This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FPI timing mark WD45 Diesel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozrae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FPI timing mark WD45 Diesel
    Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 6:15pm
Hello, I'm trying to find what the manual calls the FPI mark, for timing the injection pump to the engine for a WD45 diesel. The AC manual say 'Rotate the engine until the FPI mark appears in the center of inspection opening....
An IT manual says 'Crank the engine until No. 1 piston is coming up on compression stroke and engine flywheel mark "FPI" is in the exact center of the timing hole.
I do not find any FPI mark on the flywheel. I also have a parts wd45 diesel tractor and cannot find an FPI mark on that flywheel either. 
Where else can I look?

Thanks
D15D, D17G, 170G, 175D, and two 5050FWA
Sponsored Links

Tom IA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 6:51pm
Should show in timing hole on left side of bell housing may have to clean fly wheel
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 9:45pm
The mark they are talking about is behind the window on the upper part of the injection pump itself. The only time the mark shows is when it is on NUMBER ONE.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 12:50pm
does that engine have a tdc hole for the timing pin to fit in the flywheel like the 262
Tom IA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 3:00pm
I was incorrect the mark is on the fly wheel back side there’s a plug on the adapter plate right close to the steering shaft pull the plug I think it’s inch pipe that’s where mine is

Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2023 at 3:42pm
To properly time the pump to the engine do the following. Remove the plug on the right front face of the bell housing located under the frame rail. Turn the engine over until you see the FPI mark. It must be centered in the hole. Remove the valve cover and make sure it is on top dead center on the front cylinder. Both push rods should be loose. If not your are on TDC on cylinder number 6. Turn motor until you get to TDC on cylinder number 1. From this point in the process DO NOT turn the motor any further. Once you are at TDC on cylinder number 1, install the injection pump by aligning the dots on the gears. You will know you are in time when these two things are present at the same time. Remove the two pipe plugs on the front of the injection pump spacer block and timing cover and make sure the pointer is aligned to the line scribed on the injection pump gear hub AND looking in the injection pump timing cover the beveled gear with a line machined vertically on its face will be one tooth to the right of the little cast triangular boss cast into the bottom of that window. If you haven’t watched Tom Foss video of this process please do. It will save you a ton of time and confusion. Ive done this many times and if you have any questions give me a call. 816 898 7277.
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
bozrae View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozrae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 7:29pm
Thank you everyone for your responses. I did locate the pipe plug in the bell housing plate. I have not looked for the FPI mark yet, but now I know where to look.
I was looking for the timing mark where you'd find one on the gas tractors and they are in a completely different area on the diesel flywheel.
Neither of the manuals show where to actually look for this mark, but they both do show where to find the marks on the pump gear and the pump head.

Is the FPI mark where it is actually supposed to fire or is it at TDC?

Thanks
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 7:56pm
pin should fit in that hole and in to ahole inthe flywheel and lockit in place at tdc or 180 mark in your should line up orbe real close when that pin locks inthe wheel if not you are 180 out  if the pump is out then you had better pull the valve cover and make sure both rockers are loose on #1 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2023 at 8:56pm
Where exactly does this pin go? I don’t recall seeing any hole in the flywheel.
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 9:19am
if it is the same as the 262 it goes in on the left side by the oil pan hole in the fly wheel may need to be cleaned out
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 6:35pm
Just worked on a WD45D today. There is no timing hole on the flywheel like there is on a series 1 262D in a D17

Edited by AC720Man - 24 Oct 2023 at 6:35pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 9:10pm
Ac720, ive timed 6 different 45 diesels and never saw a hole either. Thanks for clarifying.
bozrae View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozrae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2023 at 7:05am
I believe the timing pin is for the 'D' series diesel tractors and not the wd45 diesel.
I have a Series 2 D15 diesel with the timing pin. If I remember correctly you can unthread the pin then turn it around and it goes through bell housing plate and into the flywheel locking it into the correct position.
Here's a pic of the pin on the left side of the D15.

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2023 at 8:59pm
That is correct. Easiest diesel to time. I’m not sure why it wasn’t carried through to other models also. I guess the D15,D17, D19 were the only ones? I can only say that for sure on a series 1 D17 since I have one. D19 had the same Buda engine with a turbo. Not sure though. Sure makes it easy to time, just verify the marks line up in the timing window of the pump and your on the money.

Edited by AC720Man - 25 Oct 2023 at 9:02pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic