This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

175 Making oil again/still

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 175 Making oil again/still
    Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 5:08pm
Last winter I brought my 175 into the shop to address the issue of diesel getting into the engine oil.  I took the injection pump to my local shop and they put new seals in it.  I also replaced the lift pump with a new one from AGCO.  The tractor did not get used too much this year.  A couple of tractor rides and using the rotary mower a few times.

Starts and runs great.  I also put a new cap on the tank from Steiner/DJS that is supposed to be vented.  If not vented, could this be the issue?

I am running out of ideas here.

Many thanks in advance.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 7:42pm
Umbrella seals flipped over or torn?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 8:21pm
What are the odds of removing the camshaft driven fuel pump (making a plate to cover the hole) and using a length of 5/16" or 3/8" fuel line hose to slip onto the two steel lines with simple hose clamps and running like that ?? to eliminate the possibility of the lift pump. With gravity feed to the injection pump, if you keep the tank 1/3 full or more all the time, I don't see that this would cause any issues ?? unless the fuel filters have that much friction getting fuel thru them ??   RoosaMaster pumps sure never had an issue with doing it this way. Perkins sold those engines around the world in dozens and dozens of applications where maybe they needed some help with a low down tank that is quite a distance away from the injection pump.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 6:24am
AC720man the CAV pump dose not use umbrella seal's .

A lot of Ford's like the 5600 4 cylinder with a CAV injection pump dose not use a lift pump . Fuel tank sits same as 175 ,they work fine unless rotor blade pump fails on injection pump.
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 6:35am
The downside to this would be the lack of a hand primer. But, I'm pretty sure with the engine already primed and had been running, a quick install of this hose ( for test purposes) wouldn't cause any issues. What does Ford use for a hand primer when they don't have the lift pump ??

Edited by DrAllis - 24 Oct 2023 at 6:40am
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 6:52am
In the late 80's we had several small generator sets that were gravity fed to the CAV injection pumps. There were no manual primer pumps installed and they worked fine. With a filter change you just let the system bleed at the pump till fuel ran through and buttoned the system up. Very trouble free unless the pump gave problems.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 7:18am
NO primer , open bleeder on top filter (same filter the 175 has ) when filter is full ,open bleeder on injection pump the rotor pump will work it though .If u are brave enough  take the bleeder out and stand right in front of it and spin engine over ,you will get fuel sprayed on you .Been working on these Ford's with these systems for 40 years they work on the ford with CAV injection pumps .
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 7:37am
I removed the fuel pump and capped the opening. Went with a electric pump and works great and a lot easier to bleed out the system.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 7:56am
I once changed a Rosa Master injection pump on a 180, only to find the hand primer pump didn't work. it had about half a tank of fuel. I used a small air compressor with a blow gun with an extension in the fuel filler home of the fuel tank. We used a shop rag around the blow gun to hold some of the air in. 

We were able to force enough fuel through to get the air out of the pump. Crude? Yes, but it worked!
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 11:33am
Thanks Fred, learn something new today. Haven’t pulled a pump on a WD45 before therefore I was guessing.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2023 at 8:42am
DSeries4 - Based on the comments above and based on the design of the hand primer on the Perkins it seems like the base flange gasket has taken on a leak allowing diesel into the block and thus contaminating and adding to the observed oil level in the base. It might be as simple as a new primer pump or replace the base flange gasket on the primer pump - refresh oil and check level.  

HTH's ~ Orangeman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic