This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 point hitch bottom plow?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 point hitch bottom plow?
    Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 8:39am
Never used one. See quite a few for sale. Seems to me if you hit a big root or rock bad things would happen fast? Any thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored Links

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 8:42am
most of the ones around here have a shear bolt on the beam for such episodes, high dollar ones are spring reset 
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 9:35am
Thanks Joe! That makes sense.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 10:16am
1st gear in rocky ground.
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 11:23am
Thanks Benny, going slow also makes sense
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 11:30am
I’ve hit buried rocks the size of VW Bugs, throw ya into the steering wheel, front end up then slams down. It ain’t fun, but I’ve never done anything more harmful than a broken point, tripped bottom, whatever. Frankly I don’t see what difference it would make?

Edited by Tbone95 - 03 Sep 2023 at 11:35am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 12:02pm
Makes no difference, snap-coupler, 3-point, fast hitch or pull type......rocks ain't good and faster is worser. Although, I do think snap-coupler is better in the sense that it can swing sideways while the others cannot.

Edited by DrAllis - 03 Sep 2023 at 12:03pm
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 2:14pm
Was plowing about 30 yrs. ago with my 200 and mod. 83 plow and kept tripping a bottom (maybe 2) at the same spot twice in a row. 2nd. time it brought a good sized piece of twisted up sheet metal. After looking at it up close, I could read "property of Pepsi cola co.". The guy that owned the place had buried an old pop machine in a tiny shallow pond and covered it up with dirt, just not enough.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 9:09pm
I was four or five riding on the deck of a Farmall 806 pulling the five bottom plow we had, and hit a stump. The ten thousand pound tractor reared up like the world shifted. My father laughed later how I gripped his pant leg.

I have heard of AC snap coupler plows swinging up and injuring owners.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 10:10pm
If a snap-coupler plow unhooks from the snap-coupler bell underneath (bad spring, rusty release linkage, mud packed in the bell assembly, etc) bad things can happen, especially if the wrong lift arm latches are being used. Nothing to do with rocks.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 5:08am

I have heard of AC snap coupler plows swinging up and injuring owners.
[/QUOTE]
I kind of harp on this because I see plows that started life as pin-coupler that got 'converted' to snap-coupler. Well, they got half converted, bolted on the eye and left the lift arm links original. If the plow comes uncoupled with the pin-coupler lift arm links it's going to hit the operator! Those latches aren't just for convenience hooking up, they are a safety device too.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 6:24am
Thanks guys. Good info!
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 8:44am
I have 2 ,3 bottom , 3pt AllisChalmers plows. Both have the shear bolt . Saw a nicer one at an auction with spring trips. Made the mistake of talking to a stranger about it and pointing out the spring mechanisms . Yep he bid it up and bought it . AC made a 2 bottom 3pt plow . Still looking.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 9:28am
Our diesel D 15 came with a snap coupler 3 bottom plow. Never had any luck using it. Should say we're pretty clueless. Haven't messed with it in a good while. Thanks
LYNNMN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LYNNMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 10:28am
Just sold 2 bottom 3 pt at Hutch this year
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic