This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Charlies D10 Series 2 Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 264 Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charlies D10 Series 2 Project
    Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 9:40pm
I just picked up a D10 Series 2. I plan to use it as a working tractor for spraying and running a side-mount sickle for cutting around my pond and banks. I'll do a tune-up and see where I go after that. It runs and shifts well. I do get a bit of noise when the clutch is depressed. I might be splitting the tractor soon.

The paint looks original and is well worn but solid color, so I will likely keep it for more of the original look. I like the color, so I need to find a good match; it's a 63 so assuming PO2

I've never seen exhaust on a D Series as this tractor has; it Looks factory, though.

Sponsored Links

264 Charlie View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 264 Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 9:41pm
Sorry for the huge phots, I try and not do that again.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 10:27pm
when you push in the clutch, you get a "noise".... can you grease the throw out bearing from the bottom  ??? ....... Had a noise on a couple "B" tractors and that solved it..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 10:32pm
you camera takes photos about 4000 x 3000 pixels... This site does not "auto resize"... I opened your photos in PAINT and resized to 18% to get them about 750 x 550 size.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 264 Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 10:36pm
Thank you, great to know. I will do a service on it next week and see what's what.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 10:42pm
does it have an under hood muffler... or just a straight pipe off the manifold ??

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 10:51pm
Nice little tractor for sure. Is there much play in the steering? If there is not, it's probably a low hour tractor. The steering boxes seem to be a bit of a weak point on these. I really appreciate how fast 4th gear is. Thanks for the pictures.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 264 Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 11:37pm
It has a muffler.   I did see that a low-clearance model is an option; this is the first time I've seen one.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 264 Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2024 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Eric B Eric B wrote:

Nice little tractor for sure. Is there much play in the steering? If there is not, it's probably a low hour tractor. The steering boxes seem to be a bit of a weak point on these. I really appreciate how fast 4th gear is. Thanks for the pictures.

There is not much play, the pedals don't have wear, and from what I can tell, it's only got one coat of paint.

Edited by 264 Charlie - 19 Jun 2024 at 1:58am
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 6:30am
On those series II & III tractors the noise with the clutch pushed down is most likely the pilot bushing on the transmission driveshaft instead of the clutch throwout bearing. If grease on the throwout bearing doesn't cure it, that's where to look. That pilot bearing has no way to lubricate it, therefore it wears out quickly. I've encountered many of those series II & III tractors having that issue. 
   Yes that Low discharge exhaust is an Option. I've seen a few however I've never seen on that the muffler wasn't burnt out. It's nice that you have the normal exhaust factory hole filler.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
GeneD14 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 9:28am
Charlie,
Great find!
The D10 was always one of my favorites.

Edited by GeneD14 - 19 Jun 2024 at 9:29am
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 2:15pm
That tractor has the under hood exhaust. My neighbor has a D12 like that.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 264 Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 7:35pm
I noticed the PTO stays on all the time. I'll dive into that repair as soon as my repair manual arrives.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2024 at 7:42pm
That tractor was a drawbar work tractor mostly. If the 3 point had been used muck, the yokes wouldn't stand up like they do. JMHO, Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 5:17am

Re the PTO stays operating

Your D-10 has Live PTO. It is engaged and dis-engaged by the Upright Lever located directly rearward of the Hydraulic Control Lever.

Dis-engage by pushing the Lever fully rearward. Lock it in place by pushing it outboard and locking behind a little Tab.

Gary

Your D-10 also has Live Hydraulic. The Hyd. pump is located on the rear of the Tractor above the PTO. It is driven by a long shaft that is splined in to the Flywheel.

Pushing the Foot Clutch does not stop the Hydraulic Pump.

Just 2 of the great features of the Model D-10 and D-12.

Edited by Gary - 20 Jun 2024 at 5:25am
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 6:51am
As the Series II & III PTOs are Independent and use a separate clutch you want to leave it engaged unless you are hooking up an implement or have one hooked up that you don't want it running. Tuning it off and locking the brake to keep it from turning is just like holding the engine clutch peddle down all the time, thus causing undue wear on the clutch pack.
   It would be a help to you to get an OPERATORS manual for a series II D10/12 to learn all about the tractor's particular features and how to properly use them.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 264 Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2024 at 9:14am
Thank you for the input. I have the manuals on order and expect them to be ready next week.

Currently, the PTO lever does not disengage the PTO. It stays running regardless of position.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2024 at 6:44am
Originally posted by 264 Charlie 264 Charlie wrote:

Thank you for the input. I have the manuals on order and expect them to be ready next week.

Currently, the PTO lever does not disengage the PTO. It stays running regardless of position.

Most likely the PTO Brake is worn out from improper use or mis-adjusted.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic