This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 white smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8070 white smoke
    Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 7:55pm
So I bought an 84 8070 to replace my burnt one about a year ago. Been good but recently it's seemed to have some white smoke when going downhill pulling wagons and maybe a little more white smoke than normal at cold startup. I did notice yesterday the temp gauge was barely off the bottom of the gauge while hauling loads.   Oil level is good, antifreeze level is good.   Is it just from being not up to operating temp and loading up with raw fuel or do I have an injector issue. Gonna put new thermostats in it tomorrow.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 8:05pm
Injectors in backwards ???   return line goes up against the valve cover, not away from the valve cover.
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 8:53pm
Nope they're in right, I do know the story of how that can easily happen.
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 8:56pm
Runs and pulls good otherwise, just thought maybe an injector not closing all the way or something.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 5:14am
Clogged fuel filter?
Clogged fuel tank fuel line?
It might be a beginning of some sort of fuel starvation??
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 7:58am
white smoke typically indicates cold combustion, or late injection timing. So knowing the coolant is not up to temp is a place to start, then a recheck of the timing is next, make sure it's at 19* BTDC. The nozzles could be in need of servicing, as they tend to kinda piss when they get tired, which can also lead to excess smoke under light loads. It'll run fine with a load because the fuel is getting in the cylinder, just isn't atomizing correctly so it shows up under those light to no load situations.

Edited by injpumpEd - 11 Oct 2023 at 7:59am
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2023 at 8:33am
The more I think about it, I'm leaning towards fuel restriction, as in fuel filter so I'm gonna put them on as well. But it definitely needs the thermostats as well
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic