This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 15 Traction Booster gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 15 Traction Booster gauge
    Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 3:03pm
Anyone have a reproduction gauge that's held up okay ? OE gauge is pretty pricey. Thanks
Sponsored Links

EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 3:54pm
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 4:29pm
They claim it is a functional gauge. Will be interesting to hear if it actually works but that would require you to sink a plow in the ground to be sure. Nice looking gauge.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 4:55pm
Reviews look ok
Thanks
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 7:30pm
I got one of those $99 traction booster gauges that was advertised to be a working gauge from a well known supplier once. After installing it the needle never moved. After giving the unit a good once over, I found the adapter/holder part of the gauge wasn't even drilled to allow pressure to the gauge also after testing the gauge by itself, the gauge was nothing more than a 15 PSI engine oil pressure gauge with a traction booster face. Needless to say I sent it back for a refund. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 8:04pm
Thanks Paul
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 8:32pm
I got one for a d14 from Alex and iT worked fine didn't cost that much 
rtwfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtwfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 1:27am
A and w tractor
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 5:30am
Thanks Randy and Ryan. Alex is who I've checked with too .
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 8:17am
There is a guy in Florida that runs 'Star Speedometer', at least I think that's right. Can't remember his name right off hand. He redoes tachs and speedo's, thinking of asking if he can refurb t-boost gauges this winter. Tach on the D-15 works, kind of. Needle is not clocked right. I have several t-boost gauges around here I would send him if he can fix them. Stay tuned.

I think Old Doug on here used to rufurb the originals too.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 8:25am
Haim does excellent work on tachometer’s but I’m not sure he does T-booster Gauges. Hard to find anyone to repair them. A phone can’t hurt, he may be able to direct you to someone that does.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 8:30am
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Haim does excellent work on tachometer’s but I’m not sure he does T-booster Gauges. Hard to find anyone to repair them. A phone can’t hurt, he may be able to direct you to someone that does.

Going to explore this during the off months. My list of things to do when things 'slow down' is already getting long.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 10:10am
Yeah , it would be nice to get the OE gauge rebuilt . Thanks 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

There is a guy in Florida that runs 'Star Speedometer', at least I think that's right. Can't remember his name right off hand. He redoes tachs and speedo's, thinking of asking if he can refurb t-boost gauges this winter. Tach on the D-15 works, kind of. Needle is not clocked right. I have several t-boost gauges around here I would send him if he can fix them. Stay tuned.

I think Old Doug on here used to rufurb the originals too.
Old Doug did them, but he hasn't been on the forum since 2014.  His name is Doug Hollberg  and his Email Address:  doug_hollberg@comcast.net  You could try and email him.

Also, I got this from Allis Dave about Tach repair.
"There's a guy that Bill Deppe recommended to me for my 185 tach.
386-569-5284. Tell him that Bill Deppe sent you.
Definitely the right person to send it to. Haim Zeevi is his name, he does excellent work. He has done 2 for me this year. Star Speedometer"

Gives you a place to start.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 8:47pm
HOLD EVERYTHING!!!!

Mike, it WAS NOT Old Doug, but Oldoug  aka Matt Folkers  (Folkers Restoration)  I don't know if he is still doing it or not.  I was always going to send him a couple of Traction Booster gauges to see if he could fix them, but just never got around to it.  You could PM him as he's still active.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Matt (Jordan,MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (Jordan,MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 12:00am
I have 2 reconditioned gauges on the shelf. They came in a parts buy out. I don't know who rebuilt them. it was not me. I will sell them both. I'm slowly working on getting these rebuilt. will be looking for a screw machine shop to make a special pin for them this winter. the pin rusts tight and then they don't work. it would be easier to drill them out and replace instead of trying to save the pin. hopefully I will have more rebuilt gauges this coming spring  
Owner of Matt Scott LLC
Specializing in NOS and used Allis Chalmers tractor & implement parts & liturature and Magneto Repair
http://www.mattscottllc.com/
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2023 at 6:46am
Good to see the interest in getting the originals rebuilt. I have working gauges on both 45's but that's it. The D-15, both CA's, and the D-17 don't work. Well, the 17 could but it's not looking promising!
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2023 at 8:19pm
Lots of old posts on here about traction boost gauges.
I bought a new one about 10 years ago and it cost about $150 then. It worked about 10 hours, then the gauge face filled with fluid and cracked the glass. I ended up buying a 5000PSI fluid filled gauge from Valley for about $30 and it's been working ever since.
Lots of others on here have had the new ones break as well.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2023 at 4:10am
Yeah Dave, a working and readable gauge is my goal. Also needs to fit in the gauge panel. Maybe the newer repop gauges are better now? It's on my wishlist. Thanks
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2023 at 5:01am
FYI, Alex has 1 NOS gauge if anyone is interested. Can't be many around. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic