This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

front porch option ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front porch option ?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 11:58am
OK, I've demolished the entire ,original front porch (4 x 8ish ) that's 8' above driveway grade. The 'contractor' has decided to drill 4 holes, fill with concrete, then 'tie' 6by6 posts, 8' tall to them to support a 4' x 3' porch. Hasn't said anything about replacing the 5' tall retaining wall that USED to be there to keep the 6'x8' x 5' mass of 'dirt' from 'relocating' into the driveway.

If you're cornfused...welcome to my NIGHTMARE ! At the very least, I'd toss 12' tall 6 by6 INTO the holes, so 4' below grade, 8' exposed.

Ideally I'd have  a 6  wide by 8 long by 8 tall 'room', and get some badly needed storage space.Think of it as a cold cellar,but with outside door to access it ?

Of course the 'contractor' can't lay block, so pretty sure , it'll never happen.

Sorry for the rant..I've spent two weeks 'prepping' the area , including 5 solid hours in near 35*C heat with a friend removing 260 cu ft of dirt,rock and block and 3 SLABS of concrete yesterday.
Luckily I bartered some Kubota time for dumping ALL of that material at a neighbour's property. That deal saved me $500+ in 'tipping' fees.

sigh.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 12:47pm
you can fill the holes with concrete and then SET the posts on top with anchors... but your not going to get any SIDE LOAD SUPPORT to hold back the dirt.... AS you said, if you want SIDE LOAD, you need a concrete / block retaining wall.....

Extra storage is ALWAYS NICE !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 2:28pm
Too bad you can't "fire" the "contractor" and do the job your way. Setting the posts in the hole is the best way. And if you have room make it larger for more storage space.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 3:16pm
Floated option 'd' to them....and will have the precast stair guy come out. He installed a 6 stepper unit 2 years ago, hoping he can offer an alternative to the 'contractor's special' !!!! WHY should I have to PAY him for HIS labour and materials !! He ain't WORKING.

Oh well....if you don't hear from me in 3 days, call cops to look under wife's new porch project.

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 4:45pm

Well Jay,,,,,Wink,,,ole Buddy,,,, old Pal,,,,,,Wink,,,I feel for you,,,I REALLY DO,,,,!!!!
 Just don't do anything Rash or too all of a sudden,,such as trying to push the "Contractor" into one of the holes for the posts,,,,LOL Errrr,,something tells me he might be a shade taller and maybe even much fewer years,,,,,,LOLLOL
 That contractor ain't kin to ole Hoffa,,is he,,??LOLLOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 5:35pm
Well I CAN get the Kubota into the area, and it digs 6' down, need a 'good base' , right ??
Can't see what the problem is, slab on grade for 6 by 8 building, concrete block, poured slab for roof/porch deck, 36" door.OH yeah 'free standing', 1" from house so NO permits should be needed.
Will need 44 bags on concrete, and get back my cement mixer from neighbour down the road... has to be done before noon as porch project is on the west side of the house, gets a tad 'warm', maybe not NM warm but yeesh 35*c is close to 100Fin degrees of HOT !!!

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 9:02pm

Chit Jay,,,,only 100°,,,,,ONLY 100°, ? That is cruising temps for this country,,,we've had 105° +/-  every day since,,,,since,,,well, trust me,,, it been a long timeLOL
 AND, just so you got an idee,,,every 1° above 100°,,makes you start believing there might really be a Hell down there,,,GULP,,,Wink
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 11:01pm
Just a thought, if you need a retaining wall and you are 8ft to grade from threshold to driveway why not make a concrete bunker room under the porch with concrete porch floor. That would take care of the dirt washing, give you storage and solid porch deck. Other thought get a conex shipping box, dig down and tile parameter build porch on top. That would have a big door on 1 end and you could put a walk in door on the side. Give up on contractor sense and use farmer logic. The work it's taking to get a 3ft by 4ft porch seems like a lot of work for something you the homeowner may not want. The guy paying the bill should have last say.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 11:29pm
Brother Joe-  Jay is in Ontario... he's got 100F temps, and 100% humidity right now...

It's kinda like... well... he needs GILLS...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 2:47am

Well,,Good Golly,,,Dave Kamp,,,!!!  That right there could quite possibly cause a grown man to consider some some serious alternatives,,,,like staying in a tub full of cool water and the heck with any outside work,,,,,,Wink,,,regardless what the Contractor OR his momma might want to say,,,,,LOL and,,,and,,,there is always tamarrow,,,Clap OH,,and PEACE to all of ya'll.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 2:51am

BY THE WAY,,,,I distinctly remember a vacation we went to go visit our #2 Son in Panama City, Fl,,,Chit,,,you even sweat at night with the home A/C going night and day,,,,,LOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 6:44am
re: The guy paying the bill should have last say.

hahahahahahahahahaha.......

The 'contractor' is my wife's PERFECT, KNOWS ALL son.... and you think I should have the last say......

hahahahahahahahahahaha...

like I'm going to 'win' ??

hahahahahahahaha...

I love you guys, allowing me to vent my frustrations is a godsend, really.

yes 'concrete bunker' is what I want,beats forking out $100 a hr to the 'contractor'....

Already called the precast stair company we used 2 years ago ,to see about 'options', Have priced materials for  slab on grade(500 ) and blocks (1500 ).

It's MUGGY here already and MORE rain on the way......

oh well, wish I had a passport....

thanks guys !!!!

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 11:51am
Even if you did have a passport, you would not want to be here. Weather here is similar to what you have. Hope you can get your issue resolved. Maybe we can’t help but will always listen
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 11:57am
I appreciate being able to 'vent' to those that care ! I know,I'm in a no win situation but,sigh...
oh well....
if my mason hadn't been killed by a rebounding deer, HE would have had BUILT the bunker in a day....
dbl sigh....

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2024 at 8:33am

Well,,,Jay,,,I know how most people has to maintain Great relations,,,Eeerrrrr,,,, maybe just "good" relations (no real need to get over exuberent,Ya know) with one's kin,,else be forced to sleep alone,,,LOL SO,,we understand, Jay,,,we really do!  But be careful and tread lightly,,,even "Toots" won't save you IF,,,and she would not be a good partner,,,,LOLLOL
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2024 at 10:03am
Jay, call Mike Holmes.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic