could be called an Allis Chambersburg.

Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 9:00pm

Yep, built by the Corp of Engineers. I knew I remembered something about the University being involved, couldn't remember the whole story. Ken Eder in North Carolina owns John's now. I thought someone on here showed a picture of a forth one up in Michigan or Minnesota (Canada ?) ? It is sitting right next to the road but is really rough.

donslick72@gmail.com View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donslick72@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 9:02pm
The one I saw at the New York show had a Briggs engine on it, 10 horse  power, I think Don
OrangeKiwi(NZ) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangeKiwi(NZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

That's just what it is and there is a G engine to power the combine down on the right where you can't see. I believe there were 5 built to government specs during WWII. There are at least 2 known to exist, possibly 3.  John Mrotek owned one and I thought I read one was in England.

The photo posted above is of John Mrotek's combine at his sale where it sold to a North Carolina buyer for $25000.
There is an article in the Winter 2008 issue of O.A.N. discussing these self propelled 40 combines. It lists a Stanley Wolf of Pennsylvania as owner of one and he displayed it at Marion, Ohio in 1991. It was painted military green when he bought it.
In the article there's a photo of a 40 S.P. combine. Whether it's belongs to S. Wolf, I don't know but the picture shows what appears to be 2 Wisconsin motors mounted on either side of the combine. There is no model G engine mounted on top as in the above photo. Actually that's where the operator sits (further back) on this other machine.
The O.A.N. article also states that one machine is in England, believed to be a conversion done by the N.I.A.B. (a plant research organization) in Cambridge, U.K.
Also I saved a pic from a clearing sale advert. It appears to be a similar conversion. Stupid me didn't save any of the details, though.

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 9:58pm
Here are some photos of John Mrotek's Self Propelled Combine miniature replica at Dale's show last year.Talked to John for a few minutes,very nice man.He even took the plastic cover off so I could get a few pics.

Should have got a little closer and got some better pics.Need to slow down at these events and take full advantage of these events.

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 14 Jun 2011 at 10:01pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 10:19pm
   I was just comparing the model to the real thing. There are alot of differences.

Edited by Rfdeere - 14 Jun 2011 at 11:48pm
Tramway Guy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tramway Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 11:09pm
One stupid question.......since the 'G' didn't come out till 1948, how could this combine have been built during WWII????
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 5:49am
Originally posted by Tramway Guy Tramway Guy wrote:

One stupid question.......since the 'G' didn't come out till 1948, how could this combine have been built during WWII????

Good question. I would guess they were in development during the war?? but weren't put into production till material was available.
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 11:06am
I learn something every day from this site! WOW !
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic