This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tractor Tires/Tyres

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractor Tires/Tyres
    Posted: 19 Aug 2023 at 10:05am
Saw a thread below on preference of tractor tires. 
Interesting observation on Goodyear. About all the tires -bias ply - Goodyear supplied aftermarket and OEM  developed the "Goodyear Splits" on the sidewalls. 
The EXCEPTION  were the European Goodyear radials put on the AGCO Allis tractors such as the 5600-6600-7600-8600 tractors. We have seen these OEM radial tires out last replacement Firestone and other brands where one tire was cut or stabbed. We had a White 6065 (White SAME's had these as well)  with nearly 8000 hours with one OEM tire STILL with nearly 30% tread.  Wish all my domestic OEM Goodyears had served half as well..... these were 18.4-30, 34 and 38's.  Just an observation we observe when one comes in. 1991-1998
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2023 at 9:27am
Must have been the only good tires they made! I have passed on more than one tractor because they had dyna-torques on the rear! One WD in particular, if memory serves it had factory power steering on it. Added later I assume. Anyway the owner was really proud of the rubber on it. I told him, "Dude, that's why I'm not going to buy it." He wanted Firestone money for it. Been a little cheaper on price it might have come home.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2023 at 10:26am
Originally posted by tbran tbran wrote:

Saw a thread below on preference of tractor tires. 
Interesting observation on Goodyear. About all the tires -bias ply - Goodyear supplied aftermarket and OEM  developed the "Goodyear Splits" on the sidewalls. 
The EXCEPTION  were the European Goodyear radials put on the AGCO Allis tractors such as the 5600-6600-7600-8600 tractors. We have seen these OEM radial tires out last replacement Firestone and other brands where one tire was cut or stabbed. We had a White 6065 (White SAME's had these as well)  with nearly 8000 hours with one OEM tire STILL with nearly 30% tread.  Wish all my domestic OEM Goodyears had served half as well..... these were 18.4-30, 34 and 38's.  Just an observation we observe when one comes in. 1991-1998

Wow! Goodyear ag tires must have really gone down hill from the days I worked on farms. We had a Goodyear mobile service, about 30 miles from where I grew up, the only mobile service around that handled a ‘name brand’ line of tires at the time, this was in the mid ‘70’s to at least 1990ish. The vast majority of the equipment I used had Goodyear’s on them. Tractor tires were ‘Power Torque’ on the heavy tillage units, and the smaller tractor had ‘Traction Torque’ on them. There was a smattering of other brands, in the rest of the fleet. One Farmall 656 had Firestone’s on that one. Maybe an oddball Goodrich here or there. I never was much of a fan of Goodyear automotive tires.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2023 at 10:36am
My brother had one blow out the sidewall because it did the splits so bad….
My dad had to replace 4 18.4R46 with around 40% tread left because the sidewalls was giving out.
Yet I have a 45D with 16.9-28 bfgood rich tires that I think is original to a d17 and they have cracks in the tread but from getting rolled when they was low and they haven’t gotten any worse…
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2023 at 5:24pm
Good Year AG tires are made by Carlisle, who also owns Titan.

I found this out because I bought a brand new Kubota that had Carlisle Trac Loader R4's on it. My tractors are stored inside and only out in the sun when working.
All my sidewalls split big time!

Being kinda unhappy, I sent pics to Carlisle. And to my surprise they shipped me 4 brand new tires for free! They were very good to deal with. But anyway, I got talking to the woman and she gave me all kinds of info.

Unfortunately of the 4 new tires they sent me, the sidewalls of the rears all split open again. They never ever leaked or lost air, but look terrible.

But I bought another set 2 years ago already mounted on rims through Kubota Wholegoods and they have not cracked or split at all.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2023 at 7:26pm
My brother says “GoodYear means good for a year.”
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 8:34am
Originally posted by 1955CA 1955CA wrote:

I found this out because I bought a brand new Kubota that had Carlisle Trac Loader R4's on it. My tractors are stored inside and only out in the sun when working.

Being kinda unhappy, I sent pics to Carlisle. And to my surprise they shipped me 4 brand new tires for free! They were very good to deal with. But anyway, I got talking to the woman and she gave me all kinds of info.

Unfortunately of the 4 new tires they sent me, the sidewalls of the rears all split open again. They never ever leaked or lost air, but look terrible.

But I bought another set 2 years ago already mounted on rims through Kubota Wholegoods and they have not cracked or split at all.

When did Carlisle absorb Titan/Goodyear? Last I knew, Titan was still it's own thing.
bemer848 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bemer848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 10:21am
My 2016 GMC truck was 2 years old with Good for a year tires and I was getting ready for a 2000 mile road trip and checked the spare tire it was flat started putting air in it and cords was showing. The tire was 2 years old and never been drove on and rotted I will never have a Good Year on any thing.
1955CA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Originally posted by 1955CA 1955CA wrote:

When did Carlisle absorb Titan/Goodyear? Last I knew, Titan was still it's own thing.

At least as far back as 2013 when I spoke to Carlisle. And they didn't absorb Good Year.....they just made an agreement to manufacture only the agricultural tires for Good Year and the small R4's and R14's.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 12:48pm
I was at a convention for waste disposal equipment a few years ago and Goodyear had a booth set up, showing some of their industrial and ag tires. I got chatting to the guy at the booth, who turned out to be not one of the usual salesmen/reps that go to these shows, but one of their engineers. When I found this out I took the opportunity to tell him about how I wasn't impressed by Goodyear AG tires.

He was a very chatty guy, and told me that the emphasis in new product development had very much switched away from trying to improve carcass strength and wear rate, to being able to handle extended UV and ozone exposure. He said that exposure/cracking was causing far more failures than carcass/sidewall splits, so that's where the emphasis was going. But he also conceded that (as in all businesses) there was always time/money pressure, and some of the changes they were making to better handle continuous UV/ozone exposure might have adversely affected the carcass/ply strength. They simply had not been given the time to test them that they used to. But he said they were aware of problems - especially with the Ag tires, and a product development team was working to correct. He also acknowledged that QC had hit the fan for a while while they switched factories, but said it had gotten way better.

I'm not sure how much of this is true, but I think he might have been telling the truth with the UV exposure work at Goodyear. I have Goodyears on my 180 and a Deere 2120. While I'm not overly impressed with how fast they're wearing, they have no checking/sun cracks in them, and these are tractors that have to stay outside a lot. In comparison, I have Firestones of a similar age on one of my Fords and a Fordson. The treads are hardly wearing at all, but they have a fair amount of checking/sun cracks starting to show.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic