This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD-45 Hydraulic modification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD-45 Hydraulic modification
    Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 12:46pm
I know of how folks have added two way hydraulic for the remote(s).. Has anyone converted the lift arm cylinders to two way?  That would require puting on two way rams with probably some adaptors to make it mount...

Reason I ask is even though I love using the NF WD45 for brush hogging, setting the desired height really is a challenge with the OEM get up. Very hard to find the hold position sweet spot. Ends up drifting up or down, although sometimes I do nail it.

Also, must one use two lift rams?  My D17 uses one....

Just a thought..... 
If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 1:12pm
The small link rod on the lift/lower lever needs to have LESS exposed rod at the top. Change it 1/4". Make sure Traction Booster screw down low is screwed INto the dimple on the side of the pump, disabling it.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 1:28pm
Oh yes I went thru all that years ago. Had the ball valve rebuilt as well.  It *works* but just not very good.  I find it annoying as hell.  At times I have to lift the mower due to obstacles then have to fuss with trying to get it set right again. 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 1:39pm
how about drop chains or a bar to LIMIT how far the arms will drop ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

how about drop chains or a bar to LIMIT how far the arms will drop ?

I like to get out of the 1920's if I could LOL!

Anyhoo some spots I want it higher, some lower....and when I want it low I like it just off the ground....Sometimes I mow like a finish mower, sometimes not.  I do an orchard and also some unused pasture land that gets quite high.

It interesting when the tractor is off the hold detent is easy to find--but when running its a lot hard to find....

TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 1:48pm
I really want to go to a flail mower someday, with the ability to shift the mower to the side as some do.  Would require two sets of ports...one for the up down, one for the left right.....and then power steering.  Love the NF as well...put power on that too..Turning on a dime is very beneficial between trees. 
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 2:41pm
As long as you cut at the same height and don't need to adjust up & down, hydraulic cylinder stop collars work well.  They are available at TSC.  On the other hand, if you need to constantly change cutting height they are not the answer because it's a manual thing & can't be done on the go.  You can still raise the mower but can't lower it more than the stops allow.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 9:21pm
does it have a snap coupler three point adapter , the snap coupler bell hook may need some washers moved where the big spring is thats the best i can describe that
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 4:16am
Originally posted by Dennis J OPKs Dennis J OPKs wrote:

As long as you cut at the same height and don't need to adjust up & down, hydraulic cylinder stop collars work well.  They are available at TSC.  On the other hand, if you need to constantly change cutting height they are not the answer because it's a manual thing & can't be done on the go.  You can still raise the mower but can't lower it more than the stops allow.

Will look into those. Not exactly what I want but may have to do when I am doing just "lawn mowing" where I dont have to adjust on the go.

Thanks!
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 4:18am
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

does it have a snap coupler three point adapter , the snap coupler bell hook may need some washers moved where the big spring is thats the best i can describe that

3 pt adapter. Not sure I follow? "Big spring" sounds like what is on a D17...
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 4:22am
The shims on the big coil spring for the Traction Booster on a WD-series has NOTHING to do with the hydraulic pump control if the screw is locked into the side of the pump housing. When the screw is locked that feature is inoperable,
JK in Pa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 8:43am
I installed two way cylinders on my WD years ago. I believe I bought them from Northern Tool. The only mod I did was make a heavier mount to side rail with one inch pin. I used only one side of the yoke with bushing to connect lift arms. Made a really neat looking job. Needless to say I have a front mount pump. I will try to get pictures if you want.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 8:54am
Originally posted by JK in Pa JK in Pa wrote:

I installed two way cylinders on my WD years ago. I believe I bought them from Northern Tool. The only mod I did was make a heavier mount to side rail with one inch pin. I used only one side of the yoke with bushing to connect lift arms. Made a really neat looking job. Needless to say I have a front mount pump. I will try to get pictures if you want.

That sounds interesting.. dont worry about the pics just yet...would like your contact via PM in case I would do it....tbh, looking at perhaps just getting a narrow front tractor with the hydraulics I need..(gasp! Traitor!!!)  Seems a Ford 960/961  might fit the bill. Ultimately I want to run a flail mower with a side shift feature..would have to really hack the WD45 to make it work right....I could perhaps find a D17SeriesIV NF (did they make NF?) but its too big.  I weave in an out of my orchard rows and the smaller the tractor profile the better.

Seems AC was wayyyy behind other brands in hydraulic features....
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 6:49pm
I put a live hyd pump that mount on the back of the governor with the distributor and is part of the hyd pump and use a 2 spool hyd valve and one spool is use for the rear lift arms and can stop the cly any place I want I used the cly that was on the old girl and it work great. I also have a 45 the the hold works like it should and isn't hard to fine once the system is set right and the pump is working good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic