This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

170 gas run on!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 170 gas run on!
    Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 8:23pm
My 170 gasser wants to run on when you turn it off. Is carbon deposit causing it? What is most likely culprit? Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 8:30pm
Interesting post. My 170 has been doing a little of that too. Looking forward to the intel provided.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 9:16pm
Likewise
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 9:27pm
Very slow low idle (400-450 RPM the slower the better) with 30 to 60 seconds of idle time before key shut off. Late/incorrect ignition timing can make things hotter in the combustion chamber, which can cause run-on. Use cooler spark plugs like AC43-XL instead of 45-XL.  Better octane gasoline. Some competitors had enough problems with run-on they had an electric solenoid screwed into the main jet passage that would cut-off all fuel when the key was shut off. Last ditch effort would be just dump the clutch when shutting off the key.

Edited by DrAllis - 21 Oct 2023 at 9:34pm
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 9:29pm
 Is its low idle a little high? D17's are 550 - 575 low idle, not sure on a 170. An extra 50 rpm's can make a big difference. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 8:51am
Try setting carb idle screw to almost an “off” position. At cold it will shut off, Maybe after warmups the engine will barely “lope”?
Then if your throttle cable allows, you could have a small amount of low idle control via its throttle lever? So during operation, you could back throttle completely off, but then by moving throttle just a bit, catch engine before it dies. When you want it to shut off put throttle all the way back. If engine dies, then turn off key. Like DrAllis stated, if throttle is completely backed off & engine still lopes. Let it lope for 30-60 sec before turning off its key.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 12:37pm
Agree the low idle rpm and a bit of idle time before snuff.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 12:43pm
It's pretty much all related to the higher (8.0 to 1 ) compression ratio. Seldom would you ever get a D-17 to do this unless you were plowing and just rolled up to the end of the field and turned off the key. I've seen it before on a brand new 170/175 OH with new pistons (clean) and sleeves (not enough slow idle time), not that carbon build up may not aggravate it. One might also try leaving the transmission in any gear with the Power Director clutch in neutral/foot clutch pedal up. This would put a little drag on the engine and take away the rotating mass of the P.D. clutch housing itself.

Edited by DrAllis - 22 Oct 2023 at 1:16pm
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 3:50pm
Mine has a combine engine in it. I will try to get it to idle lower. Didn't do this before. I wonder if the gasoline has changed. Runs like a top though other than governor isn't quite right.I been killing it with clutch. Thanks, for info. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 4:23pm
Check Mechanical Advance weights and springs inside distributor. Remove distributor cap and turn rotor clockwise with your fingers and release. Clockwise is full advance and spring return is full retard. It should spring return to the full retard position on its own. If it doesn't, remove the rotor and oil the felt pad in the center of the distributor shaft with ATF. 6 drops is all you need. Wipe up excess with a rag. Put rotor back on and cycle the advance mechanism until it frees up and returns on its own to full retard position. If it doesn't free up or return to full retard, remove the points base plate and check 2 weights and 2 springs under base plate. Rust and missing springs or broken springs will prevent return to full retard and cause run on. 
   Ignition has to return to full retard at slow engine idle and coolant at normal temperature 190 degrees F or less. Preferably close to 180 degrees F. I have a WC with a WD45 Crank and WC flat top pistons and connecting rods. Compression Ratio was painstakingly calculated and is 8:1 and runs regular gas. It will run on if I don't bring it down to a slow idle before shutting down. I also had to put slightly heavier springs in the distributor to be sure it came to full retard at low idle. The old springs were 70 plus years old, heavily pitted, and very weak. The distributor is a Delco unit probably same as your 170. Springs from a Small Block Chevy are the same size and available from Ebay or other places in different strengths to dial it in. Click on below:

Edited by Phil48ACWC - 23 Oct 2023 at 6:17am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 4:29pm
Anyone who knows how to use an ignition timing light, should be setting the timing at FULL THROTTLE RPM's and when idled down fully to that less than 500 RPM range, the TDC line should show in the timing window. When you hit TDC at an very slow idle and F-25 (or whatever your tractor is) at full throttle the advance mechanism is working correctly.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 6:12am
I find it hard to believe timing or a stuck distributor advance has any effect on dieseling or run-on, since the distributor is not supplying any spark after the switch is turned off.

Edited by WF owner - 23 Oct 2023 at 6:13am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 6:19am
It can, if it is incorrect timing. Late timing makes the combustion chamber area run hotter. It is heat, that is hot enough to ignite the air/fuel mixture, that is causing the problem. I agree, when the key is off, timing has no affect. But hotter than normal combustion chamber temps do and timing can affect those temps.  Different engines are affected differently by this "dieseling" problem. Every F-series Gleaner with a GM292 engine was known for this, but if given enough 400 RPM idle time, they didn't do it.
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 7:11am
If the mechanical advance does not come to full retard at slow idle, it will idle faster and contribute to run on when shutting off the engine. In any event the mechanical advance must work properly to get the combination of performance at higher RPM and return to full retard at low idle to prevent dieseling or run on. Not to mention the ignition must return to full retard to allow ease of starting the engine especially when the engine is hot. All other parameters such as mixture, coolant temperature, spark plug heat range, valve condition especially exhaust valve, lack of intake manifold leaks, lack of throttle shaft leaks, good fitting carb butterfly, properly operating throttle linkage and governor must be in proper order. We used to fight all this on cars prior to fuel injection and computer engine management back in the '70's. Thank God for EFI.

Edited by Phil48ACWC - 23 Oct 2023 at 7:13am
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 8:34am
Oh yeah! Just remember the below zero cold starts with a carburetor. No 2 alike and you better get it right  from the beginning or it's not starting. I despize  my 95 Chv 454 for economy  and performance but that TBI will start at any condition you throw at it.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 10:06am
My WD-45 has 175 pistons in it. I've found that if the gas gets old it was to do that. It does finally shut off, it just wants to run a few extra seconds
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic