This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini split AC and heat ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini split AC and heat ???
    Posted: 29 May 2024 at 5:49pm
Seeing more and more of these- how do the work out say in a 1200 sq. ft home ? They just kinda like an window ac unit but with heat ?
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2024 at 8:20pm
They are like an AC / Heating unit in a hotel room. Yes basically a glorified Window Air conditioner with heat. Usually pretty efficient for AC ,not so much on the Heating, properly sized unit should work adequately in a 1200 square foot house
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 4:09am
Brother has one in a workshop space, was not happy as to the outside unit mounting and appearance as has a Geo Heat Pump for his main house with nothing visible and no holes for lines. I had a larger Heat Pump style PTAC installed in my workshop when we built it. Was fine initially now regret that machine as inadequate in winter, runs incessantly when operate it. Awkward as always buried alive by something and may end up installing a basic HVAC system to replace it now that is going on 14 years old. Looked and discounted mini split units as no better.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 6:22am
SIL has one,seems happy, then again she only has 2 zones or 'heads' and doesn't heat/cool the basement. Nobody does  ductwork anymore ??
'Sipposed' to be energy efficient, only run on electricity so when power goes out...brrrrr.
The big issues for me
1) ACTUAL cost to run
2) lack of whole house air circulation
3) noise,especially if 'head' is in bedroom
4) location of outside piece
5) backup ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 6:54am
In the fall of 2022, we needed a new heating system. One of my sons-in-law, who is a contractor, recommended a heat pump (mini-split) system. A contractor friend of his (they work on many projects together) came and looked our house over for a system. 

Our house was built in the late 1800's and has had some insulation, mostly in the ceilings. We had used a fuel oil, forced air heating system, then a wood-pellet forced air heating system. We were using a minimum of 2 bags of pellets per day during the heating season and more on colder days, which equates to about $12 or more, per day for heating

The HVAC contractor recommended, and designed, a system using five mini-split "heads"; one 12k in each of our three bedrooms, a 12k in our sunroom and one 18k in our "great room" (kitchen, dining, living room). The system on the south side of the house (two bedrooms and sunroom) are supplied by one compressor. The great room and other bedroom each have their own compressor on the north side. We could have done one compressor, but, at the time it was only $100 more for separate compressors, and it saved almost that much in line kits.

Our system is Comfort-Aire (which I am told is a Carrier subsidiary). This contractor stocks parts and had our entire system in stock. I have been told that Mitsubishi is the "Cadillac " of mini-split systems, but the estimate we got from the local guy that installs them was almost three times the price of our system.

We could not be happier with our system. In January, 2023, we had one day that we got down to -28 F and the system continued to heat, but it did defrost a lot. We are able to control the temperature of each room independently, which was very tough with the forced air system. Changing from heating to cooling is as simple as shutting each head off with the remote control and restarting in the other mode.

Cooling is just as good as heating, with no wrestling window units in and out of windows. We can easily open windows when we want to. Both heating and cooling are whisper quiet, which was not the case when we had window AC units.

For the calendar year 2023, our electric bills totaled $2587.20 (average of $215.60 per month). We have an electric water heater, dryer and ovens. This also includes the electricity for our Christmas display (thousands of lights), Halloween display (many spotlights) and the electricity I use in the garage (including welders and air compressor).

Our system ended up costing about $10,000. I did a lot of the installation work myself. I hung all the heads, installed piping, set the compressors and hooked up all the electrical. All the HVAC contractor had to do was check connections and pull vacuum on the lines.

I am more than happy to answer any questions.

Sorry so long!!!

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 7:10am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

SIL has one,seems happy, then again she only has 2 zones or 'heads' and doesn't heat/cool the basement. Nobody does  ductwork anymore ??
'Sipposed' to be energy efficient, only run on electricity so when power goes out...brrrrr.
The big issues for me
1) ACTUAL cost to run
2) lack of whole house air circulation
3) noise,especially if 'head' is in bedroom
4) location of outside piece
5) backup ?

I think I addressed numbers 1-3 of your concerns above.

Compressors can be wall or ground mounted. We have plenty of room , so ours are ground mounted on concrete bases.

We still have our pellet furnace and wood fireplace, but neither has been used since installing the mini-splits.

As far as if the electricity goes out, every heating system is disabled then the power goes out except maybe wood (and our wood fireplace has fans to distribute the heat and cool the fireplace unit). We do have plans to install an automatic standby generator soon.

Is it perfect, no. But right now, it's by far the best option I have found for us.

By the way, our electricity costs are among the highest in the country at just under 17 cents per kwh. In 2023, we used 17,031 kwh.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 7:31am
About 10 years ago (maybe more) I had a Geothermal system installed when the oil furnace (hot water baseboard) needed major repairs. I had only been using the oil furnace during the transitional periods and w whole house pellet stove when it got below freezing continuously. I'm very happy with the Geothermal system and would do it again for anything.  I'd still been using the pellet stove during really cold spells and that let me keep the door from the basement into the garage open to heat the garage, however with the price jump on wood pellets last fall, I refused to pay those prices. I was suprised to see the electric bill was actually less with the geothermal alone, not using the pellet stove at all. Best of all with the geothermal, when you put your hand near the vents, it feels warm, unlike any heat pumps I've experienced. With a heat pump the thermometer may show 70 degrees, but it still fells cold. Last winter I just used a small propane heater in the garage on days I had something to do and that is what I believe I'll continue with.  I'll save the pellets and stove for if the geothermal ever has a problem when heat is needed.  As for summer cooling it only used about half the electric of the central AC it replaced.  

Edited by PaulB - 30 May 2024 at 2:10pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 10:04am
Paul, I found similar results from the electric bill using my pellet furnace compared to the heat pumps. 

My pellet furnace had four electric motors; one for the pellet auger, one for the firebox stirrer, one for the fan for air to the firepot and a fan motor that circulates heat. The auger and stirrer are cycling on and off several times every minute. Although they are small motors, they take more electricity to start than they do to run continuously.

The heat pumps do cycle on and off as the demand for heat is there, but they may cycle a few times per hour rather than several times per minute like the pellet furnace.

Everyone tends to think of using electricity for heat is similar to all heating elements that we grew up with, which was basically the heat created from a dead short (element). Heat pumps are more like running your refrigerator for cooling or reversing for heat. It is all generated by a compressor and there are no heating elements.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 11:50am
A friend had a mini split installed to heat & cool the well insulated loft area ( 6'6" can stand in center but not along the sides) he uses as his man cave above the 3 car garage at home they purchased a few years ago. He's not said anything about their electric bill but it does  heat & cool the area well. Is not geothermal, just a unit that mounts to outside wall.

Edited by KJCHRIS - 30 May 2024 at 11:51am
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 2:21pm
Replaced a 20+ year-old heat pump last May with an updated version and it cut my electric bill way back. I still have an old unit which is cooling and heating the living area in the basement. Both units have heat strips for back up if it gets too cold but here in the sunny south, I haven't had that problem in a number of years. I am getting to the age where I need to add a heat pump to the house at the farm so that I don't have to depend on the Fisher wood heater and window a/c units.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2024 at 4:14pm
A mini split is similar to a standard ari conditioner... The compressor sets outside on a pad or hangs on the outer wall.. The "coil and fan" that you would normally see above your Furnace, is the "inside unit"... you can hand it on a wall in the room or area you want to heat and cool.. The copper tubes run thru the wall to the Outside unit... It differs from a standard air conditioner that you dont need "duct work" thru the house, so it is an advantage for an older house or something that had electric heat base boards and never had duct work... The "outside unit" can be sized to run 1-2-3-4 "inside units" so you can put one in each room if the rooms are sectioned off or far apart..

The BIG difference is in the HEAT.. The mini splits do not have Resistance heaters.. When you run the AIR CONDITIONER, you get COLD inside and it blows off the HEAT outside into the atmosphere.. Think of running that BACKWARD in the winter to put heat INTO the house...( like a heat pump)... The Efficience of the mini splits is normally much better than a standard air conditioner.. just by design..

Edited by steve(ill) - 30 May 2024 at 4:16pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 7:22am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Seeing more and more of these- how do the work out say in a 1200 sq. ft home ? They just kinda like an window ac unit but with heat ?

Don't waste your money.

The local electric co-op came out with a deal where we qualified for three 18,000-btu units that they would re-imburse us our total investment plus some providing what we got met with their requirements.

We had to put up the money initially and then the co-op reimbursed us.

I actually made a bit of money off the deal as I did the entire installations myself and our reimbursement was about $300 per unit more than our outlay.

HOWEVER....., everybody in the country around here jumped in on that deal and they have acquired a nickname = GoodYear Heaters = good for about a year.

Of the three we got, two of them were dead in the water in less than a year.

One is still sort of hanging in there but it is nothing to brag about.

There is no such thing as one of these making what I would call heat; anything below 40° and they will freeze over and quit, giving a constant DF code.

There are a bejillion companies selling them and they are all made in the same place by the same company; there is no such thing as getting a good one.

After we started having problems with ours, I did a bit of research and found out that they use recycled Aluminum/potmetal to make all the tubing in the evaporators and condensers; and, with the constant expansion and contraction, the recycled material has no structural integrity and will fatigue and start acquiring hair-line cracks by the millions and leaking refrigerant from a million tiny fractures = no such thing as repairing a leak as there will be millions of them.

What they also don't tell you is they come pre-charged with a refrigerant that has been outlawed; and, once they leak down, you can't get the stuff to re-charge them.

Even though I made a few bucks and ended up with the mini-split units for free, I wish I had never seen the things and did not have the holes in my wall and the eyesore units hanging both inside and outside.

We have two that are completely useless and they are just hanging there, inside and out, not doing anyone any good --- just eyesores.

Even at their best, they were never anything spectacular.

We mounted the outside units on brackets screwed to the walls; and, when they are running, they reverberate and sound like a bull-dozer running outside somewhere; they are definitely not quite.

The idea and concept is good but the currently available product is short-lived junk. 

I am glad I kept my two big GE window units; those babies will refrigerate this place on the hottest/humidest days even though they dim every light in the neighborhood when they kick on --- you can't get anything out of something that you don't put anything in.  
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 8:33am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 8:43am
Change the name sticker and that Daikin is identical to the Pioneers we got.

Good luck trying to get anything out of any warranty as all we ever got was a run-around and the company that sold them to us disappeared just before they quit working.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 8:45am
I can't say much about the home use only, or cheap import stuff built to a price point but I have designed many of these things into structures. I favor Bard overall, but Tempstar, and Rheem have also served very well. We've had problems with Carrier branded equipment more than the others, but that is controls, (electronics) issues, not much in mechanics of the sets. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
alan-nj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 12:55pm
i installed 2 mini-splits in my house at the beginning of last summer.  12,000 and 18,000 BTU units.  Bought the Mr Cool brand units and installed them myself.  First time in my 66 years that I had AC.  My house is all electric and predominately on one floor.  Put the large unit in the living/dining room area and the smaller in the master bead room, at the other end of the house.  So far they have been great.  Wished I had done it a long time ago.  Kept the entire living area cool last summer and warm in the winter.  The only electric baseboard heat I had to run this winter was in the bathroom and downstairs in the laundry room.  They are very quiet.  The indoor heads make a minimum amount of noise, a fraction of what a window AC unit makes, and the outdoor units are so quiet you have to be with-in a few feet of them to know that they are running.
Haven't compared electric usage yet, but will soon.  But considering that I used to heat with baseboard heat, which had 5 220 v 20 amp circuits required to now using one 20 amp 220 line for the 18,000 BTU unit and a 110v 20amp circuit for the 12,000 BTU unit,
I'm expecting to come out ahead.  Before I got them I researched a bit and found that other folks with electric heat like I had experienced about a 50% savings on their electric bill
If ignorance is bliss, than happy days are here again.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2024 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by BuckSkin BuckSkin wrote:

Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Don't waste your money.

The local electric co-op came out with a deal where we qualified for three 18,000-btu units that they would re-imburse us our total investment plus some providing what we got met with their requirements.

We had to put up the money initially and then the co-op reimbursed us.

I actually made a bit of money off the deal as I did the entire installations myself and our reimbursement was about $300 per unit more than our outlay.

HOWEVER....., everybody in the country around here jumped in on that deal and they have acquired a nickname = GoodYear Heaters = good for about a year.

Of the three we got, two of them were dead in the water in less than a year.

One is still sort of hanging in there but it is nothing to brag about.

There is no such thing as one of these making what I would call heat; anything below 40° and they will freeze over and quit, giving a constant DF code.

There are a bejillion companies selling them and they are all made in the same place by the same company; there is no such thing as getting a good one.

After we started having problems with ours, I did a bit of research and found out that they use recycled Aluminum/potmetal to make all the tubing in the evaporators and condensers; and, with the constant expansion and contraction, the recycled material has no structural integrity and will fatigue and start acquiring hair-line cracks by the millions and leaking refrigerant from a million tiny fractures = no such thing as repairing a leak as there will be millions of them.

What they also don't tell you is they come pre-charged with a refrigerant that has been outlawed; and, once they leak down, you can't get the stuff to re-charge them.

Even though I made a few bucks and ended up with the mini-split units for free, I wish I had never seen the things and did not have the holes in my wall and the eyesore units hanging both inside and outside.

We have two that are completely useless and they are just hanging there, inside and out, not doing anyone any good --- just eyesores.

Even at their best, they were never anything spectacular.

We mounted the outside units on brackets screwed to the walls; and, when they are running, they reverberate and sound like a bull-dozer running outside somewhere; they are definitely not quite.

The idea and concept is good but the currently available product is short-lived junk. 

I am glad I kept my two big GE window units; those babies will refrigerate this place on the hottest/humidest days even though they dim every light in the neighborhood when they kick on --- you can't get anything out of something that you don't put anything in.  

That's certainly not my experience. 

We live on the Canadian border (about 60 miles from Montreal and the same from Ottawa). Our mini-splits have been our sole source of heat for the last two winters. Granted our last two winters have been relatively mild, but below-zero temperatures are very common in our area. 

You have to do some research on the system you are buying and the SEER rating is significantly different from model to model. 

Before buying, I spoke with several customers of the guy I bought from, one being my daughter. She had her system for several years, with no problems.

I don't know anything about your system, but everyone that I have talked to that has a heat pump mini-split system has been very happy.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2024 at 6:51pm
About 5 years ago we installed a 18K heat pump in our 1160 sq.ft. home to replace the electric baseboard heating system. Left the baseboards in the kitchen, bathrooms and one very small bedroom. It is one level home and has a 3' crawl space so it was ideal for ducted system. The savings in heating costs more or less balances out the operating cool cost for the wonderful summer cooling.
Jack of all trades, master of none
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2024 at 7:42pm
Best thing I did on new house was Geologic Ground Source on build. We had to go on backup electric heat twice in twelve years, one condenser failed the other being a wiring fault.
On HP house bill around $200/mo, and on backup resistance heat close to $700. Been considering a wood burner backup and supplemental, wife does not want the mess, I like wood heat and have plenty resource on farm.

Can see power outages coming, not stupid as well know the system demand here with available gennys’ soon as coal retirements cascade black and brown outs will be on us.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic